Author Topic: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2022, 05:52:38 PM »
If you won't tax an organization that will illegally spam text people outright lies about an abortion bill on the ballot then you won't tax anyone. 

My company does lots of good stuff and when it does, there is a charitable exemption from tax for those funds.  The catholic archdiocese in KC occupies one of the most ornate buildings in the midwest.  That money could have gone to orphans instead of spam text misinformation schemes
You know, the Catholic Church in KC does do a lot of great things for the poor.  Food pantries, shelters, clothes, support systems...all sorts of things right here in kc.  I doubt there's many bigger charitable bodies in the KC metro than the Catholic Church.

Catholics (and the Church) view the legality of abortion as a terrible thing, and I don't think there's anything at all inconsistent about allocating resources to fight against that in the only way they can*.  You can do multiple things at once.

*to the extent the Church orchestrated or was had any real role in the text thing, that's bad and worthy of criticism.

I don't think paying taxes would prevent them from doing any of that.

yes, loving this talking point that if the church had to pay taxes they would be flat broke and have no funds available to help the community
Nobody made that point or came close to making that point.

stone (and several others): the church should be taxed
dlew using the quote function referencing on the afore mentioned post: <points out all the good things the church does for the community.>

if your response to the suggestion of the church being taxed is to remind everyone of all the good things the church does for the community, then yes, dlew12, you are quite clearly making that sort of implication. That by having to pay taxes it will have some meaninful impact on their ability to provide services and outreach to the community. And yes, i realize you did not technically say those very words but this isn't an FBI sting where we have to wait for you to say the exact imcriminating words before we break through the door. I have a functioning human brain that has the capacity to infer meaning.

I realize you might be feeling a bit defensive right now as several posters ITT (as well as the super majority population of the state of KS) have rebuked your viewpoint on this matter, but let's dispatch with the semantics, shall we?
I’m not being defensive.  You misunderstood my point and then doubled down on it.

Stone said the Catholic Church should help the poor/orphans instead of buying real estate and ornate buildings and supporting certain political efforts.  I said you know what? The Catholic Church does do a lot to help the poor.  And that entities can allocate money towards multiple worthy causes (in their view) at the same time.  That’s it.

It’s a fairly common talking point (especially right now) that “why doesn’t the Church help people instead of meddling in politics?”  All I was pointing out is that the church does a rough ridin' ton to help poor people.  I think that’s something worth keeping in mind amid all the criticism.  I think that gets lost sometimes.

W/R/T taxes, Idk how many times I’ve said it ITT, but if we want to tax non profits (or some neutral segment of nonprofits) that’s fine with me but I feel like that maybe is going to have some unintended consequences.

To your point (that I didn’t make and wouldn’t make): Would a tax impact things and be detrimental to the charitable effort?  Obviously.  Would it bankrupt the Church?  Obviously not.  Would it bankrupt some other churches?  Maybe?

Somewhat tangential, but I'd be curious to know the actual legal structure of the Catholic Church, both domestically and internationally. How does it all tie together? For that matter, how do tax-exempt mega church leaders get so wealthy? Inflated administrative expenses (incl. salaries) to get to revenue neutral, and then just book deals and other products that flow through separate, taxable entities? So the exempt org is the marketing arm, and the profit arm is separate, though indistinguishable to a layperson? I've never really thought about this.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2022, 06:08:28 PM »
I assume parishes are their own distinct entities.  I doubt there’s any specific parent/sub-esque legal tie to the archdiocese, but maybe.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2022, 06:16:02 PM »

Justwin—

I assume you are not a doctor, so why do you trust your GP more than the government? How do you know they are giving you sound advice? Do you look at their qualifications?

I am not an MD, but I do have a PhD. I also have a degree in biology and went to two years of medical school. I simply don't trust the government. There aren't too many people I trust less than the government.

I assume you have only attended and worked for private institutions?

Nope. Not sure why you would assume that.

Because you hate the government so much!

So why would I not signal to employers at a lower cost?

I don't think I said I hate the government. I don't trust it. I don't think government should do a lot of what it does.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2022, 06:19:04 PM »
I assume parishes are their own distinct entities.  I doubt there’s any specific parent/sub-esque legal tie to the archdiocese, but maybe.

So the archdiocese is just a "vendor" paid for "services," and on and on up the chain?

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 05, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »
Honest question? Has Spracs ever broke a case as a “lawyer” or is this another one of those “not that type of lawyer” cases on this blog?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 05, 2022, 06:50:08 PM »
Honest question? Has Spracs ever broke a case as a “lawyer” or is this another one of those “not that type of lawyer” cases on this blog?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2022, 08:59:46 PM »

Man you just got back, no need to get back into this
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 05, 2022, 09:05:27 PM »

I'm just intellectually curious about this, Wackster. I'm not trying to "break a case" here, whatever that means. I thought you were going to keep your crap together this time?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 05, 2022, 09:28:15 PM »
Breakin’ Cases, Breakin’ Hearts: The Spracne Story

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 05, 2022, 09:29:38 PM »

I'm just intellectually curious about this, Wackster. I'm not trying to "break a case" here, whatever that means. I thought you were going to keep your crap together this time?
I just want to know how your brain tangles day to day on a rebel board. Like why are you here and stuff. Either way, go cats!

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 05, 2022, 10:53:24 PM »
Yikes
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 06, 2022, 09:05:32 AM »
Breakin’ Cases, Breakin’ Hearts: The Spracne Story

Tryin' cases, mushin' faces

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 06, 2022, 09:23:13 PM »
Lol. Weird, but enjoyable. Too long, though.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 08, 2022, 04:04:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/JessicaValenti/status/1556743359909199872?s=20&t=1YM8l508-IZCX1aBo6Ly8Q

seems like these reasonable abortion laws keep ending up with women getting threatened with jail time.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2022, 04:55:33 PM »
Can’t imagine living in Nebraska willingly
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »

lol shots fired @stevedave

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2022, 06:22:15 PM »
Yes, the child should have moved to another state. Simple!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 08, 2022, 07:43:31 PM »

Don’t you eff this up for me
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2022, 08:01:14 PM »

Don’t you eff this up for me
A person can’t even pi Steve Dave anymore.  The pussification of gE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2022, 04:12:57 PM »
Man, how desperate do you have to be to drop 120k in debt to try and only partially recount a vote lost by 18% points

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2022, 04:16:00 PM »
Man, how desperate do you have to be to drop 120k in debt to try and only partially recount a vote lost by 18% points

you have to be a proper weirdo

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2022, 04:16:21 PM »
Unsurprising after the way TFG has successfully grifted off of "stolen election" rhetoric for 2 years.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2022, 05:50:06 PM »
Unsurprising after the way TFG has successfully grifted off of "stolen election" rhetoric for 2 years.

They also paid a total shazbot! ton because they refused to terminate and turn in pedos so it checks out

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2022, 08:50:26 PM »

Did I read that the Wichita benefactor maxed out a bunch of credit cards to get them over the hump???