Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94458 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2020, 08:42:03 AM »
One of our incoming freshman basketball players is going to get booted if KSU goes online only.  Probably our best one so we have that going for us.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 11, 2020, 09:11:25 AM »
The crisis this week was looking up every foreign registered student and making sure they had enrolled in at least 1 on campus course so our big dumb president didn’t try to deport them. Foreign students pay a gigantic portion of tuition since they are the only ones that really pay “full” price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's most unnecessary stick poking of the eye ever. A good chunk of those foreign students (esp players and grad students, which most these foreign students are anyways) are always in the US anyways during school, so the "I am trying to prevent more cases from coming into the US" argument one could make also makes little sense anyways.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 11, 2020, 09:14:01 AM »
It’s cruelty for the sake of cruelty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 11, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
100%, and reading some of the comments people have about gleefully deporting students makes me hate so many people in this country. Truly showing it's never been about the legality of immigration, it's always been about racism
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 11, 2020, 01:18:43 PM »
:lol: BYU won’t have a season after everyone goes conference only

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2020/07/10/byu-loses-three-more/

If we go conference only it makes sense to bring them in for a year to get to 10 games.
Not gonna lie, I would get a lot of petty satisfaction to see ND with no games this season.

The ACC has already said they would account for Notre Dame. Honestly, if I were a conference commissioner I'd lobby for them to get a part of their television revenue, God knows all of the conferences need it. If I'm Notre Dame I'm joining the AAC for a season. They will require the smallest portion of the ND tv revenue and that conference gives you the best shot at the CFP.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 13, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
Are there already practices in place in which universities would pay for all medical bills if an athlete got COVID-19?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 13, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
Are there already practices in place in which universities would pay for all medical bills if an athlete got COVID-19?

yeah, student athletes get medical insurance.  at least scholarship athletes do.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 13, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
I don't think it's going to happen. I think if the football players are the only ones on campus, it's going to lead to too much PR pressure.

I also think it's inevitable that most programs will have positive cases and that it'll lead to chaos.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:30:10 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 13, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/time-to-face-reality-no-one-is-playing-college-football-in-the-fall-170634809.html

Take a deep breath, and begin to get comfortable with the idea there’s virtually no chance of playing college football in any recognizable form this fall. Start digesting the notion that the next time we see a college football game could be in more than 13 months, as the sport remains the most unlikely of all the major sports to execute a successful return. Consider any semblance of college football prior to Week Zero of 2021 as a bonus, an improbable gift from the football gods.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 13, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/time-to-face-reality-no-one-is-playing-college-football-in-the-fall-170634809.html

Take a deep breath, and begin to get comfortable with the idea there’s virtually no chance of playing college football in any recognizable form this fall. Start digesting the notion that the next time we see a college football game could be in more than 13 months, as the sport remains the most unlikely of all the major sports to execute a successful return. Consider any semblance of college football prior to Week Zero of 2021 as a bonus, an improbable gift from the football gods.
question: why do all the sports teams and organizations know there will be positive tests, admit it, and prepare for them with protocols, only to respond to them by shutting down? i understand the general public may hold the most weight here and they might not want even 1 positive in a college athlete but what about the athletics leadership and sports writers? they too respond to the positives like each one is a death instead of what they have planned for all along. did they plan for them but really just hope they would never happen?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »

question: why do all the sports teams and organizations know there will be positive tests, admit it, and prepare for them with protocols, only to respond to them by shutting down? i understand the general public may hold the most weight here and they might not want even 1 positive in a college athlete but what about the athletics leadership and sports writers? they too respond to the positives like each one is a death instead of what they have planned for all along. did they plan for them but really just hope they would never happen?

It's because 1 positive case quickly turns into 20 positive cases and then they figure out their plan was worthless.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 13, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
And they have to act like they are trying not to allow anyone at all to get it, lest they get their balls and asses and taints sued off (or at least attempted to be sued off).  Also, they will look bad in front of other academics, and peer pressure is very powerful in that culture.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 13, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
I’ve been in that mindset for a while now. I can be content with some form of an NFL season. Any type of a college season would be like a second Christmas for me.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 13, 2020, 04:52:30 PM »
Yeah, Patrick Mahomes is our salvation at this point.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 13, 2020, 05:34:19 PM »
And they have to act like they are trying not to allow anyone at all to get it, lest they get their balls and asses and taints sued off (or at least attempted to be sued off).  Also, they will look bad in front of other academics, and peer pressure is very powerful in that culture.
i haven't thought this thru so pardon if its idiotic but do we know if college athletes have been asked to sign medical waivers to participate?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 13, 2020, 06:09:46 PM »
Pete Thamel  :blank:

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 13, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
Does anyone have a good reason for college sport to be contested prior to a vaccine?
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 13, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »
Does anyone have a good reason for college sport to be contested prior to a vaccine?
did you read the statement sent out from ISU AD to their alumni? it explains why.  as most others in positions of leadership they are trying to balance safety with avoiding economic disaster causing long term elimination of resources for student athletes

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 13, 2020, 07:33:01 PM »
did you read the statement sent out from ISU AD to their alumni? it explains why.  as most others in positions of leadership they are trying to balance safety with avoiding economic disaster causing long term elimination of resources for student athletes

No I didn't read, but universities are for education, athletics are secondary and maybe this will put things back in their proper order.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 13, 2020, 08:50:55 PM »

yeah, student athletes get medical insurance.  at least scholarship athletes do.

Does that include future medical bills due to the long lasting effects?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 13, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »
i think you have to sue to realize those benefits.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2020, 10:08:52 PM »

No I didn't read, but universities are for education, athletics are secondary and maybe this will put things back in their proper order.
athletics going out of business would be bad for the educational mission of the university

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »

Does that include future medical bills due to the long lasting effects?
not sure. long lasting effects? i assume you are talking about the fairly rare instances where people's symptoms are still lingering after many weeks? it would be hard to predict that athletes will have any long last effect based on current knowledge. but we probably couldn't completely rule it out either

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2020, 11:48:22 PM »
They are talking about long term issues such as reduced lung capacity.  I haven't looked it up, but what I have heard and seen were problems with eyes, lungs and various but not confirmed issues.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 14, 2020, 01:03:15 AM »
I think those theories are mostly rooted in SARS, which is related to COVID. Obviously too early to know much about COVID itself, but also obviously makes sense to assume it’s as bad if not worse.