Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1068589 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #15925 on: May 16, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
I think what’s important is China discovered it and suppressed the crap out of it to the extent of coercing WHO into lying about it.   I’m not sure the US under Trump would have benefited from any advanced warning but the rest of the world certainly would have.
We had advance warning and our top infectious disease guy said the average American had nothing to worry about.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15926 on: May 16, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »
I think what’s important is China discovered it and suppressed the crap out of it to the extent of coercing WHO into lying about it.   I’m not sure the US under Trump would have benefited from any advanced warning but the rest of the world certainly would have.

what did china not tell the world that would have made any difference in how the world reacted?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15927 on: May 16, 2021, 09:42:16 PM »

Should have shut down travel to and from China immediately and worked with the rest of the world to contain it before it spread more widely

what did china not tell the world that would have made any difference in how the world reacted?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15928 on: May 16, 2021, 09:50:08 PM »
ok, but what did china not tell the world that if they had shared would have caused the world to shut down travel?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15929 on: May 16, 2021, 09:57:30 PM »
ok, but what did china not tell the world that if they had shared would have caused the world to shut down travel?

They lied about human-to-human transmission, for starters.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15930 on: May 16, 2021, 10:20:40 PM »
Even after the dangers were known, it took FOREVER for people to recognize that it was an honest to God actual pandemic that would definitely be affecting their daily lives. No one could wrap their head around that idea in the beginning.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15931 on: May 16, 2021, 10:44:21 PM »
They lied about human-to-human transmission, for starters.

from what date to what date?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15932 on: May 16, 2021, 10:45:08 PM »
sys, this is a weird hill for you to die on.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: May 16, 2021, 10:46:32 PM »
Even after the dangers were known, it took FOREVER for people to recognize that it was an honest to God actual pandemic that would definitely be affecting their daily lives. No one could wrap their head around that idea in the beginning.

yeah, if there was any point in time where other govts suddenly got scared straight and imposed preemptive policies to ward off coronavirus based on new communication from china, it has entirely escaped my memory.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: May 16, 2021, 10:48:39 PM »

you're welcome to get in on the fun.  come up with literally any evidence that substantiates the assertion that misinformation or non-disclosure of information from china meaningfully changed or delayed how other govts responded to the emerging pandemic.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15935 on: May 16, 2021, 10:50:58 PM »
He’s a weirdo, so this hill is as good as any other.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: May 16, 2021, 10:51:29 PM »

you're welcome to get in on the fun.  come up with literally any evidence that substantiates the assertion that misinformation or non-disclosure of information from china meaningfully changed or delayed how other govts responded to the emerging pandemic.

oh all I have to do is prove a hypothetical counter-factual to your exacting standards of evidence? I'll pass.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: May 16, 2021, 11:01:24 PM »
Here is the only American on the WHO investigative team (who had ties to the Wuhan lab and coronavirus research) describing the WHO investigation of the lab leak theory. 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/lesley-stahl-grills-member-of-who-team-on-chinas-denial-of-wuhan-lab-theory-youre-just-taking-their-word-for-it/
DASZAK:

We met with them, we said “Do you audit the lab?” And they said “annually.” “Did you audit it after the outbreak?” “Yes.” “Was anything found?” “No.” “Do you test your staff?” “Yes.”
STAHL:

But you’re just taking their word for it.
DASZAK:

Well, what else can we do?

Pretty sound investigative work.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15938 on: May 16, 2021, 11:20:56 PM »
oh all I have to do is prove a hypothetical counter-factual to your exacting standards of evidence? I'll pass.

it's just a factual.  document something china did not disclose and then document how foreign govts changed their coronavirus response once that information was disclosed.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15939 on: May 16, 2021, 11:31:01 PM »

it's just a factual.  document something china did not disclose and then document how foreign govts changed their coronavirus response once that information was disclosed.

But the entire point is that China suppressed information about the coronavirus at the earliest stages of the disease when there was the best chance of containing it. 

https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-early-days-of-chinas-coronavirus-coverup/

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15940 on: May 16, 2021, 11:34:44 PM »
and when that information came out, did it change how foreign govts approached the (then potential) pandemic?

because i have no recollection that it did at all.  perhaps my memory is overly influenced by what european and north american govts did, but i don't recall a response anywhere.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: May 16, 2021, 11:39:10 PM »
and when that information came out, did it change how foreign govts approached the (then potential) pandemic?

because i have no recollection that it did at all.  perhaps my memory is overly influenced by what european and north american govts did, but i don't recall a response anywhere.

If China had suppressed the thing in December then maybe Europe and everyone else wouldn't have even had to step on their own dicks.

Jan 14, the WHO tweeted that there was no human-to-human transmission even after China had known that wasn't true for weeks.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/wuhan-doctors-say-they-were-told-to-lie-about-severity-of-covid19-in-secretly-filmed-video/news-story/c571272b7297515273542be9d8d9a777

I mean China's government is to this day trying to say the virus was spread by foreign frozen foods.

So, again, who the hell knows what would've happened had the severity of the virus not been a slowly unfolding disaster as it spread throughout the world and instead China shared information openly from the beginning.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: May 16, 2021, 11:57:52 PM »
i mean sure, if china had completely suppressed the virus before it left there borders, it would have saved a lot of other governments the problem of dealing with the pandemic.  but is that in any way a reasonable expectation?  that china would instantaneously devise and implement a response to a virus they knew nothing about that was more effective than 99% of countries managed to mount when given additional time and knowledge to prepare?

it does not seem reasonable to me.

there's no disputing the fact that china initially hid some of what they knew.  and i think your wired article points out that even when most of that information was disclosed internationally, they continued to censor and propagandize internally to control what information chinese citizens had available to them.  but i think people may be overstating how long china actually repressed information internationally.  it was not very long.  this interview with tufekci doesn't give a lot of dates and precise disclosures, but it makes clear that chinese scientists were sharing accurate information pretty early on and the information needed for an informed observer to conclude there was substantial risk of the virus impacting other countries was available well before govts began to take action.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/938808

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15943 on: May 17, 2021, 09:10:57 AM »
Does anyone remember that stand-up comedian that broke quarantine from the cruise ship?  Man, what a jerk.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15944 on: May 17, 2021, 09:14:08 AM »
Does anyone remember how the Chinese allowed people to travel to and from Wuhan by the thousands upon thousands, and how they knew about the outbreak and yet allowed people to hop on airplanes and fly all over the world?

Sadly, many of the Italian leather makers and similar in certain regions of Italy have sold out to the Chinese and subsequently those areas get a lot of air traffic from China, and that's why Italy was overrun with the Rona early on.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15945 on: May 17, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »
Fire that AZ to whoever wants it. Then the JNJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: May 17, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »
Keep the Pfizer and Moderna in the deep freeze
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: May 17, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »
Fire that AZ to whoever wants it. Then the JNJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the Pfizer and Moderna in the deep freeze
You are both nominated for The Strategic Chip Stockpile Board of Trustees.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: May 18, 2021, 08:52:26 AM »