Author Topic: Master Political Social Media Thread  (Read 91041 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Master Political Social Media Thread
« Reply #475 on: July 06, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
Trying so hard . . .

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 06, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »
If there's one thing I know, and that's dax is never not wrong.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 06, 2022, 02:19:56 PM »
If there's one thing I know, and that's dax is never not wrong.

Highlighted is not applicable.  Try harder next time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 07, 2022, 04:04:20 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 07, 2022, 04:19:22 PM »
lmao elon, you massive dumbshit

https://twitter.com/matt_levine/status/1545149759526141958

That's not necessarily how it works. Hi, M&A litigation lawyer, checking in. A letter of intent (LoI) usually has certain assumptions spelled out that allow the Buyer to nix the deal pre-Closing if due diligence reveals deviations outside of acceptable ranges. This is why back when the Musk-Twitter thing was announced, I told everyone to pump the brakes. Big companies--especially public companies--are not acquired overnight. It takes months, at the very least, to work through due diligence. Do I think Musk and his investors are using this as an excuse to back out of the deal? Yes, probably so. But it's not necessarily wrong to do so, from a legal perspective.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 04:22:28 PM by Spracne »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 07, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »

That's not necessarily how it works. Hi, M&A litigation lawyer, checking in. A letter of intent (LoI) usually has certain assumptions spelled out that allow the Buyer to nix the deal pre-Closing if due diligence reveals deviations outside of acceptable ranges. This is why back when the Musk-Twitter thing was announced, I told everyone to pump the brakes. Big companies--especially public companies--are not acquired overnight. It takes months, at the very least, to work through due diligence. Do I think Musk and his investors are using this as an excuse to back out of the deal? Yes, probably so. But it's not necessarily wrong to do so, from a legal perspective.

i thought elon waived due diligence?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 07, 2022, 05:38:42 PM »

I've never seen that happen before and hence have no idea what it even means in any practical sense. I don't believe any of these transaction documents are publicly available, correct? Like, literally no one would commit to paying $44BB without an opportunity to vet the financials.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #483 on: July 07, 2022, 05:44:48 PM »
I'm not sure there is an upper limit to the amount of money someone might spend to own the libs.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 07, 2022, 06:02:20 PM »
I'm not sure there is an upper limit to the amount of money someone might spend to own the libs.
Or to taze off their own balls (metaphorically (sometimes)).

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 07, 2022, 06:11:07 PM »

I've never seen that happen before and hence have no idea what it even means in any practical sense. I don't believe any of these transaction documents are publicly available, correct? Like, literally no one would commit to paying $44BB without an opportunity to vet the financials.

I haven't read any of the actual documents, but the following seem like the key reported facts so far: (1) Elon signed an agreement to buy Twitter; (2) Elon waived the right to do due diligence prior to consummating the agreement; and (3) Elon agreed he would pay $1 billion if he doesn't go through with the purchase.

If that is all accurate you have to think it would be VERY tough to get out for something other than (pretty close to) $1 billion. I'm still taking all his theatrics as attempts to manipulate the stock price rather than seriously disclosing his legal exit strategy.

If I'm wrong and he seriously is making up garbage excuses then I'd have to think it's under some theory that he was fraudulently induced to enter the contract in the first place (in which case waiver of diligence is irrelevant). Still a loser, but at least it would be coherent.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 07, 2022, 06:17:47 PM »

I haven't read any of the actual documents, but the following seem like the key reported facts so far: (1) Elon signed an agreement to buy Twitter; (2) Elon waived the right to do due diligence prior to consummating the agreement; and (3) Elon agreed he would pay $1 billion if he doesn't go through with the purchase.

If that is all accurate you have to think it would be VERY tough to get out for something other than (pretty close to) $1 billion. I'm still taking all his theatrics as attempts to manipulate the stock price rather than seriously disclosing his legal exit strategy.

If I'm wrong and he seriously is making up garbage excuses then I'd have to think it's under some theory that he was fraudulently induced to enter the contract in the first place (in which case waiver of diligence is irrelevant). Still a loser, but at least it would be coherent.

I've heard this whole "Elon waived due diligence" thing, but I still can't wrap my head around what that looks like in practice. We are in bizarro world trying to speculate. Fair point that fraudulent inducement could be a reason to rescind the transaction before it's consummated. Unless ... has it been consummated? I was under the impression we are still pre-Closing. It is almost impossible to rescind the sale/merger of a publicly traded company after Closing. Without seeing the transaction documents, it's very difficult to speculate.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 07, 2022, 06:36:27 PM »

What I've read/seen/heard (non-M&A lawyer or even regular lawyer but guy who watches finance brain rot TV 24/7/365) is that the $1b isn't even an option for him. Don't know the reason for that, but basically he's consummated this deal with his 5/10 employee (company) and it's already crap out twins and he's gotta papa musk them.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 07, 2022, 06:44:22 PM »
I'm going to believe he's on the hook for $44B because it's so hilarious and absurd and maybe means he's kinda mumped.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 08, 2022, 05:18:50 PM »
alwaysrightstone is my new name.  Please use in the future

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 08, 2022, 05:24:04 PM »
My 5 minute take is that he’s using a provision of the merger agreement under which Twitter agreed to provide information “reasonably necessary” to consummate the transaction, and treating it like it’s basically a diligence right. I guess the line he’s trying to toe is saying he needed the info “for his investors” who presumably could back out if they weren’t satisfied with certain metrics. It’s obviously weak, but I’ve no idea how weak.

That and fraudulent inducement.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 08, 2022, 07:14:55 PM »
He’s the max maga thing to be their new god and that is a public tazing.  He will run for office now

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 08, 2022, 07:37:03 PM »
COMMON GROUND!

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 08, 2022, 07:38:10 PM »
He’s the max maga thing to be their new god and that is a public tazing.  He will run for office now

would be fascinating to see, just for the question of how it affects Tesla sales...is this some kind of long con to get GOP rank & file on board with environment / green cars

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 08, 2022, 07:39:20 PM »
My 5 minute take is that he’s using a provision of the merger agreement under which Twitter agreed to provide information “reasonably necessary” to consummate the transaction, and treating it like it’s basically a diligence right. I guess the line he’s trying to toe is saying he needed the info “for his investors” who presumably could back out if they weren’t satisfied with certain metrics. It’s obviously weak, but I’ve no idea how weak.

That and fraudulent inducement.

It's difficult to guess without seeing whatever form the transaction documents are in. But I would speculate that you're on the right track, here. Will be interesting to see whether the ensuing litigation costs more or less than $1B in attorneys' fees and settlement dollars.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 09, 2022, 11:01:10 AM »
He had no choice than to back out and face the consequences in court. He had no way to finance it. Not even the Saudi’s were going to back that offer now. He’s going to hand over so much money to Twitter just because he wanted to eff around and make a 420 blaze it joke.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 12, 2022, 06:57:12 AM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile