Author Topic: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?  (Read 55632 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 08:59:12 AM »
I'm going to be v pissed if they end up passing out antibody passes for those who recovered and can now do stuff and I didn't get it due to being a good boy and staying in isolation.

Da fuq is an antibody pass

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/health/immunity-passport-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2020, 10:57:46 AM »
pretty selfish take there, justwin sheesh

The comment was only in response to the absurdity of comparing being infected with the coronavirus to playing roulette.

Imagine the government does hand out antibody passes to those that have antibodies to SARS-CoV-2.  What do you think will happen in terms of compliance to stay at home orders the next time some sort of pandemic rolls around?  Do you think that people are just going to be willing to stay at home and risk their financial stability for something that has an extremely small chance of actually affecting them?  At least, that was my interpretation of Phil's comment.
I would think most of those people would be either selfish enough to not want to substantially increase their odds of death or selfless enough to not want to increase the odds of others dying.

Also the odds of this type of pandemic happening again in our lifetimes seems pretty slim.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »
If I had a 5% chance of getting sick enough to go to the hospital by continuing my regular routine over the next year, I'd definitely change my behavior. I wouldn't stay in completely, but I'd go to restaurants less, probably stop going to live sporting events and be really selective about which concerts I go to.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »
Like, going to the hospital really sucks to begin with but it's also really expensive even with insurance

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
What percent chance does a low risk person have to go to the hospital due to accident in everyday life? .1%

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »
for my age, sex and health, my understanding is that i'd have about a 1/300 chance of dying if i were to become infected.  not the worst odds in the world, but yeah, i'd moderate my behavior without any government intervention to improve my chances of surviving the next couple of years.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »
My cousin in Spain had it when their outbreak started.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2020, 09:11:25 AM »
I get mad at people who win tens of thousands of dollars betting on roulette, but I don’t wish I made the same decisions they did.

Except roulette doesn't have odds that favor you.  99.9% chance I don't die if I am infected.  95% chance I don't get hospitalized if I am infected.  If it was the difference between me being able to work and go places or not, I'd take those odds all day, every day.

A 5% chance of each person going to the hospital puts the odds overwhelmingly in favor of you or someone (probably multiple people) you care about being admitted to an overcrowded hospital that can't admit visitors.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »
So wait, under this hypothetical, everything is staying open? And there's a 5% chance if I'm infected that I have to be hospitalized, and less than a 1% chance that I die? And I assume all of these odds are further reduced by only a certain percentage chance that I get infected in the first place? Yeah, I'd take those odds all day every day and enjoy some hella bargains and lower crowds.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2020, 01:39:48 PM »
Only 3.3 million would die in that situation and 16.5 million would be hospitalized. Not bad! Let's do it KSUW!!

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:05 PM »
So wait, under this hypothetical, everything is staying open? And there's a 5% chance if I'm infected that I have to be hospitalized, and less than a 1% chance that I die? And I assume all of these odds are further reduced by only a certain percentage chance that I get infected in the first place? Yeah, I'd take those odds all day every day and enjoy some hella bargains and lower crowds.

Don't you have like 6 kids or something? That would put the odds at around 30% you have someone in your immediate family in the hospital while you get to quarantine yourself for a few weeks.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »
Think one of my buds and coworkers from KSU just died from it. Somewhere in his 30s.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »
Think one of my buds and coworkers from KSU just died from it. Somewhere in his 30s.

I hope he didn't, but what makes you not sure?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
No positive test that I know of. He just shared on FB he had all the symptoms and was self quarantined and monitoring at home. I assume he ended up in the hospital but no other updates until posts from family and friends. Also he was relatively healthy. Wasn’t struggling with cancer or a chronic condition so I’m not sure what else could even do that in a matter of weeks.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2020, 10:37:27 AM »
Man, Ts and Ps to the family of that young EMAW.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »
Damn :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2020, 09:39:06 AM »
A former coworker I was facebook friends with died from it. He was in New Jersey and in mid-late March was posting about going to JFK airport which kinda made me worry. I'm fine, we weren't close, but it was the first person I actually knew who died from it.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2020, 11:21:12 AM »
Friend of a friend died last week. Healthy 30 year old woman. Had very mild asthma.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2020, 12:17:55 AM »
husband of one of my wife's cousins died today.  mid 50s or so, i believe.  leaves behind a young daughter.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, sys.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
thanks, stevesie.  we weren't close, in fact, i'd never met him in person.  my wife is medium close to her cousin, though.  and is godmother to the girl.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2020, 07:30:40 PM »
thanks, stevesie.  we weren't close, in fact, i'd never met him in person.  my wife is medium close to her cousin, though.  and is godmother to the girl.
Mexico? Sorry still.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2020, 07:38:02 PM »
yeah.  acapulco.  apparently, it is pretty bad there.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2020, 04:32:55 PM »
just an anecdote, my cousin in law's death was not officially classified as a covid 19 death, despite that he died of respiratory failure after testing positive for cov2.  it will be interesting to see the excess death data for mexico when it becomes available.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
My brother in law’s father passed away in Louisiana from covid complications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk