Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 95997 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #975 on: August 18, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »
This will be 100% of schools within 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 18, 2020, 06:38:54 PM »

Shawnee Mission school district just switched too remote.  They will re-evaluate it every week or so tho, as the county health department gives their red/yellow/green rating.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 18, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »
Imagine the cheating on exams for athletes in the Covid era. LHC Bill Snyder and Tom Osborne would have been playing in the NC every season until they died.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 18, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
I’m still holding on
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 18, 2020, 07:53:02 PM »
I am willing to bet we don't have fans after the first game.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 18, 2020, 07:58:47 PM »
Unless we win a lot, I'll be distancing myself from the games on my TV.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 18, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »
I didn't brother to buy season because I plan on watching the games on TV.
 :thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 19, 2020, 12:35:40 AM »

Flood Aggie have tested their entire student body and staff and they tested at a very respectful 2.2%, way lower than the surrounding communities. The problem is now that they are only going to test symptomatic students and staff. These people aren't in a bubble and the surrounding counties are testing at higher positive percentages.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 19, 2020, 07:54:49 AM »

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/08/how-a-cardiologist-may-have-saved-the-college-football-season.html

The Minnesota-based cardiologist leads the Windland Smith Rice Sudden Death Genomics Lab which studies, among other things, sudden death in young athletes. He explained to the Big 12?s leaders that a new myocarditis study in the Journal of American Medical Association that sparked panic across college sports didn’t have the “bandwidth” to be transferable in a useful way. The study, conducted in Germany and composed of middle-aged adults, found that 78 percent of the 100 participants had some cardiac abnormality. Ackerman said it’d be a “scientific foul” to infer that those findings are relevant for 18 to 24-year old athletes.

"You cannot make that leap," Ackerman exclaimed.

Ackerman pushed for the Big 12 to consider additional heart-related protocols to mitigate any possible risks, with the conference adopting plans to test athletes who had the coronavirus with an EKG, cardiac MRI, echocardiogram and troponin blood test. He stressed that any player who contracts COVID-19 needs to have a “squeaky clean cardiac evaluation” before getting the go-ahead to return to play. He cautioned them to consider possible mental health ramifications of canceling a season, referencing past experiences with athletes who suffered after being medically disqualified for heart issues.

Citing his own experience in dealing with non-zero risk situations with patients every day, he provided a path forward for college conferences hoping to play college football this fall.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 19, 2020, 07:56:23 AM »
Obviously, it does not address the other open argument about one's role in further spreading the disease, which seems to be the most significant difference of opinions between any "sides" in this.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 19, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »
If they could show me that they are NOT materially increasing the spread of COVID, I'd be all-in on them playing. The problem is that the cannot do that. Not with college kids.  With the NBA, sure that works.  With the NFL, we'll see.   I'm sort of on the fence about it now with college kids.  I am 100% in favor of social distancing and mandatory masks, but this shut down for shut down sake is preposterous.  The student health argument is a dead end, and not real, IMO.  It's the ethics of being a "spreader" that concern me.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 19, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
If they could show me that they are NOT materially increasing the spread of COVID, I'd be all-in on them playing. The problem is that the cannot do that. Not with college kids.  With the NBA, sure that works.  With the NFL, we'll see.   I'm sort of on the fence about it now with college kids.  I am 100% in favor of social distancing and mandatory masks, but this shut down for shut down sake is preposterous.  The student health argument is a dead end, and not real, IMO.  It's the ethics of being a "spreader" that concern me.

This is a good comment, thank you pete.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 19, 2020, 09:14:22 AM »

This is a good comment, thank you pete.
I am sorry to report that young people can't stay away from each other.
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 19, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »

I agree 100%, IMO it's always been about the impact on the communities despite the Clay Travises of the world focusing on low risk to the players. I agree it's low risk to the players! But not their staff, professors, or communities at large.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 19, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »

I agree 100%, IMO it's always been about the impact on the communities despite the Clay Travises of the world focusing on low risk to the players. I agree it's low risk to the players! But not their staff, professors, or communities at large.

Yes.  I think player health was pitched by people who knew sports had to be canceled in order to try to get support from weirdos who hate masks, distancing, etc.  That track ended up making some forget the exponentially more important reasons to not play a sport that has caravans of people smashing into each other, mingling with those in the smash city and then going to another city to do it again.

So now you have a bunch of myocarditis debates that are irrelevant.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: August 19, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »

Yes.  I think player health was pitched by people who knew sports had to be canceled in order to try to get support from weirdos who hate masks, distancing, etc.  That track ended up making some forget the exponentially more important reasons to not play a sport that has caravans of people smashing into each other, mingling with those in the smash city and then going to another city to do it again.

So now you have a bunch of myocarditis debates that are irrelevant.

Yep

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 20, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »
I love fooboo but this is absurd. Just pull the plug.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 20, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »
I cannot in good conscience advocate for player safety based on potential heart inflammation when I was ok knowing they were all risking serious long term brain injuries.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 20, 2020, 01:22:01 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 20, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 20, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 20, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
OMG

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 21, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »
Wichita GWAL says they are out for this fall.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile