Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94844 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #925 on: August 16, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »
look at ny, people are hosting big block parties.  same in la.  would it hurt? no of course not.  this is a very american problem

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 17, 2020, 07:33:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/nellyfish_13/status/1294802260791369734
Once again, why do people expect to see people wearing masks in bars

If bars are allowed to open, there will be unmasked people. Blame officials for letting bars to open and students to come back to campus, I think it's dumb to blame the students.

I think the lack of distancing is the bigger issue, and I do agree with you that the fault lies with the city of Manhattan and Riley County. The mayor's role in documenting what's happening is interesting. To me the fix is pretty easy, close Manhattan Ave., Moro, and 12th streets in Aggieville after 10:00PM and allow the bars to serve and outside.

Yes, the students should do the right thing but there are lots of laws created to save us from ourselves including distancing and mask laws in other places. The government has an obligation to protect the people in the community that aren't hanging out in Aggieville.

This is absolutely what should be done, although I would close the streets down earlier / altogether on Fridays and Saturdays.

What does time have to do with anything?  Amount of people?

Have you never been to Aggieville? Do you not realize most of the businesses there aren't bars that rely on business from people other than 21 year olds trying to get laid?

Of course I have and do realize this.  I'm not sure choosing 10 as the witching hour would be the solution.  They'll just go down a little earlier or cram the outside areas as you suggested.  It's not a bad idea but as you said it falls on making more stringent rules/laws.  And as wacky suggested, they'll just find other avenues such as fraternities or house parties. 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 17, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
Some universities are already battling coronavirus outbreaks, including the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill — where four viral clusters have emerged one week after in-person classes started — and Oklahoma State University, where a single sorority house has 23 confirmed cases.
At Auburn University, wide receiver Anthony Schwartz tweeted Saturday that he had “seen crowds of people and none of them are wearing masks.” Chris Owens, a center at the University of Alabama, tweeted a photo on Sunday afternoon of a crowd of students with barely any face coverings in sight, asking: “How about we social distance and have more than a literal handful of people wear a mask? Is that too much to ask Tuscaloosa?”

https://twitter.com/chriscmooney/status/1295332142822686720

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 17, 2020, 08:56:32 AM »
Some universities are already battling coronavirus outbreaks, including the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill — where four viral clusters have emerged one week after in-person classes started — and Oklahoma State University, where a single sorority house has 23 confirmed cases.
At Auburn University, wide receiver Anthony Schwartz tweeted Saturday that he had “seen crowds of people and none of them are wearing masks.” Chris Owens, a center at the University of Alabama, tweeted a photo on Sunday afternoon of a crowd of students with barely any face coverings in sight, asking: “How about we social distance and have more than a literal handful of people wear a mask? Is that too much to ask Tuscaloosa?”

https://twitter.com/chriscmooney/status/1295332142822686720
Yeah

https://twitter.com/zwirnm/status/1295332800669810689

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 17, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »
UAB-Med is testing every college student in Alabama.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: August 17, 2020, 09:48:18 AM »
anyone actually surprised by this?

There's no way anyone actually is, like we were all horned up 21 year olds at one point, right?

There's an awful lot of finger wagging. And really, we've seen similar behavior all over the country from all ages of people. Open up bars and this is what happens

Same damn story led the news up here about flood aggie
We saw Sturgis, too

I do think Sturgis is different than what's happening in college towns. Nobody made those boomers and Xers go up to South Dakota. They are also 2 to 3 times older than these college kids. You can't send these kids to these small towns then tell them they can only have part of the experience. You send your kid to college, I would think you are sending them with the expectation they are going to do college stuff.
Re: Sturgis
I had reason to be in the area of Sturgis last weekend (not related to the motorcycle rally) and have enjoyed you all finger wagging and #boomermeming, but how about we take a data driven approach instead?  This is imperfect of course, since vast numbers of people travel in to Sturgis and then leave a week later, but there can be some value in looking at the infection numbers of Meade and Pennington counties.  The day before Sturgis started the total active cases for those two counties was 139.  Today the total active cases are 135, net -4.  I will check back in the next week but so far it appears the communal mask shaming and assumption of a certain outbreak has been unwarranted...so far. 

I think we will find this can be applied to students returning to college as well.  Bringing together low risk, low infection rate populations from a large area and concentrating them in one location does not inherently mean there will be an outbreak and that everyone's grandma is being murdered.  There will be a few campuses that have issues of course, but most will probably be fine.  It is way too early but Riley County has 60 active cases as of today, we will see where this goes in the next few weeks. 
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 17, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
Looks like Fedor drank all of his optimism juice this morning.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 17, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »
Looks like Fedor drank all of his optimism juice this morning.
I am in a bubble, completely unaffected by the 'rona w/ no one I know getting it, so it comes pretty easy I guess.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 17, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »
 :surprised:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 17, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »
city of Manhattan just approved 25% capacity for ark st. game

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 17, 2020, 12:07:44 PM »
*Riley County

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 17, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2020/8/17/k-state-approved-for-reduced-capacity-during-2020-football-season.aspx

Quick hits:

25% capacity
Must wear facemask all times
No reentry
No tailgating
Booze sold to everyone in the stadium
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 17, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »
banning tailgating but increasing booze in the stadium is an interesting touch

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 17, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »

very carrot and stick approach
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 17, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »

Mask all the time unless drinking = boozed up 25% full stadium

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 17, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »
anyone actually surprised by this?

There's no way anyone actually is, like we were all horned up 21 year olds at one point, right?

There's an awful lot of finger wagging. And really, we've seen similar behavior all over the country from all ages of people. Open up bars and this is what happens

Same damn story led the news up here about flood aggie
We saw Sturgis, too

I do think Sturgis is different than what's happening in college towns. Nobody made those boomers and Xers go up to South Dakota. They are also 2 to 3 times older than these college kids. You can't send these kids to these small towns then tell them they can only have part of the experience. You send your kid to college, I would think you are sending them with the expectation they are going to do college stuff.
Re: Sturgis
I had reason to be in the area of Sturgis last weekend (not related to the motorcycle rally) and have enjoyed you all finger wagging and #boomermeming, but how about we take a data driven approach instead?  This is imperfect of course, since vast numbers of people travel in to Sturgis and then leave a week later, but there can be some value in looking at the infection numbers of Meade and Pennington counties.  The day before Sturgis started the total active cases for those two counties was 139.  Today the total active cases are 135, net -4.  I will check back in the next week but so far it appears the communal mask shaming and assumption of a certain outbreak has been unwarranted...so far. 

I think we will find this can be applied to students returning to college as well.  Bringing together low risk, low infection rate populations from a large area and concentrating them in one location does not inherently mean there will be an outbreak and that everyone's grandma is being murdered.  There will be a few campuses that have issues of course, but most will probably be fine.  It is way too early but Riley County has 60 active cases as of today, we will see where this goes in the next few weeks.

How many locals, other than those working in bars and restaurants, we're hanging out with the hordes of bikers? I saw a story that said the locals seemed to be split on whether they should have had the rally. If they had low numbers before and committed to some level of distancing, the issue wouldn't be with the locals but with the throngs of people going there then taking it back to wherever they came from and points in between.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 17, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
Tuscaloosa Bar owners are pissed about the pics showing up because they (correctly) say they're not responsible for enforcing mask orders 50 yards  away on a public sidewalk.   They say that they only allowed people with masks and limited occupancy inside their establishments.   Bars do have to cutoff the booze early as well.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 17, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »
***Insert KU selling tickets as usual to get 25% attendance joke***
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: August 17, 2020, 01:18:13 PM »
I don't think Sturgis is good approximation for a MHK football weekend - I haven't been to Sturgis on 20 years but then and I imagine even more so now that most residents leave town during the rally unless they have business that serve the rally.  Locals would rent out homes and the Main Street shops would all clear out to become bars or biker related shops.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 17, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »
I don't think Sturgis is good approximation for a MHK football weekend - I haven't been to Sturgis on 20 years but then and I imagine even more so now that most residents leave town during the rally unless they have business that serve the rally.  Locals would rent out homes and the Main Street shops would all clear out to become bars or biker related shops.

The one thing you're missing is the bikers are generally very healthy ppl.  Ppl that are sick do not ride thousands of miles in the wind and heat.  My guess is there are very few if any that have the virus.  Also, being outdoors in the sun increase vitamin D which increases resistance to the virus.  And if there are those that are asystematic the virus would be all over the surfaces that would spread to the locals.  The facts that there are less cases now then when it began should spell things out to the uninformed.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 17, 2020, 02:02:33 PM »

The one thing you're missing is the bikers are generally very healthy ppl.  Ppl that are sick do not ride thousands of miles in the wind and heat.  My guess is there are very few if any that have the virus.  Also, being outdoors in the sun increase vitamin D which increases resistance to the virus.  And if there are those that are asystematic the virus would be all over the surfaces that would spread to the locals.  The facts that there are less cases now then when it began should spell things out to the uninformed.
Um...what? I'm admittedly stereotyping here but I would bet that a good portion of the attendees at Sturgis are tobacco users and/or abuse alcohol.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 17, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
One of my friends is the chapter advisor for our FRAT up at Kstate and I asked him how it was going.....

There have been students in the house for less than a week and they currently have 5 people that have tested positive so far, all sent home until they are negative. Any who had 30 minutes or more of maskless interaction with the people who tested positive are supposed to quarantine at the house for a week or something like that.

Sounds like a giant clusterfuck.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 17, 2020, 02:57:05 PM »
One of my friends is the chapter advisor for our FRAT up at Kstate and I asked him how it was going.....

There have been students in the house for less than a week and they currently have 5 people that have tested positive so far, all sent home until they are negative. Any who had 30 minutes or more of maskless interaction with the people who tested positive are supposed to quarantine at the house for a week or something like that.

Sounds like a giant clusterfuck.

Why aren't they being quarantined in Manhattan? I thought the university was using the Kramer complex for that?