Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1070130 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #10825 on: October 19, 2020, 02:39:06 PM »
I'm staying home the whole week and video gaming my ass off  :th_twocents:

New xbox?  New COD?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: October 19, 2020, 03:00:39 PM »
really hope California looks into tighter entry restrictions as gross Nevada is spiking and we have idiots fly home to places like Wisconsin for Thanksgiving. Block them at the border/airport.

I can't fathom why anyone would insist on traveling for traditional thanksgiving.  2020's weird.  Cook a turkey at home, videoconference everyone and laugh at it all, and have a unique chip'd thanksgiving in March or whatever.

same reasons they always do, they miss family. Anecdotally I think a lot of people with new babies or no kids and no family close will be more likely to travel. I think people with school-aged kids will stay put because we still don't have schools open.

I'll be staying in town and probably doing an outside thanksgiving with the people I normally socialize with outside.

Sure, everyone misses lots of things and people.  This whole COVID thing has made for lots of inconveniences and calendar issues, or worse.  One of them is that it'll be thanksgiving in a month and people might not be able to do or shouldn't do what they'd normally do.  We've adapted on everything else and this can be another thing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: October 19, 2020, 03:02:44 PM »
really hope California looks into tighter entry restrictions as gross Nevada is spiking and we have idiots fly home to places like Wisconsin for Thanksgiving. Block them at the border/airport.

I can't fathom why anyone would insist on traveling for traditional thanksgiving.  2020's weird.  Cook a turkey at home, videoconference everyone and laugh at it all, and have a unique chip'd thanksgiving in March or whatever.

same reasons they always do, they miss family. Anecdotally I think a lot of people with new babies or no kids and no family close will be more likely to travel. I think people with school-aged kids will stay put because we still don't have schools open.

I'll be staying in town and probably doing an outside thanksgiving with the people I normally socialize with outside.

Sure, everyone misses lots of things and people.  This whole COVID thing has made for lots of inconveniences and calendar issues, or worse.  One of them is that it'll be thanksgiving in a month and people might not be able to do or shouldn't do what they'd normally do.  We've adapted on everything else and this can be another thing.

yeah you and I get that but a lot of folks won't. It gets harder the longer we go.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: October 19, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »
He’s losing it more than normal

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1318278783141629952

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: October 19, 2020, 03:07:19 PM »
I'm staying home the whole week and video gaming my ass off  :th_twocents:

New xbox?  New COD?

Cyberpunk 2077 comes out the 19th
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10830 on: October 19, 2020, 03:09:51 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: October 19, 2020, 03:10:54 PM »

yeah you and I get that but a lot of folks won't. It gets harder the longer we go.

I suppose.  I find it easier now because I'm totally adjusted to this #life, and there's lots more solid news about treatments/vaccines along with maybe even a new president soon!  In my mind, we've made it through the shittiest part of being stuck and without any measurable timeline for hope, and now it's just sticking with it a bit more so we can have this completely behind us sooner than later.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: October 19, 2020, 03:13:33 PM »

I suppose.  I find it easier now because I'm totally adjusted to this #life, and there's lots more solid news about treatments/vaccines along with maybe even a new president soon!  In my mind, we've made it through the shittiest part of being stuck and without any measurable timeline for hope, and now it's just sticking with it a bit more so we can have this completely behind us sooner than later.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: October 19, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616

Yes, that was from shitty stuck hopeless april but now vials of chips are being cranked out which is great and should make us all want to hibernate for just a bit longer.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: October 19, 2020, 03:17:21 PM »

Yes, that was from shitty stuck hopeless april but now vials of chips are being cranked out which is great and should make us all want to hibernate for just a bit longer.

Doesn't mean any of it is going to work.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: October 19, 2020, 03:21:06 PM »
Just a reminder.  Someone should go ask Tony about this.

Scientists were close to a coronavirus vaccine years ago. Then the money dried up.

But this was 2016. More than a decade had passed since the viral disease known as severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, had spread through China, killing more than 770 people. That disease, an earlier coronavirus similar to the one now sweeping the globe, was a distant memory by the time Hotez and his team sought funding to test whether their vaccine would work in humans.

"We tried like heck to see if we could get investors or grants to move this into the clinic," said Hotez, co-director of the Center for Vaccine Development at Texas Children's Hospital and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. "But we just could not generate much interest."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: October 19, 2020, 03:22:39 PM »

More and more people are just over it and think it's just a small chance to take

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: October 19, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »

Well it hasn't been confirmed that any of it won't work so you saying that the chips might not work is you not having the first rough ridin' clue if they'll work or not.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: October 19, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »

More and more people are just over it and think it's just a small chance to take

That's very selfish.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: October 19, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »

Well it hasn't been confirmed that any of it won't work so you saying that the chips might not work is you not having the first rough ridin' clue if they'll work or not.

This is very true, at the end of the day they really don't have the first rough ridin' clue if any of it is going to work.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: October 19, 2020, 03:29:24 PM »

That's very selfish.

Welcome to America

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: October 19, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
i don't give a crap about thanksgiving, but christmas is a big deal for my family.  it would very hard for us not to congregate at my father's house and i have no real hope that the virus will be less prevalent in two months.

i/we have not decided what we're going to do.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: October 19, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »
i don't give a crap about thanksgiving, but christmas is a big deal for my family.  it would very hard for us not to congregate at my father's house and i have no real hope that the virus will be less prevalent in two months.

I'm pretty sure we'll be quarantining prior.  Not like it will be hard to do in early december.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: October 19, 2020, 04:00:28 PM »
Hasn't everyone had an event/tradition/trip mumped up by something - illness, travel issues, force majeure, etc.?  That's what's happened to your upcoming holiday things, but you've caught a break in that you were given plenty of advance notice of the problem and have time to come up with a 1-time mod to the tradition and will adapt your event in a very unique memorable way this year.

Wasn't it a year or two ago that facebook and amazon were pushing all their apps and tablets that have people video'n the rest of their family for events and they sold them as it was just like being there?  And those were largely lol'd at because why would someone do that when they can attend irl?  Well now there's a great use for those things.  Use them.  And in 50 years show your grandkids pictures of what the crazy 2020 holidays were like when there was a once-in-a-century pandemic.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: October 19, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »
  it would very hard for us not to congregate at my father's house and i have no real hope that the virus will be less prevalent in two months.

How would the emotional toll of missing a Christmas compare to the emotional toll of someone infecting your father? Would you miss Christmas if there was a 5% chance of infection? 1%? 0.01%?

I'm pretty sure we'll be quarantining prior.  Not like it will be hard to do in early december.

I predict it will be very hard for you to not go to restaurants (assuming they are open in KC in early December)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10845 on: October 19, 2020, 04:04:49 PM »
Peggy Pos: my entire family outside of myself, wife, and kids are probably now immune.

Nancy Neg: some of that family may not be out of the hospital for the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: October 19, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »
  it would very hard for us not to congregate at my father's house and i have no real hope that the virus will be less prevalent in two months.

How would the emotional toll of missing a Christmas compare to the emotional toll of someone infecting your father? Would you miss Christmas if there was a 5% chance of infection? 1%? 0.01%?

I predict it will be very hard for you to not go to restaurants (assuming they are open in KC in early December)
Not eating inside so the chances of outdoor dining being available is slim.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: October 19, 2020, 04:20:05 PM »

I'm saying I think you'll break and eat inside!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: October 19, 2020, 04:27:49 PM »

I'm saying I think you'll break and eat inside!
It's not a bad bet. Just depends on how things are going but if we have Christmas planned it will be easy to resist.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: October 19, 2020, 04:35:09 PM »
Just saw there's been a chiefs game on since 4pm KC time on a Monday.  2020's weird.  2020 holidays will be too.