Author Topic: Did LHC Bill Snyder Actually Completely Suck?  (Read 15096 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Did LHC Bill Snyder Actually Completely Suck?
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2019, 10:09:01 PM »
I enjoyed the vast majority of LHOFCBS's tenure at K-State.  Lot of good times.  I'm not a tuck, but I found it strange how angry, and frankly cruel, a lot of cat fans were during the last year or so of Snyder's tenure, as well as during the coaching search.  Made little sense to me.  Guy held on a year or two too long.  Not unheard of for competitive people like coach.  I don't think someone who coached for 27 years should be judged on the performance of just a few of those, anymore than a new coach should be judged based on the performance of 3 games.

You're not going to get anywhere talking to the most ardent, angry anti-Snyderites. They are at best hypocrites but in most cases they are weirdo conspiracy theorists with real short memories. He deserved to go, no doubt, but the people who take it farther than that deserve to be laughed at. I'll straight up @ people on this too. Although aside from two exceptions the regular posters on this site aren't the vocal weirdos, I think for the most part everyone on here just wanted him gone because he wasn't a good football coach anymore.

Dax is a weirdo, who gives a flying eff if his only motivation was to get Sean the job. Completely ignoring the fact that it's a completely stupid talking point, the guy literally risked his well being to continue coaching while he was driving to KC twice a week for cancer treatments. If he wanted Sean to be the head coach he would have quit in August of '17. Sisco was coming back, everyone thought that was going to be a 9 win team. He wanted Sean to coach, but he wanted it when he was done, he clearly didn't think he was done.

@scottwildcat calls Snyder all kinds of bad names because now that he has talked to a couple of players he's been enlightened to some of the crap Snyder has done to players. He rough ridin' did crap like that the whole time he was here. Was there anything worse than what he did to Ell? He literally shortened Collin Klein's life right in front of our eyes and people like SC fistpumped right along. People getting in their feelings about held bowl rings more than the players did.

LHC Bill Snyder spent thirty years being an unctuous, surly, single minded, control freak who won a crap ton of football games at great expense to him and the people around him. That's what he felt was needed to be successful and he was right. We were all complicit because we all fed into the machine and when outsiders asked questions, we got offended, shut them out. The guy lost some games late in his career and some people have the nerve to get offended at the behavior he exhibits, that he did for years without impunity, to build all of this crap.

Whining about him being mean and cashing in on all he did for the program is really rough ridin' rich.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2019, 10:15:50 PM »
 :lynchmob: :clap:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
I blocked SWC on twitter almost 2 years ago and it’s one of the best social media things I ever have done.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »
I enjoyed the vast majority of LHOFCBS's tenure at K-State.  Lot of good times.  I'm not a tuck, but I found it strange how angry, and frankly cruel, a lot of cat fans were during the last year or so of Snyder's tenure, as well as during the coaching search.  Made little sense to me.  Guy held on a year or two too long.  Not unheard of for competitive people like coach.  I don't think someone who coached for 27 years should be judged on the performance of just a few of those, anymore than a new coach should be judged based on the performance of 3 games.

You're not going to get anywhere talking to the most ardent, angry anti-Snyderites. They are at best hypocrites but in most cases they are weirdo conspiracy theorists with real short memories. He deserved to go, no doubt, but the people who take it farther than that deserve to be laughed at. I'll straight up @ people on this too. Although aside from two exceptions the regular posters on this site aren't the vocal weirdos, I think for the most part everyone on here just wanted him gone because he wasn't a good football coach anymore.

Dax is a weirdo, who gives a flying eff if his only motivation was to get Sean the job. Completely ignoring the fact that it's a completely stupid talking point, the guy literally risked his well being to continue coaching while he was driving to KC twice a week for cancer treatments. If he wanted Sean to be the head coach he would have quit in August of '17. Sisco was coming back, everyone thought that was going to be a 9 win team. He wanted Sean to coach, but he wanted it when he was done, he clearly didn't think he was done.

@scottwildcat calls Snyder all kinds of bad names because now that he has talked to a couple of players he's been enlightened to some of the crap Snyder has done to players. He rough ridin' did crap like that the whole time he was here. Was there anything worse than what he did to Ell? He literally shortened Collin Klein's life right in front of our eyes and people like SC fistpumped right along. People getting in their feelings about held bowl rings more than the players did.

LHC Bill Snyder spent thirty years being an unctuous, surly, single minded, control freak who won a crap ton of football games at great expense to him and the people around him. That's what he felt was needed to be successful and he was right. We were all complicit because we all fed into the machine and when outsiders asked questions, we got offended, shut them out. The guy lost some games late in his career and some people have the nerve to get offended at the behavior he exhibits, that he did for years without impunity, to build all of this crap.

Whining about him being mean and cashing in on all he did for the program is really rough ridin' rich.

MIR, I couldn't have said it better... well maybe.  JK  :cheers:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2019, 12:07:01 AM »
if bill quit a year earlier there would be some chance that sean is the coach, and he would definitely push for it. last year he mumped up so bad he knew there was no shot.

his motivation was for sure #1 get sean the job, and #2, if he could just hang on one more year as the figurehead that's another 3.5 million for his #family.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2019, 12:16:09 AM »
if bill quit a year earlier there would be some chance that sean is the coach, and he would definitely push for it. last year he mumped up so bad he knew there was no shot.

his motivation was for sure #1 get sean the job, and #2, if he could just hang on one more year as the figurehead that's another 3.5 million for his #family.
Nah, his motivation was the exact same as anyone else who built anything of substance. He didn't think anyone was more suited to do his job than him. Let's not forget that he saw it get mumped up once.
Also there was no chance Sean was getting hired by Gene. The only way it would have worked is if Sean was the interim and was so good that he got a groundswell of support.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2019, 12:17:47 AM »
i'm still going with my angle so i can be :curse: at something

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2019, 12:40:31 AM »
i'm still going with my angle so i can be :curse: at something

:Woot:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2019, 01:30:24 AM »
I personally don't see anything wrong with someone taking issue with Snyder's bad person approach to player treatment/being an bad person in 2018 but accepting it in 1998. Times change.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
You can be a giant bad person when you get results. Being a giant bad person and sucking is sad and losery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »
but there is no evidence he went to any meaningful lengths to make sure that was going to happen.

What would constitute meaningful lengths to make sure Sean got the job?  You seem to be much closer to the program than most but it seems like he did many things to try to get Sean the job.

i'm having a hard time naming anything, and that's kind of the point. neither john currie nor gene taylor were ever going even consider hiring sean, so it didn't really matter what bill did. it's my opinion that people talked about bill wanting sean to be head coach so much, that it became this accepted talking point with way more attention than it deserved.

the point is bill kept coaching because he wanted to keep coaching.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
but he wasn't exactly coaching...

he was banking on sean and him going 9-3 and then having a good argument for being coach

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2019, 09:23:44 AM »
It's funny how he was like, "Sean is basically the head coach right now," trying to prop him up, and then we went 5-7. Whoops. That backfired.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »
We should be EXTREMELY thankful that we didn't get Sean Suttoned/Pat Knighted.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
YES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2019, 09:46:04 AM »
I was kind of hoping we were going to be Tony Bennetted.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Did LHC LHC Bill Snyder Actually Completely Suck?
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2019, 09:52:46 AM »
By the end K-State had a bunch of grumpy Snyderites on the staff and a grumpy old football coach just hanging on to get paid massive amounts of $$, lose to Mack Brown intentionally and out of hope his son would be installed as the next coach.

The wholesale clean-out of the staff, except for Klein was long overdue.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2019, 09:55:28 AM »
LOL @MakeItRain . . . risking your life driving to KC for cancer treatments was/is a personal choice, no one, not a soul, at K-State was forcing LHC Bill Snyder to continue coaching through cancer.   

Having no other life outside of coaching football is also a personal choice, why should K-State pay a price for the fact that LHC Bill Snyder made a life choice to not enjoy any other aspects of life besides coaching football?  It's one of the most over played talking points out of Snyderites out of many.

To say or think no one else was suited for the job of K-State is like . . . peak arrogance. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:01:18 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2019, 10:44:34 AM »

he was banking on sean and him going 9-3 and then having a good argument for being coach

That would have been a good argument coming off 9 and 8 wins seasons with bowl victories. But the bottom fell out finally exposing a program suffering from a lack of innovation and recruiting.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »
LOL @MakeItRain . . . risking your life driving to KC for cancer treatments was/is a personal choice, no one, not a soul, at K-State was forcing LHC Bill Snyder to continue coaching through cancer.   

Having no other life outside of coaching football is also a personal choice, why should K-State pay a price for the fact that LHC Bill Snyder made a life choice to not enjoy any other aspects of life besides coaching football?  It's one of the most over played talking points out of Snyderites out of many.

To say or think no one else was suited for the job of K-State is like . . . peak arrogance.

i don't know what you're arguing at this point. most kstate fans believed it was time for snyder to go at the end of last season, and that's what happened.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
Great, now we have a football stadium named after a whole family that actually completely sucked.  :frown:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
and a highway

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
Dax literally thinks every single person in the world has a secret nefarious agenda to screw him. Yes it's insane, but it also provides some great bbs material.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2019, 11:22:01 AM »
LOL @MakeItRain . . . risking your life driving to KC for cancer treatments was/is a personal choice, no one, not a soul, at K-State was forcing LHC LHC Bill Snyder to continue coaching through cancer.   

Having no other life outside of coaching football is also a personal choice, why should K-State pay a price for the fact that LHC LHC Bill Snyder made a life choice to not enjoy any other aspects of life besides coaching football?  It's one of the most over played talking points out of Snyderites out of many.

what elite coach doesn't exhibit peak arrogance?

Bill built and then rebuilt a program we can be proud of but hung on a little longer than was ideal.

that being said how many competitiors hang it up when they are on top?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »

That would have been a good argument coming off 9 and 8 wins seasons with bowl victories. But the bottom fell out finally exposing a program suffering from a lack of innovation and recruiting.

I think this season is showing that the recruiting was just fine and that the main issue toward the end has been poor game management and discipline.