Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 95050 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #425 on: July 14, 2020, 11:25:22 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/time-to-face-reality-no-one-is-playing-college-football-in-the-fall-170634809.html

Take a deep breath, and begin to get comfortable with the idea there’s virtually no chance of playing college football in any recognizable form this fall. Start digesting the notion that the next time we see a college football game could be in more than 13 months, as the sport remains the most unlikely of all the major sports to execute a successful return. Consider any semblance of college football prior to Week Zero of 2021 as a bonus, an improbable gift from the football gods.
question: why do all the sports teams and organizations know there will be positive tests, admit it, and prepare for them with protocols, only to respond to them by shutting down? i understand the general public may hold the most weight here and they might not want even 1 positive in a college athlete but what about the athletics leadership and sports writers? they too respond to the positives like each one is a death instead of what they have planned for all along. did they plan for them but really just hope they would never happen?

The pro sports leagues are doing this, essentially what everyone's job is doing, but college kids aren't professionals universities can't take the same tact with amateurs.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2020, 12:05:22 PM »
What will be the most significant implications of the 2021 season essentially having 2 recruiting classes with zero game experience?  At some schools, that will probably mean guys transferring, because it's hard honor that many bullshit recruiting promises about early playing time.   

Could it actually end up helping "developmental" programs like ours?  A whole bunch of 5th and 6th year seniors, and more competition among the younger guys?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2020, 04:36:05 PM »
What will be the most significant implications of the 2021 season essentially having 2 recruiting classes with zero game experience?  At some schools, that will probably mean guys transferring, because it's hard honor that many bullshit recruiting promises about early playing time.   

Could it actually end up helping "developmental" programs like ours?  A whole bunch of 5th and 6th year seniors, and more competition among the younger guys?
it won't stop coaches from selling their BS. in the last 2 years nebraska has added more new players to their program than any program in america.
essentially they have 2 full classes made up of freshmen only. that hasn't stopped them from getting commits from top recruits who will end up sitting a long time because the roster is the youngest in the country. kids just can't NOT believe coaches BS

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 16, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »

it won't stop coaches from selling their BS. in the last 2 years nebraska has added more new players to their program than any program in america.
essentially they have 2 full classes made up of freshmen only. that hasn't stopped them from getting commits from top recruits who will end up sitting a long time because the roster is the youngest in the country. kids just can't NOT believe coaches BS
It all depends on the talent they bring in.  Some top coaches will play the most talented, so the recruits think they will play over the more experienced, but less talented.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
is this the first P5 school to go 100% online?

https://twitter.com/UCBerkeley/status/1285654163884474368

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 25, 2020, 05:32:27 PM »
North Carolina coaches will utilize face shields and use sticks to ensure their social distancing from players in practices.
Enhanced workouts -- covering walk throughs and the like -- are the next step of CFB's attempted season boot-up before the start of preseason camps in earnest. UNC had to shut down mandatory workouts earlier this month due to COVID-19 positives, but has since reopened the weight room. While face shields and social distancing sticks might seem a bit unorthodox for a football practice, keep in mind that UNC HC Mack Brown is 68 years old. He's far from along in falling into the older demographic among coaches.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29510168/mack-brown-unc-coaches-wear-face-shields-use-sticks-social-distance

Mack Brown has a stick and if you get within social distance of him he pokes you with it.

:lol:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 25, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
When is the official announcement?

4/15/20

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 25, 2020, 06:58:46 PM »
When is the official announcement?

I think they are going to play.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 25, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
:excited:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 25, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
The Michigan State, Rutgers, and UNC outbreaks are from teams just reporting. The teams that reported a month ago doesn't seem to have outbreaks. With all of these pro sports going and all of the news that's looking like they are making plans to proceed, like ND joining the ACC, I just don't think these FBS conferences will find enough reason not to play. The coaches know the players want to play and that message is getting to the ADs who are passing it to the administrators. The talking point that not playing is safer for the players isn't an overwhelming one for players, coaches, and ADs. If we're being honest playing isn't less safe than what these 20 year olds would be doing otherwise. There's a reason why so many of these guys are arriving to campus with the rona, but the levels of those infested that have been.on campus for an extended period of time is much lower.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 25, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »

The Michigan State, Rutgers, and UNC outbreaks are from teams just reporting. The teams that reported a month ago doesn't seem to have outbreaks. With all of these pro sports going and all of the news that's looking like they are making plans to proceed, like ND joining the ACC, I just don't think these FBS conferences will find enough reason not to play. The coaches know the players want to play and that message is getting to the ADs who are passing it to the administrators. The talking point that not playing is safer for the players isn't an overwhelming one for players, coaches, and ADs. If we're being honest playing isn't less safe than what these 20 year olds would be doing otherwise. There's a reason why so many of these guys are arriving to campus with the rona, but the levels of those infested that have been.on campus for an extended period of time is much lower.

The reasons they won't play is because students won't be on campus

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 25, 2020, 07:36:56 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 25, 2020, 07:51:16 PM »

The reasons they won't play is because students won't be on campus

I don't think that will matter. And like I said previously in this thread, I bet they use the campuses as bubbles. Athletic departments have operated independently from the academic part of the universities anyway.

Just today, Oklahoma announced they are playing their first game a week earlier.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 25, 2020, 11:25:50 PM »
I think students on campus matter.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 26, 2020, 04:12:58 AM »

Yeah, I do too, I'm not sure the decision makers care what we think.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »
So, what happens if it’s all over the place? The big 10 isn’t playing non-league games... Cal-Berkeley has gone all virtual for the first semester and certainly other California schools will, too... Ivy League has postponed until Spring...

So some teams will play a full schedule and others like Ohio State will, what, end their season after a total of nine games, yet still argue to be let into the CFP because it’s not their fault they couldn’t play those other three? That seems weird. Will there be Dr. Peppers for some conferences but not others? Where will they be played?

They just need to make a clean break and cancel the season. This is bound to be both a mess and a danger.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:06:16 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #444 on: July 26, 2020, 10:10:39 AM »
So, what happens if it’s all over the place? The big 10 isn’t playing non-league games... Cal-Berkeley has gone all virtual for the first semester and certainly other California schools will, too... Ivy League has postponed until Spring...

So some teams will play a full schedule and others like Ohio State will, what, end their season after a total of nine games, yet still argue to be let into the CFP because it’s not their fault they couldn’t play those other three? That seems weird. Will there be Dr. Peppers for some conferences but not others? Where will they be played?

They just need to make a clean break and cancel the season. This is bound to be both a mess and a danger.
I understand your sentiment, but I don’t think all of the weirdness and unbalanced parts should matter to the decision of whether to  play or not.  Ultimately, why should Kansas State care whether the PAC-12 has a normally crowned champion, or if the 4 teams in the CFP are as fairly selected as usual?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:31:43 AM by 8manpick »
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 26, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »
If we were going to cancel the season because the CFP/conferences have weird scheduling and competitive discrepancies that lead to unfair results, we might as well just retroactively cancel college football too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 26, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »

I think they are concerned with maintaining the illusion of amateurism. Gonna be tough to keep that up if they play football while all the other students are at home. (Although everyone else at home definitely makes containing the spread easier).

It's just a pickle.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 26, 2020, 11:29:02 AM »
If we were going to cancel the season because the CFP/conferences have weird scheduling and competitive discrepancies that lead to unfair results, we might as well just retroactively cancel college football too.

Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 26, 2020, 12:43:31 PM »

I think they are concerned with maintaining the illusion of amateurism. Gonna be tough to keep that up if they play football while all the other students are at home. (Although everyone else at home definitely makes containing the spread easier).

It's just a pickle.

They don't care about maintaining the illusion of amateurism, especially if they fear doing so will decimate these athletic departments. Internally it's pretty easy to justify playing if students aren't on campus. The players want to play and not doing so will cost hundreds of jobs and thousands of athletic scholarships.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 26, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
i started out "pretty sure they're going to play" then "i don't know," then about a month ago i was almost certain they wouldn't play.  now i'm cautiously optimistic they're going to play.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]