Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1070359 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
The U.S. will need to administer 20 million tests for the novel coronavirus each day by mid-summer in order to fully remobilize the economy in a safe fashion, according to new report from a Harvard panel of more than 45 experts in health, science and economics.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/493722-us-needs-to-conduct-20-million-coronavirus-tests-per-day-to-fully-open
Might as well be 20 trillion per day
I've been saying this for weeks!  20 trillion would be almost one per person per second though, I'm not sure that would be necessary.
Can’t be too careful.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
this is kind of a fun tool to play around with.  cool to see how sensitive it is to variables other than the headline variables (also very sensitive to those, of course).

https://gabgoh.github.io/COVID/index.html
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The U.S. will need to administer 20 million tests for the novel coronavirus each day by mid-summer in order to fully remobilize the economy in a safe fashion, according to new report from a Harvard panel of more than 45 experts in health, science and economics.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/493722-us-needs-to-conduct-20-million-coronavirus-tests-per-day-to-fully-open
I've been saying this for weeks!  20 trillion would be almost one per person per second though, I'm not sure that would be necessary.
Can’t be too careful.
Is it too much to ask that I be tested at least every day or even better after each social interaction w/in 6'?  I don't think so, not when the lives of literally everyone I know are at stake.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think we need daily self testing more than anything else
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Can’t be too careful.
Is it too much to ask that I be tested at least every day or even better after each social interaction w/in 6'?  I don't think so, not when the lives of literally everyone I know are at stake.
I mean...Yeah, I think that is asking too much.  I can't even venture a guess how long it'd take for us to ramp up to ~320 million tests per day.  Right now, a good day is ~165k.  I don't think we have the resources to wait the months/years it would take to get our testing capacity to increase by 319,840,000.

I think it's inevitable that we're eventually going to have to assume some risk, like we do with every other potentially fatal contagious illness. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i haven't read the report, and it probably explains, but i don't understand why you would need more tests later than initially.  unless you were planning on opening up early and letting the virus increase in incidence again.  it would seem like, unless you eff crap up, the maximum need would be initially.

that said, if we need to run 20 million tests a day, then we'll  run 20 million a day.  this crap that something like that is impossible is ridiculous.  we run all sorts of complicated things at scale.  if you can run 100k a day you can run 20 m a day, it's just a question of scaling up.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
I don't think that Harvard Ethics plan had an MD on the list of authors. And it only has a single line referring to hospital capacity. I'd put a lot more credence in the AEI plan.

https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
i haven't read the report, and it probably explains, but i don't understand why you would need more tests later than initially.  unless you were planning on opening up early and letting the virus increase in incidence again.  it would seem like, unless you eff crap up, the maximum need would be initially.

that said, if we need to run 20 million tests a day, then we'll  run 20 million a day.  this crap that something like that is impossible is ridiculous.  we run all sorts of complicated things at scale.  if you can run 100k a day you can run 20 m a day, it's just a question of scaling up.

isn't it a foregone conclusion that opening up is going to increase cases, it's just keeping them manageable and being able to identify origin/contacts and isolate the sick vs. isolate everybody because we can't figure it out. 

As of now one study said it's estimated that only 3% of the population has built up an immunity.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
sys, what's the practical barrier currently to more tests?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
so far, working in nyc public transit in the time of covid 19 has carried a 1 in 625 chance of dying.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1252351803976347648
Do they know what it was pre COVID?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Haven't gone back and read the last 20 pages, but seems like maybe you guys are coming around a bit? Panic subsiding?

Random (mostly contrarian) thoughts and guesses in no particular order....

Seems a consensus is emerging among the antibody-test studies that infection rate is far greater than initially thought, which means a far higher level of infection (bad news) but a far lower rate of symptoms, let alone mortality (great news).

The jury is still out on the efficacy of social distancing, but I suspect we're going to learn that it was a good policy in high-density areas (despite the downside of slowing herd-immunity, "flattening the curve" at least stopped hospitals from being overrun), but the wrong perscription for low density areas (most of the country).

I suspect NYC was absolutely hammered far more than any other "hot spot" due not just to its density, but its subway system in particular.

We'll look back on the mandatory stay-at-home orders as mostly a non-sensical empty gesture that caused far more economic harm than good. When you keep the grocery stores, gas stations, hardware stores, and literally dozens of other "essential" businesses open - as you should - it makes the rest of the closures pretty meaningless from a slow-the-spread standpoint, but plenty harmful economically. Also, my God, liquore stores being deemed "essential." :lol:

Death totals will continue to be hotly debated. Too much overlap. The most reliable numbers will probably eventually come from comparing against prior averages.

The ventilator hysteria will be remembered as one of the biggest goose chases of this whole debacle.

One of the many ironies of all this is that a great many hospitals have, far from being overrun, been financially hurt by the shutdown orders. Census is way down.

Governors would have been better off allowing decisions to be made at a county-level. JOCO/WDOT is vastly different from the rest of Kansas.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

This is the camp I fall in. Unless the tests use some kind of rare material, I’m not sure why there would be a problem scaling.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
isn't it a foregone conclusion that opening up is going to increase cases, it's just keeping them manageable and being able to identify origin/contacts and isolate the sick vs. isolate everybody because we can't figure it out. 

As of now one study said it's estimated that only 3% of the population has built up an immunity.

it shouldn't be.  if people are being effectively screened and quarantined then there is no reason r can't be below 1 while society functions semi-normally.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Do they know what it was pre COVID?

i believe those were only deaths of confirmed covid-19 cases, not all mortality.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is worth a watch. Bill Maher is actually one of the more thoughtful liberals in the media, but even still, he has engaged in plenty of "Trump Shoulda" political sniping. One of the more revolting things about this whole episode is that politics never missed a beat. At least durng 9/11, the country unified for a time. This time it was finger-pointing from the start, and I suspect that's here to stay.

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1251644816611573760
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
From my understanding, test kits are finally becoming widely available, but the machines and reagents to get results are not.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
This is worth a watch. Bill Maher is actually one of the more thoughtful liberals in the media, but even still, he has engaged in plenty of "Tump Shoulda" political sniping. One of the more revolting things about this whole episode is that politics never missed a beat. At least durng 9/11, the country unified for a time. This time it was finger-pointing from the start, and I suspect that's here to stay.

If you didn't want finger pointing, you wouldn't vote for trump. Gmafb with that crap.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
This is worth a watch. Bill Maher is actually one of the more thoughtful liberals in the media, but even still, he has engaged in plenty of "Trump Shoulda" political sniping. One of the more revolting things about this whole episode is that politics never missed a beat. At least durng 9/11, the country unified for a time. This time it was finger-pointing from the start, and I suspect that's here to stay.

Literally every press conference when trump gets asked a question he points a finger at anybody but himself.  His list keeps growing every day.  Tone at the top matters.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sys, what's the practical barrier currently to more tests?

i believe that some combination of lack of testing materials, lack of medical personnel to administer tests, lack of standardization among tests, lack of coordination (exclusive contracts, geographic mismatches in demand, etc) and in some cases ineffective tests are keeping us from fully utilizing the capacity of testing labs.

but my guess would be that as we expand to huge numbers, those would be more solvable problems and the limiting factor would eventually be the number of labs/machines set up to run the tests.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

it shouldn't be.  if people are being effectively screened and quarantined then there is no reason r can't be below 1 while society functions semi-normally.

I hope that happens, I just have some serious doubts given our scatterbrained approach to opening.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is worth a watch. Bill Maher is actually one of the more thoughtful liberals in the media, but even still, he has engaged in plenty of "Tump Shoulda" political sniping. One of the more revolting things about this whole episode is that politics never missed a beat. At least durng 9/11, the country unified for a time. This time it was finger-pointing from the start, and I suspect that's here to stay.

If you didn't want finger pointing, you wouldn't vote for trump. Gmafb with that crap.

There is finger-pointing on both side. But please don't pretend that the liberals and media but I repeat myself have not been particularly ugly in this episode. This really is Impeachment Part III for them.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
When you begin your pandemic response by calling it a hoax perpetrated by democrats, I think you win the finger pointing contest. Sit down kdub, good grief.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Isn't one assumption that social distancing measures are kept in place long enough effectively reset to where we were in like January/Feb?

i don't think there is any consensus on what the end goal of the current lockdown is.  silver had a good tweet on that theme yesterday.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1252290480177655809

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I hope that happens, I just have some serious doubts given our scatterbrained approach to opening.

yeah, the plans to immediately or very quickly open up some states are either reckless or are political theater where they continue pretty much as things are but cease to call it a lockdown.  hard to say which.