Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 93581 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2020, 10:23:51 PM »
Hello BYU

I am very MEH on adding BYU as a full time member of the big12 but think a 1 year trial run this year to get us 10 conference games would be a good idea.

(not that we will actually play 10 games but just in case)

We can get them for one year similar to the ACC with Nortre Dame.  Also, ACC, SEC, and BIG Ten are playing 10 games so with BYU we could comply with P5.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 31, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
U of Nebraska has spaced out classrooms enough to compliantly not have to suspend classes for any positive cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No group projects in college would've be a huge bonus

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 31, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »
SEC clownsuits the Big 12. This is really smart

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29566090/sec-play-10-game-conference-only-football-schedule
I think the Big 12 is being pretty clever about this. 

Wait until all the other conferences bail out on OOC --> set 10 game schedule w/ byu because there's no one to play in OOC anyway --> collect cancellation penalties from teams who bailed --> profit

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 31, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »
Hello BYU

I am very MEH on adding BYU as a full time member of the big12 but think a 1 year trial run this year to get us 10 conference games would be a good idea.

We didn't have to give them anything, they have their own tv deal they can hang onto. Anyway,

https://twitter.com/mattmosley/status/1289252041034887171

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 31, 2020, 04:11:37 PM »
Maybe the Big 12 just play 10 games, with the 10th being playing your in-state rival twice :fatty:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 31, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »
Iowa State can just go eff themselves twice.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 31, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »
Yes, they take two losses there

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 01, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
Honestly, I think most know that college football won't exist this fall. People are just holding on to the same false hope as the "it'll disappear in April just like the flu" kinda stuff. There is no way they can have football in the form we know it. Once students get on campus it'll become a petri dish of COVID. We might get like 2 or 3 games in before we get the season yanked from us in the same way the MLB is probably about to go.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 01, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »
Still happening
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 01, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »
Baseball has shown there is no shot they can finish a fall season. I wish they would just pack it up and start working on getting a spring season going. That being said a spring season won't be as easy as some think. The TV thing will be a real problem. There won't be any new scripted episodes of television until fall of 2021 so college football and basketball will have to play a lot of weeknight games if both are going in the fall. College Basketball will probably have to give up Thursday nights and all day each Saturday.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
Baseball has shown there is no shot they can finish a fall season. I wish they would just pack it up and start working on getting a spring season going. That being said a spring season won't be as easy as some think. The TV thing will be a real problem. There won't be any new scripted episodes of television until fall of 2021 so college football and basketball will have to play a lot of weeknight games if both are going in the fall. College Basketball will probably have to give up Thursday nights and all day each Saturday.
I saw an interview with an old Clemson coach and he had a decent point that two full seasons in a calendar year (spring and fall) would be hard on bodies. He might be overstating it, but he has a point.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 01, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »
I saw an interview with an old Clemson coach and he had a decent point that two full seasons in a calendar year (spring and fall) would be hard on bodies. He might be overstating it, but he has a point.

give everyone an extra year of eligibility and enough scholarships to (temporarily) accommodate that.  maybe some sort of maximum number of minutes played to force coaches to use the extra players.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2020, 04:59:21 PM »

give everyone an extra year of eligibility and enough scholarships to (temporarily) accommodate that.  maybe some sort of maximum number of minutes played to force coaches to use the extra players.

They are doing that, it was stated in the Big XII media article.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »

Yeah, a spring season would have to be shorter and fall '21 would have to start later.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 01, 2020, 06:30:33 PM »
Hello BYU

We didn't have to give them anything, they have their own tv deal they can hang onto. Anyway,

https://twitter.com/mattmosley/status/1289252041034887171

F BYU.  I would benefit more than anyone on this board and I don’t want them anywhere near our conference.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
They are doing that, it was stated in the Big XII media article.

that's good.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2020, 07:01:28 PM »
im not smart enough to know what the right answer is but what is it about baseball that tells you they can't finish a season? positive tests? EVERYONE in the world is planning on positive tests. what is happening in baseball is being planned for. it is expected. the plan for baseball is to play through it. the plan for college fb is to play through it. the only thing that will stop it is the look of it that media will paint and some parents of athletes might have. as far as i know, with all these positive tests the last 2 months in college athletes i am unaware of a single hospitalization. i believe the virus is serious and i dont think we should sacrifice the elderly for our sake and i wear a mask everywhere i go but i will also admit the media ONLY reports the dark side of the virus. They NEVER report ALL the millions who have recovered with virtually no symptoms or all the college athletes who have tested positive with almost no symptoms. if the media wanted to tell a different side of the story there is one out there. I'm in sales and it would be pretty easy to sell a positive side of what is a dark story

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2020, 07:05:39 PM »
Kashi, Check out Clay Travis (@ClayTravis): https://twitter.com/ClayTravis?s=09

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »
I would also recommend sight unseen Kevin Keitzman’s upcoming new podcast

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:39:45 PM by steve dave »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2020, 09:18:56 PM »
I would also recommend sight I seen Kevin Keitzman’s upcoming new podcast

could not have said it better myself

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 01, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »
im not smart enough to know what the right answer is but what is it about baseball that tells you they can't finish a season? positive tests? EVERYONE in the world is planning on positive tests. what is happening in baseball is being planned for. it is expected. the plan for baseball is to play through it. the plan for college fb is to play through it. the only thing that will stop it is the look of it that media will paint and some parents of athletes might have. as far as i know, with all these positive tests the last 2 months in college athletes i am unaware of a single hospitalization. i believe the virus is serious and i dont think we should sacrifice the elderly for our sake and i wear a mask everywhere i go but i will also admit the media ONLY reports the dark side of the virus. They NEVER report ALL the millions who have recovered with virtually no symptoms or all the college athletes who have tested positive with almost no symptoms. if the media wanted to tell a different side of the story there is one out there. I'm in sales and it would be pretty easy to sell a positive side of what is a dark story

What is it? Simple. MLB has 30 teams of 30 players, that's 900 players they have to keep safe and sheltered. Bear in mind that these are grown ass men. The Big 12 alone, the smallest of the top 6 conferences, has more players than that to protect. In addition to this baseball players are supposedly doing nothing more than going from their hotel rooms to the ballpark and back again. We know college football players won't be doing this. They are young men, in their teens and early 20's, who not only are not in a bubble or sequestered in a hotel, but they are spending all of their time with other 18-22 year olds who have no reason and very little motivation to keep their asses at home.

Think what you will about football happening without other students on campus, but that would be the only way this will work. You are essentially asking for all of the students, at every major college campus, to wear masks and maintain social distancing, and even with all of this, that only minimizes the chance of spreading coronavirus, it doesn't eliminate it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 01, 2020, 09:40:49 PM »
I would also recommend sight I seen Kevin Keitzman’s upcoming new podcast

could not have said it better myself

:ROFL: it was such a good post by rusty too, completely undone by two letters and a wayward space.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 01, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
What Kashi is saying is "let them get it, they won't go to the hospital" which is honestly a better plan than the delay and pray plan that everyone seems to be embracing