Author Topic: Fire Chris Klieman  (Read 109675 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Fire Chris Klieman
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »
Bad luck that the KU game isn't until November.  He could easily be going into that game already a dead duck.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 02, 2021, 07:22:42 PM »
 :lol: You guys are so stupid sometimes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2021, 02:17:15 AM »
Chingon knows full well that there is no plausible scenario in which Klieman is a "dead duck" going into the KU game. This thread is hilarious.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2021, 06:24:38 AM »
But if we get killed by Iowa State, then he should be in serious trouble to keep his job.

We will beat ISU, you can take that to the bank.

With Boom hurt too, Trussell is now basically a starting DE. ISU is going to be able to successfully run at him all day. Cartez Crook-Jones not panning out hurts. I get its tough when 2 of your 3 rotation DEs get hurt, but this lack of DE depth with size to hold up against the run sucks & will cost us more this year.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:32:54 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 03, 2021, 07:22:17 AM »
I assume his job is extremely safe as long as (1) Gene is here and (2) he's mediocre. There's another question of whether or not he *should* be fired.

His conference records thus far are 5-4, 4-5, and 0-2. I'm starting to get the impression that middle of the pack finishes are going to be the norm for him. And forget about ever actually winning the conference. That's not happening.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2021, 07:51:14 AM »
the path to winning the conference is gonna be a bit different with OU and Texas gone

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2021, 07:59:04 AM »
the path to winning the conference is gonna be a bit different with OU and Texas gone

Cincy is more or less as good as OU and BYU appears to be as good or better than UT has been for the last decade.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2021, 08:06:12 AM »
Kind of interesting that even in those seasons when Klieman beats OU, his record still only 5-4, 4-5.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 03, 2021, 08:09:56 AM »

Cincy is more or less as good as OU and BYU appears to be as good or better than UT has been for the last decade.

Yeah I guess I hadn't considered Cincy and BYU being peers with OU and Texas when it comes to things like playoff appearances and recruiting.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 03, 2021, 08:15:57 AM »

Yeah I guess I hadn't considered Cincy and BYU being peers with OU and Texas when it comes to things like playoff appearances and recruiting.

Same amount of playoff game victories for all four!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 03, 2021, 08:17:25 AM »
Hell you didn't even mention UCF's national title

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »
I took it easy on you and didn’t even mention the sleeping giant that is University of Houston

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »
I don't think we score if we went faster and it's probably more important to score than save time but it's a valid criticism that we aren't able to play faster  :th_twocents:
This is exactly how I feel. It’s more important maximizing our chances of scoring vs having 30-40 extra seconds on the clock. All that said, while I haven’t been paying that close of attention this year, our no huddle offense has always seemed severely lacking.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
I have no idea how you justify getting the ball down 17 with 9:49 on the clock & ending up kicking off down 10 with 4:14 left as the plan to execute.

Even if it is, it’s complete incompetence on the coaching staff that the ability to call plays & get to the line faster is so poor that the best option is to go slow. It being the right decision because you suck so bad at doing the standard play calling method for most other teams actually makes Klieman/Mess worse coaches.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 10:03:50 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
They just need to recruit better

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
I have no idea how you justify getting the ball down 17 with 9:49 on the clock & ending up kicking off down 10 with 4:14 left as the plan to execute.

Even if it is, it’s complete incompetence on the coaching staff that the ability to call plays & get to the line faster is so poor that the best option is to go slow. It being the right decision because you suck so bad at doing the standard play calling method for most other teams actually makes Klieman/Mess worse coaches.

I'm certain that if I checked the game thread from last year's game you'd be pissed about the pace when we used the same pace to come back from a 28 point defect, right?

Playing slow is the best option because we don't match talent and you need to limit possessions. It's worked for Kansas State football since 2009. Even if we did play faster I'm not aware of too many college football offenses capable of erasing a 17 point defect in less than 17 minutes. I'm sure you would have been perfectly fine if we sped up on that last drive and committed 2 penalties, whiffed a block to give up a sack because we didn't get into the right play, then had to punt after 5 plays.

Our offensive pace is what it is and 95% of the time it's to our benefit, the moral of the story is don't get down 17 points with 10:00 minutes left.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2021, 11:06:57 AM »
They just need to recruit better

I think they still have a chance long-term if they can get a transfer QB, DE & LB for next year.

I’m interested to see if they adjust & figure out how to have Matlack/FAU taking the majority of DE snaps or slide Hentz outside with Duke & Boom both hurt. If they just keep going with Trussell against ISU because he’s next on the depth chart, Hall is going to run at will. If they keep doing the same thing after 2 weeks because he’s next on the depth chart I’ll be pretty disappointed.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2021, 11:18:55 AM »

I'm certain that if I checked the game thread from last year's game you'd be pissed about the pace when we used the same pace to come back from a 28 point defect, right?

Playing slow is the best option because we don't match talent and you need to limit possessions. It's worked for Kansas State football since 2009. Even if we did play faster I'm not aware of too many college football offenses capable of erasing a 17 point defect in less than 17 minutes. I'm sure you would have been perfectly fine if we sped up on that last drive and committed 2 penalties, whiffed a block to give up a sack because we didn't get into the right play, then had to punt after 5 plays.

Our offensive pace is what it is and 95% of the time it's to our benefit, the moral of the story is don't get down 17 points with 10:00 minutes left.

I was pretty angry at a punt in Texas territory last year. (Re-read your post, the angry down 28 triggered me into the Texas game because I was angry at a punt down 28 to Texas last year. I don’t remember how I felt down 28 OU last year because I had a house full of sick family & probably didn’t have many feelings during that game besides exhaustion).

The decision to still go slow down 17 with 10 was conceding the game. I would have much rather had to punt with 8 minutes left trying to come back than plan to kickoff down 10 with 4 minutes left to make the score closer. I really don’t care about the difference between a 6 point loss conceding with 10 minutes left than a 24 point loss trying to make a comeback. Outside of one of the worst onside attempts I’ve ever seen, the last 10 minutes went about as well as it could have with the go slow plan & we still had no shot. If we’re were even halfway competent at going semi-fast we would have been kicking off down 6 with 3-4 minutes left & had a shot to get the ball back.

The deflating thing to me is the coaches have so little confidence in the ability to go fast, after being aggressive the rest of the game to win, that we must be absolute dog crap at it & won’t be able to effectively use it later when it’s needed. If we can’t use it down 17 with 10 we’ll probably fail at it down 7 with 3 minutes left in another game. I guess I can’t think of another coach that’s choose not to be competent at hurry up & everyone just goes “it’s ok, that’s not who we are.”
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 11:37:54 AM by TheHamburglar »

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 03, 2021, 11:19:34 AM »

Obviously what I’m about to say is an unknowable thing, but I feel fairly certain that had were recovered the onside kick we would have been going at a much faster pace the last 1:12 or whatever was left on the clock

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2021, 11:23:30 AM »

Obviously what I’m about to say is an unknowable thing, but I feel fairly certain that had were recovered the onside kick we would have been going at a much faster pace the last 1:12 or whatever was left on the clock

They would have. I’m angry they gave up with 10 minutes left. And no, “we were an onside kick recovery away with 1:12” does not justify it. With 10 minutes left Klieman wasn’t thinking “our best shot it to kick off with 4 minutes down 10, hold them to a FG, get a penalty to push them back on the kickoff, & return it for a TD”  then executed that plan perfectly.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »

They would have. I’m angry they gave up with 10 minutes left. And no, “we were an onside kick recovery away with 1:12” does not justify it. With 10 minutes left Klieman wasn’t thinking “our best shot it to kick off with 4 minutes down 10, hold them to a FG, get a penalty to push them back on the kickoff, & return it for a TD”  then executed that plan perfectly.

why does this seemingly upset you more than the 17 point fourth quarter deficit?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2021, 11:50:45 AM »

Fair point. My only guess is they figured maybe Oklahoma would be aggressive instead of just running it up the middle to burn clock and we could sell out on trying to jump the route on one of those screen passes they were so fond of, but that’s just me guessing. In my heart I want to believe they had some strategy other than “minimize how much we lose by”

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 03, 2021, 11:56:43 AM »

why does this seemingly upset you more than the 17 point fourth quarter deficit?

They were aggressive in every other aspect then conceded with 10 minutes left to keep the score close. That tells me the coaches have them unprepared to go quicker & won’t be able to execute it later when needed. Will everyone still say “that’s just not us” when it goes horrible in a later game down 7 with 3:00 left? We have a 6th year QB & we don’t have a system to call plays from the LOS. We were still starting substitutions with 28 on the play clock & breaking the huddle with 16.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 12:02:37 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 03, 2021, 11:59:31 AM »

They were aggressive in every other aspect then conceded with 10 minutes left to keep the score close. That tells me the coaches have them unprepared to go quicker & won’t be able to execute it later when needed. Will everyone still say “that’s just not us” when it goes horrible in a later game down 7 with 3:00 left? We have a 6th year QB we don’t have a system to all plays from the LOS. We were still starting substitutions with 28 on the play clock & breaking the huddle with 16.

the 17 point deficit still seems worse :dunno:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 03, 2021, 12:08:58 PM »
OU is better than us. I’m not happy about that either. But having a super aggressive mindset & still having so little confidence in your preparation in a mode we’ll probably need later against similarly talented teams is worse to me.

It’s not just they didn’t, it’s that it appears they can’t & everyone is just like “oh well, that’s just not us”. Being a P5 program & not being able to do something that’s football 301 level is baffling to me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 12:17:42 PM by TheHamburglar »