Author Topic: Duke: Now in favor with African-American's.  (Read 5830 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Duke: Now in favor with African-American's.
« on: March 12, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »
http://theundefeated.com/features/black-fans-of-duke-basketball-blue-devils/

I don't know what to think about this article.

Relevant, reaching, dumb  :dunno:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: Duke: Now in favor with African-American's.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
8% of all college fans are Duke fans? That's insanely high if true.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
8% of all college fans are Duke fans? That's insanely high if true.

I was late '90s, early 2000s.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »
this reminds me of the claims of soccer teams that they have hundreds of millions of "global fans" and show some weird survey about China.  Makes me think our #1 College Town and #1 Pre-Game Experience brought to you by Carl and Mary Ice is just SOP for PR flacks these days.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Our #1 college town ranking is God's honest truth, though. I've been to them all and we are hands down the best.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »
I'm not going to vouch for the stats but the grander point of this article is spot on.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »
Our #1 college town ranking is God's honest truth, though. I've been to them all and we are hands down the best.

Ever been to Metairie, LA.?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 10:37:58 PM »

Ever been to Metairie, LA.?

:ROFL:

Offline KSURFC8

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »

What it says to me, among other things, is that Duke didn't become popular with blacks until academics were no longer the/a priority for basketball players.

You can argue that academics are not an issue anywhere anymore but most of the schools like Duke; Notre Dame, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc. at least gave the impression, however false it may or may not have been, that they would, did and have not lowered their academic standards just to recruit a better athlete.

Doesn't say much about society at-large when we at least implicitly reward physical achievement over academic achievement. I would have liked to have seen some kind of background on how well all those "failed" NBA Duke alumni have done in the other careers once the NBA didn't pan our and/or how the other black players, that were not one-and-done have done after they left Duke.

To me, there's just not a whole lot to like about this article. I perpetuates the growing marginalization and segregation of our society into separate colors. More and more things are being described by a label that segregates a certain segment of society either into a specific group or excludes them from it.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill/George Orwell

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 02:16:43 PM »

What it says to me, among other things, is that Duke didn't become popular with blacks until academics were no longer the/a priority for basketball players.

You can argue that academics are not an issue anywhere anymore but most of the schools like Duke; Notre Dame, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc. at least gave the impression, however false it may or may not have been, that they would, did and have not lowered their academic standards just to recruit a better athlete.

Doesn't say much about society at-large when we at least implicitly reward physical achievement over academic achievement. I would have liked to have seen some kind of background on how well all those "failed" NBA Duke alumni have done in the other careers once the NBA didn't pan our and/or how the other black players, that were not one-and-done have done after they left Duke.

To me, there's just not a whole lot to like about this article. I perpetuates the growing marginalization and segregation of our society into separate colors. More and more things are being described by a label that segregates a certain segment of society either into a specific group or excludes them from it.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no NO! I know I bolded one paragraph but I feel this way about your entire post. The reason that Duke wasn't as embraced by Black America, they weren't embraced by anyone by the way, is because of precisely what you just did. They had an air of that they were essentially too good to do college basketball like "everyone else does." They were beating everyone over the head with how different they were, when they really weren't. Not only were they good but they acted as if they didn't want to be like everyone else and that comes with a coded message, same thing you just did. Whether you intended it or not, your post just said "black people didn't care about Duke when they cared about academics." WOOF.

Bomani Jones addressed this in one of his podcasts this week and I think he nailed it. You should definitely listen, it starts at 29:50

* Published: 3/12/19 12:12:00 PM

* Episode Download link (4 MB): https://play.podtrac.com/espn-therighttimewithbomanijones/c.espnradio.com/s:J1X3L/audio/3604529/bomanijones_2019-03-12-125929.64k.mp3

* Episode feed: The Right Time with Bomani Jones - http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/feeds/itunes/podCast?id=12563086

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »
No crap - Cory Maggette sure as crap didn’t take a pay cut to go from Myron Piggie’s 76ers when he went to Duke.  When K has had elite bagmen like Quin & Capel he got elite recruits.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »
I haven't heard about a college athlete being ineligible due to grades in about 30 years, does it not happen or is that like a privacy law or something
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »
I haven't heard about a college athlete being ineligible due to grades in about 30 years, does it not happen or is that like a privacy law or something

It still happens every year but it's not as common because athletic departments pour a lot more money into academic support. And yes, there are privacy laws regarding releasing the info. The reporting happens at semester so if you see a football player missing a bowl game or a basketball player either starting or stopping their season in January it's likely academics.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:10:08 PM »
KU under Larry Brown and Roy Williams brought the Dean Smith “Carolina Way” Bullshit that walked hand in hand with Coach K and Duke vintage 80’s and early 90’s.  Larry Brown brought  a little more urban Philly kid heat, but it’s still cut of the same cloth. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
I'm not a believer that schools with tougher admissions standards are more difficult or better academically, anyway. They graduate pretty much everyone.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »
I'm not a believer that schools with tougher admissions standards are more difficult or better academically, anyway. They graduate pretty much everyone.
You can't be serious.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 10:19:19 AM »
You can't be serious.

I don't think Donald Trump would have been able to graduate from Kansas State University.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
That's your case study? Also, I guarantee he could have. All he would have to do was not try to be an engineer or a vet.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »
Tougher admissions standards is intended to limit the number of failures/dropouts and doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of education.   :th_twocents:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 10:58:19 AM »
That's definitely a part of it. However, I know several K-State journalism grads that would have not lasted long at Syracuse. I think they both play hand in hand.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »
I hear people talk about places like Stanford . . . hard to get in, but once in, keep paying that tuition, don't eff up and you're gettin that diploma because they need to justify their admission standards with a stout graduation rate.

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »
Local African-Americans aren't all that thrilled with them:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/us/duke-durham-light-rail-chapel-hill.html?emc=edit_th_190319&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=208921680319

And Kevin Primus, a former manager of the Duke men’s basketball team, said the rejection of the light-rail plan justified the school’s reputation among some African-Americans like him, who still occasionally refer to it as “the plantation.”

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 11:50:17 AM »
I hear people talk about places like Stanford . . . hard to get in, but once in, keep paying that tuition, don't eff up and you're gettin that diploma because they need to justify their admission standards with a stout graduation rate.

Yeah, Stanford gives no Fs.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 12:29:18 PM »
Says two people who never went to Stanford. Case closed!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »
Says two people who never went to Stanford. Case closed!

It's their official policy to give no Fs, wacky.