Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1064874 times)

Skipper44 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks China (and Canada) . . . Topic: CoronaVirus!
« Reply #2925 on: April 01, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »
I thought the survival rate on a vent was lower than that, but maybe I'm thinking of something. I remember an er doctor on surly posted a bunch of medical info crap he's learned treating patients and that after a week on a vent the survival rate is nominal and basically just taking up equipment.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: April 01, 2020, 12:26:24 PM »
whoa!  this is awesome, other than it might already be too late and also probably business owners don't know about it.  hopefully they do the same for larger businesses too.

https://twitter.com/whinecough/status/1245155798713597952
Should be bigger news if it's what the guy described

I applied for this last night and am looking into the payroll protection component of it as well. Should be up and running on Friday.
@mikec2w

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: April 01, 2020, 12:40:07 PM »
Yeah. WHO the eff cares?

MAGAs who get boners over lady gaga

I don't know or hang out with any MAGAs, but from what I gather they ain't too fond of satan worshiping pop stars.  :Carl:

MAGAs hate her but talk about her non-stop 24/7.  She is like AOC

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: April 01, 2020, 12:44:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/1245317642560430081

:sdeek:

better than a trashbag (which has happened)

better or exactly the same with pre cut holes.

the pre cut holes are better!

Let's take into account that's an OGBYN, which *could* mean that better quality gear is being prioritized to doctors and nurses dealing directly with COVID-19 patients. Obviously tho, you'd like to have suitable PPE for every person who works in the hospital.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: April 01, 2020, 12:45:50 PM »
i've been looking for that data point.  it's hard to find.  i interact with a person on twitter who is convinced that all the emphasis on ventilators is misplaced because those people are all gonna die anyways, they just die slower with a ventilator.

20% is a little lower than i'd guess for the global recovery rate for intubated patients, but it does seem like if they put you on a ventilator, that's really bad news.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8404197

depends a lot on the patient but yeah that 20% number seems really low

If you have to go on a ventilator, things are grim. Given that the worst patients seem to develop ARDS as a result of the virus, that's a bad combination.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: April 01, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »
Guess that's why we don't have a lot of ventilators in the US hospital supplies if they only have a 20% success rate.  Woof.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: April 01, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »

Let's take into account that's an OGBYN, which *could* mean that better quality gear is being prioritized to doctors and nurses dealing directly with COVID-19 patients. Obviously tho, you'd like to have suitable PPE for every person who works in the hospital.

I'm just going to say what we're all thinking. Once she's up there in the stirrups the OB better squat down like a catcher with that yankees poncho on.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: April 01, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »
And if you have to go on an ECMO machine as a result of this, your lungs are probably permanently mumped and u gonna die.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: April 01, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »

There are definitely nurses treating covid patients in trash bags instead of proper gowns in the US right now

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: April 01, 2020, 01:03:38 PM »

I'm just going to say what we're all thinking. Once she's up there in the stirrups the OB better squat down like a catcher with that yankees poncho on.

Big oppy for the Mets to give back too

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: April 01, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
Where do I get odds on Trump declaring this is china's fault and therefore we don't owe them any $$?

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: April 01, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
Guess that's why we don't have a lot of ventilators in the US hospital supplies if they only have a 20% success rate.  Woof.
I think it’s fair to say COVID-19 can be quite a bit worse than other things you might need a ventilator for.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »

Saw a meme the other day with a monkey dressed up like a doctor and the text said "stay at home unless you want to be intubated by an obgyn"

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: April 01, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »
I think it’s fair to say COVID-19 can be quite a bit worse than other things you might need a ventilator for.

I'm not sure that's true. Just about anything you would need a ventilator for is very serious.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: April 01, 2020, 01:52:37 PM »
 :bball:
Where do I get odds on Trump declaring this is china's fault and therefore we don't owe them any $$?

Lemme know if you find a book taking action on that...

I'd like to build a 3T parlay with China, Gates and that Harvard professor.

:kstategrad:
bears are fast...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: April 01, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »
probably not going to stay a rich man's flu.

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1245411954048618496
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: April 01, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »
More on the beauty of the free market in a pandemic. It's encouraging that smaller organizations can pool resources to compete with larger ones, but it seems pretty clear our federal government is shitting the bed

So organizers from the group, whose member organizations include religious congregations, unions, schools, community health centers, and other civic institutions, began to investigate whether they might be able to arrange a purchase of some of the supplies themselves — and quickly found themselves in what has become the “Wild West” global market of medical supplies. Among the suppliers they identified was a Canadian distributor who claimed last week to have millions of N95 masks, but demanded a minimum purchase of 20 million.

Within hours of the distributor’s demand, the group had assembled a consortium of 19 different entities in need of the masks, including two major hospital chains, one city health department in Colorado, six county governments in three states, and one governor’s office. Though several of the buyers were also hoping to purchase gowns, gloves, ventilators, and other supplies, they were pooling resources to be able to put in the minimum order of 3M’s 1860 N95 mask, which protects health care workers against airborne particles and is “resistant to splash and spatter of blood and other infectious materials.”

Although the 1860 N95 masks should cost $1.27 each, according to a price list 3M issued yesterday, the Canadian dealer was charging more than $7 per mask. But the jacked-up price isn’t what killed the deal. Even the major hospital chains were desperate enough to spend the money. Instead, the group’s purchase began to fall apart when the dealer said that the Canadian military had seized 10 million of the masks and then insisted that the group not only commit to buying the remaining 20 million masks but also to five additional monthly purchases of 20 million masks, totaling $140 million.

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/01/coronavirus-3m-n95-masks-price-gouging/

another one
Remington received text updates from his network about ever-changing quantities of masks in Houston, New Jersey, Miami, Los Angeles and other U.S. cities, along with cities in Canada and the UK. I was astounded by the numbers of masks at these locations. At one point he received an update that 43 million masks were available in New Jersey, in the same time-frame that federal and state leaders were saying in press conferences that they were “scouring the globe” for masks. But the masks in New Jersey, along with many million more, didn’t go to any domestic buyer. Instead, according to the broker, they were all purchased by foreign buyers.

“Most of the masks are leaving the country,” he told me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2020/03/30/i-spent-a-day-in-the-coronavirus-driven-feeding-frenzy-of-n95-mask-sellers-and-buyers-and-this-is-what-i-learned/#6a95653c56d4

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: April 01, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »

I'm not sure that's true. Just about anything you would need a ventilator for is very serious.
Serious, sure. But I’d put something like ARDS a little further down the spectrum than sleep apnea.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: April 01, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »
Sys, that's something I was just thinking about earlier today as I drove past an engineering firm with an empty parking lot, and it made me think of all the factory, warehouse, and construction workers that are still going to work. Despite best practices, they are still likely exposed to numerous other people every day. The work from home privilege is certainly an interesting class divide.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: April 01, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
:bball:

Lemme know if you find a book taking action on that...

I'd like to build a 3T parlay with China, Gates and that Harvard professor.

:kstategrad:

googles "book that takes bets from total nitiwits"

No luck bud.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: April 01, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »
i've been working a little, but it's at a very low key site with only like 5 workers, so it's still pretty socially distant.  i'm really interested to see if, when i'm next scheduled at a big job site, they still do the morning safety sign in where everyone passes around the same pen and clipboard.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: April 01, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »
i'd be surprised if 10% of small business owners are aware of this.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRStrain/status/1245393953723219969