Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 93597 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #525 on: August 01, 2020, 09:42:18 PM »
The connectivity of this straw house all along was the willingness of the players to play. Well...
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29578950/pac-12-player-group-threatens-opt-makes-list-demands-injustice-safety

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
What Kashi is saying is "let them get it, they won't go to the hospital" which is honestly a better plan than the delay and pray plan that everyone seems to be embracing

https://twitter.com/BelieveBoston_/status/1289669919655825414

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 01, 2020, 09:44:43 PM »
What Kashi is saying is "let them get it, they won't go to the hospital" which is honestly a better plan than the delay and pray plan that everyone seems to be embracing

https://twitter.com/BelieveBoston_/status/1289669919655825414
But did he die?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 01, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
no coffin, no foul

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 01, 2020, 10:23:10 PM »
Kashi, Check out Clay Travis (@ClayTravis): https://twitter.com/ClayTravis?s=09
what do you want me to check out. there is a lot of stuff on his twitter page

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 01, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »
Baseball has shown there is no shot they can finish a fall season. I wish they would just pack it up and start working on getting a spring season going. That being said a spring season won't be as easy as some think. The TV thing will be a real problem. There won't be any new scripted episodes of television until fall of 2021 so college football and basketball will have to play a lot of weeknight games if both are going in the fall. College Basketball will probably have to give up Thursday nights and all day each Saturday.
im not smart enough to know what the right answer is but what is it about baseball that tells you they can't finish a season? positive tests? EVERYONE in the world is planning on positive tests. what is happening in baseball is being planned for. it is expected. the plan for baseball is to play through it. the plan for college fb is to play through it. the only thing that will stop it is the look of it that media will paint and some parents of athletes might have. as far as i know, with all these positive tests the last 2 months in college athletes i am unaware of a single hospitalization. i believe the virus is serious and i dont think we should sacrifice the elderly for our sake and i wear a mask everywhere i go but i will also admit the media ONLY reports the dark side of the virus. They NEVER report ALL the millions who have recovered with virtually no symptoms or all the college athletes who have tested positive with almost no symptoms. if the media wanted to tell a different side of the story there is one out there. I'm in sales and it would be pretty easy to sell a positive side of what is a dark story

What is it? Simple. MLB has 30 teams of 30 players, that's 900 players they have to keep safe and sheltered. Bear in mind that these are grown ass men. The Big 12 alone, the smallest of the top 6 conferences, has more players than that to protect. In addition to this baseball players are supposedly doing nothing more than going from their hotel rooms to the ballpark and back again. We know college football players won't be doing this. They are young men, in their teens and early 20's, who not only are not in a bubble or sequestered in a hotel, but they are spending all of their time with other 18-22 year olds who have no reason and very little motivation to keep their asses at home.

Think what you will about football happening without other students on campus, but that would be the only way this will work. You are essentially asking for all of the students, at every major college campus, to wear masks and maintain social distancing, and even with all of this, that only minimizes the chance of spreading coronavirus, it doesn't eliminate it.
i guess i'm asking what is it about baseball that has been so horrible? i guess if you are saying we cannot tolerate any positive covid tests then yes any sport will be in "trouble". There have been at least 1000 positive tests in college fb players that have been verified. probably 100s of others that haven't been documented. I haven't read of a single hospitalization. I'm not saying it couldn't happen or won't happen. But other than some positive tests and a majority that are asymptomatic what is it about it that makes it a disaster? i dont want to get sick and dont want anyone else to get sick either but so far there's hardly been any athletes even report symptoms. if our goal is zero infections then yes we cannot have football. i'm just wondering if we have a few thousand infections and the majority are asymptomatic and none require hospitalizations is that unacceptable? i know we dont know everything about this virus but we so readily accept other viruses and diseases in our athletes that we dont even try to prevent them. we dont try at all. i'm not saying i know the answer im just asking questions. we expose these very same athletes without any precautions to every other virus on the planet and most of the time any of those viruses carry a bigger symptom burden than the coronavirus. so the only explanation i can come up with is the unknown variable with covid

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:10 PM »
The players who get coronavirus in their petri dishes of empty stadiums will spread it across the rest of the country that they're traveling around to. 

We're all gonna be chip'd w/in half a year so it's dumb to rush out a super-spreader activity in the meantime.  Sports schedules can be weird for a few years.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 01, 2020, 11:19:23 PM »

The players who get coronavirus in their petri dishes of empty stadiums will spread it across the rest of the country that they're traveling around to. 

Some people just prefer to be blissfully ignorant

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 02, 2020, 01:18:58 AM »
Baseball has shown there is no shot they can finish a fall season. I wish they would just pack it up and start working on getting a spring season going. That being said a spring season won't be as easy as some think. The TV thing will be a real problem. There won't be any new scripted episodes of television until fall of 2021 so college football and basketball will have to play a lot of weeknight games if both are going in the fall. College Basketball will probably have to give up Thursday nights and all day each Saturday.
im not smart enough to know what the right answer is but what is it about baseball that tells you they can't finish a season? positive tests? EVERYONE in the world is planning on positive tests. what is happening in baseball is being planned for. it is expected. the plan for baseball is to play through it. the plan for college fb is to play through it. the only thing that will stop it is the look of it that media will paint and some parents of athletes might have. as far as i know, with all these positive tests the last 2 months in college athletes i am unaware of a single hospitalization. i believe the virus is serious and i dont think we should sacrifice the elderly for our sake and i wear a mask everywhere i go but i will also admit the media ONLY reports the dark side of the virus. They NEVER report ALL the millions who have recovered with virtually no symptoms or all the college athletes who have tested positive with almost no symptoms. if the media wanted to tell a different side of the story there is one out there. I'm in sales and it would be pretty easy to sell a positive side of what is a dark story

What is it? Simple. MLB has 30 teams of 30 players, that's 900 players they have to keep safe and sheltered. Bear in mind that these are grown ass men. The Big 12 alone, the smallest of the top 6 conferences, has more players than that to protect. In addition to this baseball players are supposedly doing nothing more than going from their hotel rooms to the ballpark and back again. We know college football players won't be doing this. They are young men, in their teens and early 20's, who not only are not in a bubble or sequestered in a hotel, but they are spending all of their time with other 18-22 year olds who have no reason and very little motivation to keep their asses at home.

Think what you will about football happening without other students on campus, but that would be the only way this will work. You are essentially asking for all of the students, at every major college campus, to wear masks and maintain social distancing, and even with all of this, that only minimizes the chance of spreading coronavirus, it doesn't eliminate it.
i guess i'm asking what is it about baseball that has been so horrible? i guess if you are saying we cannot tolerate any positive covid tests then yes any sport will be in "trouble". There have been at least 1000 positive tests in college fb players that have been verified. probably 100s of others that haven't been documented. I haven't read of a single hospitalization. I'm not saying it couldn't happen or won't happen. But other than some positive tests and a majority that are asymptomatic what is it about it that makes it a disaster? i dont want to get sick and dont want anyone else to get sick either but so far there's hardly been any athletes even report symptoms. if our goal is zero infections then yes we cannot have football. i'm just wondering if we have a few thousand infections and the majority are asymptomatic and none require hospitalizations is that unacceptable? i know we dont know everything about this virus but we so readily accept other viruses and diseases in our athletes that we dont even try to prevent them. we dont try at all. i'm not saying i know the answer im just asking questions. we expose these very same athletes without any precautions to every other virus on the planet and most of the time any of those viruses carry a bigger symptom burden than the coronavirus. so the only explanation i can come up with is the unknown variable with covid

Your posts are too long and you need to use paragraphs. College football will be significantly worse than anything that has happened in baseball, in a massive way. I thought I made that point, I guess I didn't.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »

Your posts are too long and you need to use paragraphs. College football will be significantly worse than anything that has happened in baseball, in a massive way. I thought I made that point, I guess I didn't.
you mean more positive tests? i agree. i'm asking if more positive tests is a disaster? if no one gets hospitalized and few even have symptoms and these players are spending their first semester at school and not around their families are isolated positive tests without symptoms all that terrible of a thing?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 02, 2020, 06:29:53 PM »
You are a dumb SOB.  If you read anything about this virus, you would relealize there are long term health effects.  As Clams stated, "no coffin, no foul".  Seems like you don't give a eff about these young men; just as long as you can sit on your fat ass and enjoy some college football. 

Would be nice if your employer felt the same way about you.  Think about that you MAGA bad person.       
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 02, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »
You are a dumb SOB.  If you read anything about this virus, you would relealize there are long term health effects.  As Clams stated, "no coffin, no foul".  Seems like you don't give a eff about these young men; just as long as you can sit on your fat ass and enjoy some college football. 

Would be nice if your employer felt the same way about you.  Think about that you MAGA bad person.     
what? no one has said they know there are long term health effects. They have said they dont know that answer. how could anyone possibly know that answer? it hasn't been long term yet. the only thing they have said about long term is they dont know the answer. Now the very sick people may take a very long time to recover and its possible some of them have some sort of long term effects but that is not the topic of this discussion. we are talking about predominantly asymptomatic cases or at worst mild cases that go away within a week.  What long term health effects can you document in people who were asymptomatic or very mild disease? and how can it be long term when it hasn't been a but a couple months?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 03, 2020, 12:59:45 AM »

what? no one has said they know there are long term health effects. They have said they dont know that answer. how could anyone possibly know that answer? it hasn't been long term yet. the only thing they have said about long term is they dont know the answer. Now the very sick people may take a very long time to recover and its possible some of them have some sort of long term effects but that is not the topic of this discussion. we are talking about predominantly asymptomatic cases or at worst mild cases that go away within a week.  What long term health effects can you document in people who were asymptomatic or very mild disease? and how can it be long term when it hasn't been a but a couple months?

Damn, that's your argument?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 03, 2020, 07:36:11 AM »
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

The early returns seem not great on long term health effects. Smallish study, relatively short term, but a reason for pessimism.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 03, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
there could be zero hospitalizations and zero long term effects for players and it would still be extremely foolish to play college football while other students are on campus

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 03, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
Unlike the students going for their degree the athletic scholarship students have to do what the AD requires to keep their eligibility.  Most don't have a way to get a degree w/o the scholarship.  So they are mumped on decisions regarding their health.  This whole thing stinks for these kids.  Look at what happened at WSU. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2020, 01:16:21 PM »
Unlike the students going for their degree the athletic scholarship students have to do what the AD requires to keep their eligibility.  Most don't have a way to get a degree w/o the scholarship.  So they are mumped on decisions regarding their health.  This whole thing stinks for these kids.  Look at what happened at WSU.
thats just flat wrong. any athlete who chooses not to play still gets their scholarship and everything else. they do not have to play. where did you come up with this crap?

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »

The early returns seem not great on long term health effects. Smallish study, relatively short term, but a reason for pessimism.
i agree this is concerning. as the authors state they did not include asymptomatic individuals in this study. so they probably need to study asymptomatic patients to see if this applies to them as well. This is why KSU med staff is doing follow up heart studies before positive players are allowed to return to conditioning drills. there is a lot more we dont know about this than we do know. I haven't googled it but is the flu associated with similar heart enzyme abnormalities? i do know a lot of different viruses can cause systemic inflammation including myocarditis. this would make corona similar to others but i dont think anyone has compared the incidence rate between the viruses. the number in this study seems pretty high though. not sure what incidence is with flu

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2020, 07:32:51 PM »

i agree this is concerning. as the authors state they did not include asymptomatic individuals in this study. so they probably need to study asymptomatic patients to see if this applies to them as well. This is why KSU med staff is doing follow up heart studies before positive players are allowed to return to conditioning drills. there is a lot more we dont know about this than we do know. I haven't googled it but is the flu associated with similar heart enzyme abnormalities? i do know a lot of different viruses can cause systemic inflammation including myocarditis. this would make corona similar to others but i dont think anyone has compared the incidence rate between the viruses. the number in this study seems pretty high though. not sure what incidence is with flu
sounds like myocarditis is a common complication of flu viruses. Most often people dont even know they have it. A few have complications related to it. Maybe we should be doing more to prevent flu spread than we do? as a society we dont seem to give a rats ass if anyone gets the flu

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2020, 07:37:40 PM »
kashi I get a flu vaccine every year along with almost half of the country. back when I had an office they came and gave them every year. if you have health insurance, it's probably free but you're probably right that it should be free for everyone.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 03, 2020, 08:44:02 PM »
IT’S THE FLU :runaway:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 03, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »
Darren Rovell with a terrible tweet but there is at least one example of a hospitalization (at least the ER)

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1290406145866301443

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 03, 2020, 10:34:19 PM »
rutgers team and staff are blowing up w c19

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 03, 2020, 10:34:58 PM »
rutgers team and staff are blowing up w c19
This might be their best season yet if they can keep this up