Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1065953 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks China (and Canada) . . . Topic: CoronaVirus!
« Reply #2226 on: March 23, 2020, 04:28:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1242181578891157504

this is much closer to shooting someone in the middle of Park avenue or whatever than i expected to see irl
Trump responsibility: None
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: March 23, 2020, 04:29:28 PM »
What is our predicted inflection point?

good question.  hinges on whether our partial and more voluntary lockdowns and shelter in places replicate italy's lockdown.  it looks like italy's point was about 10 days after imposing the nationwide lockdown.

Which Trump is itching to get people out of the 15 days of "try your best".

:'bye cruel world:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: March 23, 2020, 04:32:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1242181578891157504

this is much closer to shooting someone in the middle of Park avenue or whatever than i expected to see irl
I mean.  Trump didn't tell people to go self medicate with whatever amount of Chloroquine they felt was right.  There are certainly reasons to be critical of Trump's response.  Let's not confuse those valid reasons with darwin awards winners.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: March 23, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
Isn’t the right wing view of the imperial presidency that the president’s words should be considered sacred and that they provide magical freedom leadership powers throughout the world? It was certainly true when everyone said Obama made america “look weak” by going on his apology tour or when Bush labeled nations the “axis of evil.” It isn’t some unanticipated result that a bunch of Nigerians and some Americans see that the president of the United States says that there is an available cure to a pandemic that is right there for the taking and they get very sick.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: March 23, 2020, 04:43:59 PM »
Trump didn't tell people to go self medicate with whatever amount of Chloroquine they felt was right. 

He did say that the FDA should be bypassed because it's bullshit.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: March 23, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »
Isn’t the right wing view of the imperial presidency that the president’s words should be considered sacred and that they provide magical freedom leadership powers throughout the world? It was certainly true when everyone said Obama made america “look weak” by going on his apology tour or when Bush labeled nations the “axis of evil.” It isn’t some unanticipated result that a bunch of Nigerians and some Americans see that the president of the United States says that there is an available cure to a pandemic that is right there for the taking and they get very sick.
Yeah but if the president acknowledged that radiation was a valid treatment for cancer, people would still be morons for sticking their head in a microwave.

Feel free to attribute dumb crap like this to Trump, but I think it detracts from his actual shortcomings with respect to the response.

Trump didn't tell people to go self medicate with whatever amount of Chloroquine they felt was right. 

If he said that, I missed it, and I've been paying pretty close attention to the press briefings, etc.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: March 23, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
Yeah but if the president acknowledged that radiation was a valid treatment for cancer, people would still be morons for sticking their head in a microwave.

Feel free to attribute dumb crap like this to Trump, but I think it detracts from his actual shortcomings with respect to the response.

If he said that, I missed it, and I've been paying pretty close attention to the press briefings, etc.

Trump identified a fairly rare medication specifically by name as a probable cure.  Multiple times.

It is fair he didn't force feed these people thye drugs but he needs to know MAGAs are super dumb and even more gullible sp he has some duty to not tell them crazy crap.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: March 23, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »
Feel free to look at the tweet, look at your hypothetical and see what the difference is.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2234 on: March 23, 2020, 04:59:14 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: March 23, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
Question is what happens when the lockdown is lifted and people change their behavior. I guess China would be a good data point.

https://twitter.com/AngrierWHStaff/status/1242191238754902016

China isn't a good data point for anything, I don't trust a word they're saying.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: March 23, 2020, 05:18:02 PM »
I was going to ask. Is the state of Washington allowing furloughed workers to get unemployment benefits?

I'm not sure how smoothly it's going, but there is a premise for it.  I only know because the bar owner posted on facebook a stack of letters she'd gotten from the unemployment office as "progress" that things were moving swiftly.  I zoomed in and saw they were all denials of "standby" unemployment.  Looked that up and it's for people who are furloughed with the expectation of going back within 4 weeks, and makes it where they don't have to go through the song & dance of applying for new jobs.  Her crew got denied because they couldn't say they'd be hired back within 4 weeks, although the letter indicated that if the employer says they'll be back within 8 weeks and is cool w/taking the ding on their UI for that, then it'd be approved.  I assume she's done that, as her crew getting money was her biggest motivator for just closing entirely rather than trying to turn into a carry-out business.

I also think they may have gotten approved, but just not of the "standby" type, which probably means they just have to fill out some token job applications each week.

The ones who are black should apply to be NFL head coaches and GMs, and then both sides can be getting something out of the teams' token  rooney rule interviews.

There's no excuse for state government to work that poorly.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: March 23, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
Question is what happens when the lockdown is lifted and people change their behavior. I guess China would be a good data point.

The idea is that when lockdown is lifted, a significant portion on the community is already immune so risk of overloading the hospitals is much less. Still, I anticipate shelter in place type restrictions will be slowly phased out for the same reason—not entirely lifted.

And agree with MIR that China can and has plenty of reason to fudge their numbers. That said their overall strategy is definitely effective if you can do it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 23, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »
I was going to ask. Is the state of Washington allowing furloughed workers to get unemployment benefits?

I'm not sure how smoothly it's going, but there is a premise for it.  I only know because the bar owner posted on facebook a stack of letters she'd gotten from the unemployment office as "progress" that things were moving swiftly.  I zoomed in and saw they were all denials of "standby" unemployment.  Looked that up and it's for people who are furloughed with the expectation of going back within 4 weeks, and makes it where they don't have to go through the song & dance of applying for new jobs.  Her crew got denied because they couldn't say they'd be hired back within 4 weeks, although the letter indicated that if the employer says they'll be back within 8 weeks and is cool w/taking the ding on their UI for that, then it'd be approved.  I assume she's done that, as her crew getting money was her biggest motivator for just closing entirely rather than trying to turn into a carry-out business.

I also think they may have gotten approved, but just not of the "standby" type, which probably means they just have to fill out some token job applications each week.

The ones who are black should apply to be NFL head coaches and GMs, and then both sides can be getting something out of the teams' token rooney rule interviews.

There's no excuse for state government to work that poorly.

It's exactly how any state function of the sort operates; disability, unemployment, etc.  The processes are designed to where there's almost always an initial denial, and then the applicant has to do an appeal process to provide more information to show they're entitled to something. 

The problem here is that the unemployment benefits option and process isn't designed to be taking in this many applicants with uncertain situations all at once, and that's why there needed to be and needs to be a coronavirus-specific solution exclusive from standard unemployment benefits - direct payments to all/most/affected, or a separate state unemployment process specific to the uniqueness of those unemployed because of coronavirus (including those whose jobs went away by state's order).

But why would any politician/government be motivated to get that done quickly and without ulterior motives?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: March 23, 2020, 05:30:38 PM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: March 23, 2020, 06:02:01 PM »

Hammer and dance article on medium explains this

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: March 23, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: March 23, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »
Good for them

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: March 23, 2020, 06:54:57 PM »
 :surprised:

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/1242237153435926529

There was a report that Rupert Murdoch called Hannity and told him to take this seriously.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: March 23, 2020, 06:57:11 PM »
Tump today said we have more auto deaths so nbd guys.

I bet the national 15 days goes 7 past that then he says up to the states so he can then claim he is opening up the economy and blame any governor for future spread or bad economy because "it was up to them"

Dangerous. Ugh.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 23, 2020, 06:58:08 PM »
Yeah, this is way too slow for trump, he's gone back to thinking nothing is happening. He pulled out the flu and traffic deaths talking point today
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: March 23, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
i assume all of these people being furloghed are also losing there employee provided health insurance.

is that accurate?

Skipped a couple pages to respond to this so maybe someone has, but by definition you get to keep your insurance. The question is how long will companies be able to stay under "furlough" before just nixing everything. I have no idea, the answer could be "forever" or it could be "one month". I doubt this is an issue they've had to deal with at any point in the past century.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: March 23, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »
After I listened to his press conference yesterday, all I could think about was I'll never get that 1'45" back.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: March 23, 2020, 07:08:26 PM »
Yeah, this is way too slow for trump, he's gone back to thinking nothing is happening. He pulled out the flu and traffic deaths talking point today

he's really dumb