Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1050349 times)

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #10925 on: October 20, 2020, 09:36:03 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: October 20, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »
I imagine most folks who end up permanent wfh are in programming or something. Maybe some finance and HR functions too. I'm not sure how it will work but I don't think it will be easy to just outsource. But it will be interesting to see what happens with salaries for those permanent WFH folks and when they hire for those roles nationally.

What is your hypothesis regarding whether those salaries will go up/down/same?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: October 20, 2020, 10:57:45 PM »
I imagine most folks who end up permanent wfh are in programming or something. Maybe some finance and HR functions too. I'm not sure how it will work but I don't think it will be easy to just outsource. But it will be interesting to see what happens with salaries for those permanent WFH folks and when they hire for those roles nationally.

facebook, for example, is adjusting salary based on where the people actually live. And I actually know a FB employee planning to move to KS from here so I'm guessing the adjustment isn't terrible. And I'd guess most companies in the area copy or are less generous than facebook.

I'm also wondering about onboarding when you are hiring someone 100% remote to mix with folks that were 100% in the office not that long ago. We've done it but not anyone I've worked closely with.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: October 20, 2020, 11:03:51 PM »
Bay Area real estate prices about to become a lot more affordable
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: October 20, 2020, 11:20:07 PM »
Melanie is still sick
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1318595345522200576

Calling her Melanie is the same as mispronouncing Kamala.
True, but could have been a phone autocorrect

Absolutely.

Well it absolutely wasn't. What's hilarious about this is you actually think calling that woman Melanie is the same as this

https://twitter.com/ossoff/status/1317231042089111552
You fragile white folks are wild :ROFL: rusty, you know better, don't fall for that ridiculous shell game. This is the watered down version of "Karen is the same as the n-word."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: October 20, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
Bay Area real estate prices about to become a lot more affordable
You would think but not quite yet. Condos seem to be going down but anything with two of more bedrooms and a yard continues to be crazy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: October 20, 2020, 11:25:23 PM »

Well it absolutely wasn't. What's hilarious about this is you actually think calling that woman Melanie is the same as this

https://twitter.com/ossoff/status/1317231042089111552
You fragile white folks are wild :ROFL: rusty, you know better, don't fall for that ridiculous shell game. This is the watered down version of "Karen is the same as the n-word."

You're absolutely right, I posted from a car too quickly

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: October 20, 2020, 11:46:00 PM »

facebook, for example, is adjusting salary based on where the people actually live. And I actually know a FB employee planning to move to KS from here so I'm guessing the adjustment isn't terrible. And I'd guess most companies in the area copy or are less generous than facebook.

I'm also wondering about onboarding when you are hiring someone 100% remote to mix with folks that were 100% in the office not that long ago. We've done it but not anyone I've worked closely with.

Depending on the company/job it’s Dev/Engineer for job title, just as an FYI. We have a pretty large off shore team but because we have sensitive customer data you have to physically be in the US to access, which secures my job.

I have a pretty unique role at work(especially for a larger company) where I have elevated permissions for stuff, but I also develop new features, which could create a conflict of interest.

We have pretty siloed positions, but mine is kind of a hybrid so the pay scale is almost unlimited because of the responsibility range. Since we will probably be WFH going forward even after the pandemic I’m not sure what I want to do. Our corporate headquarters is in KC and we haven’t changed anything for location of worker yet. Will be interesting.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: October 21, 2020, 12:46:58 AM »
rough ridin' mammalian immune systems, man.  i swear to god reptiles figured this crap out 300 million years ago.

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1318789621074067456
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: October 21, 2020, 05:49:09 AM »

My sister in law is some kind of financial tech analyst. Moved from Chicago to kc and was on the same salary. Worked remote for a few years and ended up taking a kc job for less money because Chicago wanted her to travel all the time.

Instead of the lower paycheck in kc she just became an independent “consultant” and got the Chicago job back for more money but sans health care.

I wonder if facebooky types will do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10935 on: October 21, 2020, 07:25:20 AM »
And KS and NE explode into the public awareness

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: October 21, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
And KS and NE explode into the public awareness

dayyum

I don't understand how a nursing home manages to get every last  resident infected. Maybe no rapid testing or multiple infected asymptomatic staff?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: October 21, 2020, 08:25:29 AM »
Most KS coverage in NYTimes ever?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: October 21, 2020, 08:34:07 AM »
Similarly sized Euro countries adding new cases in the thousands, approaching or exceeding 10's of thousands in one case.

Sweden, still less than 1K new cases a day.   Mortality still flat lined.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: October 21, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
Most KS coverage in NYTimes ever?
Clutter killings, BTK killings, Eisenhower funeral might top it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: October 21, 2020, 09:08:46 AM »
Similarly sized Euro countries adding new cases in the thousands, approaching or exceeding 10's of thousands in one case.

Can you give us 50-100 words on your thoughts on why Sweden is showing the numbers they are?  I'm interested in why you keep bringing them up.

From Sweden just yesterday (opinion section alert) https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/20/sweden-economy-pandemic-strategy/

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: October 21, 2020, 10:50:40 AM »

Can you give us 50-100 words on your thoughts on why Sweden is showing the numbers they are?  I'm interested in why you keep bringing them up.

From Sweden just yesterday (opinion section alert) https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/20/sweden-economy-pandemic-strategy/

Oh hey Phil, there hasn't been any questioning of the "too many people" died relative to the precept that nobody wants to see anybody die (well. except for BidenVoters hoping Trump would die, but I digress).    Nice cherry picking BTW.

Even a CoronaBro Drama Queen like you understands that when one Euro country  with a similar population as Sweden is recording daily records of new RONA cases numbering at or near the tens of thousands.     While Sweden continues to record sub 1000 new daily cases and single digit daily mortality.  A rate/number that has remained flatlined for months.   Then that's worthy of some discussion, is it not?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: October 21, 2020, 10:58:02 AM »
Core EU/FEU countries with a combined population similar to the United States-Germany, France, Belgium, Italy, UK  and Spain combined for:

UK: 21,330 (second highest number to date)
France:  20,468
Spain: 13,873
Italy:  10,871  (second highest number to date)
Belgium: 8,227
Germany: 6,868 (second highest number to date)

81,637 new Covid-19 cases yesterday

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: October 21, 2020, 11:07:15 AM »
Pretty sure Sweden became more restrictive than most of Western Europe sometime this summer - AFAIK they always limited the 50-person limit and kept high schools and universities virtual.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: October 21, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »

Oh hey Phil, there hasn't been any questioning of the "too many people" died relative to the precept that nobody wants to see anybody die (well. except for BidenVoters hoping Trump would die, but I digress).    Nice cherry picking BTW.

Even a CoronaBro Drama Queen like you understands that when one Euro country  with a similar population as Sweden is recording daily records of new RONA cases numbering at or near the tens of thousands.     While Sweden continues to record sub 1000 new daily cases and single digit daily mortality.  A rate/number that has remained flatlined for months.   Then that's worthy of some discussion, is it not?

This appears to be a foreign language ran through a 1990's generation translator.  Goodness it makes zero sense, there are like 8 spaces between sentences, odd extra spaces within sentences, fragments.   :blindfold:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: October 21, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »

This appears to be a foreign language ran through a 1990's generation translator.  Goodness it makes zero sense, there are like 8 spaces between sentences, odd extra spaces within sentences, fragments.   :blindfold:

Not the least bit surprising that the boards biggest CoronaBro Drama Queen is also the most anal.

You're bothered by the Sweden discussion because unlike you and your ilk.  They didn't have a complete meltdown about the RONA.   The early death rate is a favorite topic of CoronaBros who are now enraged that Sweden appears to have made it through to the end of the first wave.   While now avoiding the 2nd (or 3rd) wave, at least so far.   While the rest of the E "they're so much better than us, we should do it like they do it" U is (once again) a roiling cauldron of SARS-Covid-19 with seemingly no end in sight.  Outside of economy killing draconian lockdown re-instatement.  Which has been proven to have solved nothing but delaying the inevitable.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #10947 on: October 21, 2020, 11:51:32 AM »
So you think Sweden has reached herd immunity?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: October 21, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »
So you think Sweden has reached herd immunity?

Why are you asking me?

How TF would I know?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: October 21, 2020, 11:59:56 AM »
:lol: