Poll

Have you been furloughed or lost massive revenue during this pandemic?

Yes
2 (3.9%)
No
44 (86.3%)
Kinda
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Have you been furloughed or loss massive revenue during this pandemic?  (Read 17983 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Have you been furloughed or lost massive revenue during this pandemic?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
Thanks, guys. OB, I’ve significantly decreased my time on this blog the last few years. I was leading my company in Doctors hired in the new year so far and that’s literally what I would get up for everyday, the competition of making the company money. Yes, I’ve tried to act like a boss and act big time on here to be “one of the guys” at times. Because from the sounds of it, everyone is pretty successful on here. I was just finally proud of finding something I was great at. I’m sorry if you took #fanningbragging as serious. I didn’t see the ocean until I was 19 and I had never been to another country minus Mexico/Canada until my 30’s. I’m very thankful for every amazing experience I get these days.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »
Thanks, guys. OB, I’ve significantly decreased my time on this blog the last few years. I was leading my company in Doctors hired in the new year so far and that’s literally what I would get up for everyday, the competition of making the company money. Yes, I’ve tried to act like a boss and act big time on here to be “one of the guys” at times. Because from the sounds of it, everyone is pretty successful on here. I was just finally proud of finding something I was great at. I’m sorry if you took #fanningbragging as serious. I didn’t see the ocean until I was 19 and I had never been to another country minus Mexico/Canada until my 30’s. I’m very thankful for every amazing experience I get these days.

I've still never been to Canada. Thanks for rubbing it in, bad person.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »
The only "but the economy" people that deserve to be ridiculed are the ones showing callous disregard for the health and safety of others and those who are still employed but just unhappy that now their precious little 401ks took a hit or that their ski trips were canceled.

I'm a scientist at a biotech start-up. I don't think anyone at my company is in danger of being laid off because of the pandemic, but we float on VC money, and VCs are freaking out right now bc their warchests ARE directly tied to market performance.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »
Fair enough. I understand this sucks. I was laid off in 2008 when the economy crap the bed. I went back to school, got a new degree, and started over. It sucks, but it will turn around again some day. For the record, I voted "kinda" as a bunch in my office got laid off and I took a 10% pay cut. You're a grinder and personable. You'll be ok. And like somebody said, your son won't care. They just want love and attention for quite a few years. It isn't until later that they start caring about "stuff". I feel bad for everybody that lost their job, I honestly do. It's a gut punch and confidence shaker like nothing I've ever experienced before. I also know that I very well may be right back there in it in the next few weeks/months. But it will get better again.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »
I appreciate it, bud. Hoping for the best for you all.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 03:10:34 PM »
Wacky listen to Tupac and keep your head up. The whole world is going through the worst crap in our lifetimes right now. We will come out the other side. File you unemployment and get the financial support the government is putting out there. We were good brother!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »
I'm sure we'll have rolling furloughs across our management team. We are deemed essential but our business will take a dive until mid-May. Once the heat kicks up a bit, we'll hopefully be back to full steam. :pray:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »

Thanks, guys. I’ve been holding this crap in the last 3 weeks. It’s tough. I appreciate the kindness.

As a resident lawyer, I can tell you that I am very concerned about my job. We are very tied into the broader economy. When businesses are hurting, they don't want to take on new engagements or pay existing bills. I am very replaceable.

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time. You're not alone. Nearly everyone is feeling anxiety right now, so feel free to vent.

Yeah I think everyone that isn't an ICU nurse or a grocery store clerk or UPS driver is worried about their jobs or at least a significant income hit.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 03:31:29 PM »
Getting paid by other people’s tax dollars sounds like the American dream.

So now you're putting down billionaires.  :confused:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »

Thanks, guys. I’ve been holding this crap in the last 3 weeks. It’s tough. I appreciate the kindness.

As a resident lawyer, I can tell you that I am very concerned about my job. We are very tied into the broader economy. When businesses are hurting, they don't want to take on new engagements or pay existing bills. I am very replaceable.

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time. You're not alone. Nearly everyone is feeling anxiety right now, so feel free to vent.

Yeah I think everyone that isn't an ICU nurse or a grocery store clerk or UPS driver is worried about their jobs or at least a significant income hit.

Honestly, if my employer sent out an e-mail on Monday announcing a temporary 30% pay cut (or whatever), I'd be relieved.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 03:50:38 PM »
The only "but the economy" people that deserve to be ridiculed are the ones showing callous disregard for the health and safety of others and those who are still employed but just unhappy that now their precious little 401ks took a hit or that their ski trips were canceled.

I'm a scientist at a biotech start-up. I don't think anyone at my company is in danger of being laid off because of the pandemic, but we float on VC money, and VCs are freaking out right now bc their warchests ARE directly tied to market performance.

:clap:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2020, 03:52:04 PM »

I've still never been to Canada. Thanks for rubbing it in, bad person.

Hey I'll dbl, maybe triple that cause I'll only been in America.  OK, I'll admit I'll been to MO.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2020, 04:02:38 PM »
I selected kinda.  My primary job is not in any immediate danger and it's not under a lot of threat for next year as well.  My job is year-to-year, though.  There is a decent chance that if the economy is doing poorly (especially if unemployment is up), then my job is actually more secure.  I'm not hoping for a down economy, though.

Two other sources of income I have, though, have been eliminated or are highly uncertain.  I'm losing a few thousand dollars on one of them.  For another source of income, I have to commit to spending $15,000 now for something at the end of June.  If I'm not willing to commit $15,000 now, I likely will lose out on the opportunity to earn $10,000 - $15,000 (this is net of the $15,000 commitment now).

I remember talking to a guy at a neighborhood get together around New Year's.  He was laid off from his job about 5 years ago.  He said at the time he felt like the world was crashing down around him.  However, in hindsight, it was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I'm not sure how religious you are, but there's a plan at work.  It's not always easy to see the goal, but one is there.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »
My company has lost some revenue but from what our leadership is saying we should be ok. We are also deemed essential which helps. I’ve said it in other threads tho too that I feel awful for anyone that has lost a job or is struggling. I feel very lucky to be in an essential role when so many people aren’t.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
Telecom is essential.  Get to work from home, nothing has changed.  Still expected to hit forecast and quota.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
Mandatory telework through at least May 15, after that TBD. No austerity measures, so far.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
Telecom is essential.  Get to work from home, nothing has changed.  Still expected to hit forecast and quota.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »
Is it plugged in?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »
I think your job will come back pretty quick wack.  People need dental care and I'd expect the owners of practices looking to fill spots quickly.

I didn't take the poll because I think it's kind of crass.  My biz is fine now and actually catching up on a huge backlog of more "paper" work that had a large number of us buried and hiring associates like crazy.  We stopped hiring but didn't lay off a single employee even though there are some we probably would have parted ways with due to performance issues.  we have kept 120 folks in 3 states.

Hopefully when the lights are turned back on we will be even better equipped to serve our clients due to clearing backlog.

I hope the best for all of us and the absolute most accurate thing said ITT is your baby dgaf about what you are doing right now and probably is bonding a bit more than would have had chance to.  Small blessings

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
Thanks, friend. They told me yesterday they’re taking care of my health insurance for May, so that’s great news. I’m kind of planning for the end of May to get back, but a big part of my territory is New York and New Jersey, so we shall see. Take care out there.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2020, 08:09:12 PM »
I’m working from home but I sell software into companies and most are in a holding pattern. Over half my salary is commission but my wife is in the mortgage business and she has been covering for what I’m losing in bonuses and OT. We feel pretty lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »
I am starting to get pretty concerned about Kansas State.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
My company laid off 1/3 of staff last week. Lots of people I worked closely with and it really sucks. Revenue seemed to be pretty decent, there's just uncertainty and I think it was a convenient excuse to trim some fat.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
My company got the Payroll protection loan, so our temporary 15% pay cuts were postponed for a month or two. The Architectural Billings Index was down like 40% in March and expected to be worse in April, so we’ll likely see pretty tough times by end of summer in the AEC market
:adios:

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2020, 04:06:50 PM »
I am starting to get pretty concerned about Kansas State.

Being pretty concerned about Kansas State would not be an overreaction to say the least.