Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 93321 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
No 2020 College Football :-(
« on: April 15, 2020, 08:56:01 PM »
NM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:59:59 PM »
wut

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:10:48 PM »
Pretty sure this is old news
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »
Spring at the worst. Not now, SD.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
wut
From your perspective this is actually good news. The 10 year rolling 100 loss streak is looking out of reach now.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:19:42 PM »
wut
From your perspective this is actually good news. The 10 year rolling 100 loss streak is looking out of reach now.

Lol. True, but I'm long past caring. Can I get a link, though? The only thing I've seen is the commissioners saying no students on campus = no NCAA sports.

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 09:20:32 PM »
wut

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 09:23:44 PM »
NCAA AD’s said today and flexed back at Pence that nobody will field a team (football) unless students are back on campus during that time. Unless SD heard something different, I call BS, as much as every Universities revenue is based off college football. We’re talking the Athletic Department, professors, donors, etc. All gone or decreased salaries, etc. If this happens. All the colleges said today is students need to be present on campus for games to happen and I call BS, because pro sports will be back soon, and they’ll find a way to make it happen and play in empty stadiums while trying to find a way to quarantine their student athletes to make it happen.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
NCAA AD’s said today and flexed back at Pence that nobody will field a team (football) unless students are back on campus during that time. Unless SD heard something different, I call BS, as much as every Universities revenue is based off college football. We’re talking the Athletic Department, professors, donors, etc. All gone or decreased salaries, etc. If this happens. All the colleges said today is students need to be present on campus for games to happen and I call BS, because pro sports will be back soon, and they’ll find a way to make it happen and play in empty stadiums while trying to find a way to quarantine their student athletes to make it happen.

I think we are pretty dangerously close to college campuses announcing they are going to be closed for the summer. Most have already announced that they are online only, but if that happens then you have a 6-8 week lag time and you start making the fall season pretty tough to pull off and then you are up against winter and what do we think about that? So tough.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »
I totally agree, but I think they’ll try and make exceptions for sports like college football. Like, Do covid tests before they go on campus, see if they’re good and then Quarantine them in dorm rooms or something. Maybe I’m just wishful thinking (definitely am after I read this), but their TV revenues are worth it to try and make it happen. Maybe I’m just listening to too much Soren, but a lot of livelihoods depend on that revenue at the University for them to try and not make it work. I could see normal students online and student athletes on the campus after testing and living a dorm life to make it happen in August. :dunno: :dunno:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:46:08 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »
Also, IF they make this happen, this would be the best time to FLEX “pay for play“ as a student athlete. My word!

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 09:58:50 PM »
I was told by a University of Central Missouri employee that they are preparing for fall enrollment increase due to all the potential students wanting to get out of their parents' basement.  They are in "fix it/build it" mode right now until then.

But yea I'm hearing all local Universities are counting on keeping campus closed throughout the Summer.  Many Universities are charging similar fees for classes as if they were in person as well. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »
I was told by a University of Central Missouri employee that they are preparing for fall enrollment increase due to all the potential students wanting to get out of their parents' basement.  They are in "fix it/build it" mode right now until then.

But yea I'm hearing all local Universities are counting on keeping campus closed throughout the Summer.  Many Universities are charging similar fees for classes as if they were in person as well.

That seems very optimistic.  I am guessing there are a lot of students that don't even apply, and a lot of current students that don't show back up.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 10:29:08 PM »
I totally agree, but I think they’ll try and make exceptions for sports like college football. Like, Do covid tests before they go on campus, see if they’re good and then Quarantine them in dorm rooms or something. Maybe I’m just wishful thinking (definitely am after I read this), but their TV revenues are worth it to try and make it happen. Maybe I’m just listening to too much Soren, but a lot of livelihoods depend on that revenue at the University for them to try and not make it work. I could see normal students online and student athletes on the campus after testing and living a dorm life to make it happen in August. :dunno: :dunno:

This is why there is zero chance college football happens unless all students are back on campus. Kind of hard to drive the whole "student athlete" and "amateur" shtick if college is deemed too dangerous for the general student body yet the football team has to show up and fulfill contractual TV obligations to make money for schools.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 10:30:57 PM »
I'm feeling VERY good about my decision to drop cable last month.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:39 PM »
The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach relays that many of the college athletic directors and commissioners whom she has spoken with are looking toward the end of May to make a decision on the 2020 CFB season.

A May decision makes sense given that schools will past the spring semester at that point and looking to lock in plans -- if possible -- for the fall semester. Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick noted that in order for the college football season to be played as scheduled, it would require (for obvious reasons) all campuses to be open, rather than just select ones. Which could be an issue given that the coronavirus is not impacting every state in the country in a static, blanket fashion. There are some states which smartly issued stay-at-home orders and the like very early, but others (such as football hotbed states like Florida, South Carolina and Georgia) which dragged their heels. The spread of the virus is not uniform, which makes a uniform decision on college football a complicated one. Hopefully we'll have more information in another month or so.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 10:40:02 PM »
some D2 coaches have been told to start to consider finding alternative employment options for the fall

seriously

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 10:56:53 PM »

This is why there is zero chance college football happens unless all students are back on campus. Kind of hard to drive the whole "student athlete" and "amateur" shtick if college is deemed too dangerous for the general student body yet the football team has to show up and fulfill contractual TV obligations to make money for schools.
I think this is what the drawing line is now for these universities. Thought I brought it up earlier? Are they willing to pay bloated professor salaries for online teaching or just cut their losses in whole? Like I said, good time to promote “pay for play” if the universities mainly exist off cfb/cbb revenue.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 11:02:38 PM »

I think this is what the drawing line is now for these universities. Thought I brought it up earlier? Are they willing to pay bloated professor salaries for online teaching or just cut their losses in whole? Like I said, good time to promote “pay for play” if the universities mainly exist off cfb/cbb revenue.

a couple things--

1) universities don't get a bunch of direct revenue from college football. they benefit a lot indirectly, but it isn't like not having football is the thing that is going to drastically hurt the university "professors" budget. the athletic budget, which is completely separate from university funds will be hurt a lot if they don't have a season.

2) the university budget will probably get crushed if there is no college football season, because campus is very limited or outright closed and "online only" or something and it will be the expected effect on enrollment, lack of commerce on campus, no housing and dining income etc. that kill the budget

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »
good, i say

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
:lol:

In the event that the season cannot be played as scheduled, various ticket and donation resolutions will be offered.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »
I'm more concerned with figuring out what the plan is for my incoming freshman son.  Will fall classes be online, delayed, etc?  I have a feeling trying to coordinate housing is going to be a gigantic cluster.  Plan on spending some time this weekend going through K-State email correspondence to try and get a handle on things.
@mikec2w

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 09:24:18 AM »
I'm more concerned with figuring out what the plan is for my incoming freshman son.  Will fall classes be online, delayed, etc?  I have a feeling trying to coordinate housing is going to be a gigantic cluster.  Plan on spending some time this weekend going through K-State email correspondence to try and get a handle on things.
I can’t speak for KSU but I will tell you that other universities are already planning for a potential online only fall semester. It’s wait and see but if students do come to campus it will be with significant restrictions around a lot of things. Most have made that call already for summer. Also expecting significant enrollment decreases overall. A lot of that driven by foreign enrollment but also some domestic decrease.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 10:19:07 AM »
I can’t speak for KSU but I will tell you that other universities are already planning for a potential online only fall semester. It’s wait and see but if students do come to campus it will be with significant restrictions around a lot of things. Most have made that call already for summer. Also expecting significant enrollment decreases overall. A lot of that driven by foreign enrollment but also some domestic decrease.

On the bright side, he may be able to complete is first semester online without the additional cost of housing.
@mikec2w

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 10:30:54 AM »
Have him take a year off and go to college when he can have the full experience.  Maybe knock off some basic courses at a juco or online during the year to make the schedule more pak-friendly when goes off for real.