Author Topic: Has this championship changed how you either think or act regarding KSU MBB?  (Read 20289 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I like oscar and I'll like him more if he can prove that he can do this kind of thing more than once every 4-6 years.    That starts with recruiting, but by the sounds of it, the current class is above average for oscar, so we'll see.

What's "this kind of thing?" Winning the conference? That's an incredibly high standard given since he's gotten to K-State he has the same amount of conference titles as Coach K, Boeheim, and Izzo COMBINED.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If I’m being honest I’d prefer to have someone with a higher upside like Kelvin Sampson but I want us to cheat our asses off so I lean that way.   I don’t care if a coach does things “the right way” but he somehow got it done so kudos to him.  Hopefully we can get one more elite season out of him and send him off into the sunset.

I don't know about that higher upside. I liked Kelvin for here when I thought oscar was going to get fired, but in 26 years of coaching at Washington State, Oklahoma, Indiana, and Houston he has two conference championships, one final four and one elite 8. That's pretty thin for that many years at major programs. I think you'd be real hard pressed to find a thinner resume for someone with that many years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Next year IS going to be rough. Just how rough is going to depend on how well Sneed accepts the mantle that this is "his team" and how much incremental improvement everyone else provides. That said, I think 18 wins is the ceiling. I guess there's always the possibility that Murphy or Gordon comes in and dominates right off the bat, but those types of performances are pretty rare for a oscar recruit.

Nah, it can't be Sneed's team, he isn't that type of player. If he's clearly the best player on the team, it's going to be a very long season. Carti, SNY, and Mike have to be the best players they'll always have the ball. I'm glad you mentioned Gordon, if he plays a big role we might be scary. Look at this list, it's amazing.

CHICAGO SUN-TIMES PLAYERS OF THE YEAR
2019—DaJuan Gordon, Curie
2018—Talen Horton-Tucker, Simeon
2017—Alonzo Verge, Thornton
2016—Charlie Moore, Morgan Park
2015—Jalen Brunson, Stevenson
2014—Cliff Alexander, Curie
2013—Jahlil Okafor, Young
2012—Jabari Parker, Simeon
2011—Wayne Blackshear, Morgan Park
2010—Jereme Richmond, Waukegan
2009—Jereme Richmond, Waukegan
2008—Kevin Dillard, Homewood-Flossmoor
2007—Derrick Rose, Simeon
2006—Jon Scheyer, Glenbrook North
2005—DeAndre Thomas, Westinghouse
2004–Calvin Brock, Simeon
2003—Shannon Brown, Proviso East
2002—Sean Dockery, Julian
2001—Eddy Curry, Thornwood
2000—Cedrick Banks, Westinghouse
1999—Leon Smith, King
1998—Quentin Richardson, Young
1997—Melvin Ely, Thornton
1996—Ronnie Fields, Farragut
1995—Kevin Garnett, Farragut
1994—Jerry Gee, St. Martin de Porres
1993—Rashard Griffith, King
1992—Chris Collins, Glenbrook North
1991—Sherell Ford, Proviso East
1990—Jamie Brandon, King
1989—Deon Thomas, Simeon
1988—Eric Anderson, de Sales
1987—Marcus Liberty, King
1986—Nick Anderson, Simeon
1985—Michael Ingram, Proviso West
1984—Hersey Hawkins, Westinghouse
1983—Len Bertolini, St. Patrick
1982—Bernard Jackson, Phillips
1981—Walter Downing, Providence
1980—Glenn Rivers, Proviso East
1979—Isiah Thomas, St. Joseph
1978—Mark Aguirre, Westinghouse
1977—Eddie Johnson, Westinghouse
1976—Glen Grunwald, East Leyden
1975—Pete Boesen, Maine South
1974—Audie Matthews, Bloom
1973—Mark Vitali, St. Charles
1972—Quinn Buckner, Thornridge
1971—Quinn Buckner, Thornridge
1970—Lloyd Batts, Thornton
1969—Jim Brewer, Proviso East
1968—Jeff Hickman, Lockport
1967—Rick Howat, Downers Grove
1966—Rich Bradshaw, Marshall
1965—Terry Hurley, Steinmetz
1964—Eugene Ford, Crane
1963—Joe Allen, Carver
1962—Cazzie Russell, Carver
1961—Bob Caress, Thornton
1960—George Wilson, Marshall

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What if we get bounced on the first or second round?

Sweet 16 or bust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't care and it won't matter either way as far as public opinion goes. People happy with oscar and the program have already been properly satiated. People unhappy with him will complain if we lose by 2 to a Zion Williamson led Duke team in the elite 8, just like some bitched last year.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
next year i'll be happy if we get close to the ncaa, and the year after as well. don't think cartier and mcguirl can take us that far, we need multiple guys to step up, and not sure anyone currently on the roster can. snw might be decent. i've given up on the bigs.

our 4 freshman look good though, nice core for the future, though still a little underwhelming. hopefully another good run and oscar can start closing the super studs.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The 19-20 cats will basically be a JYC team. Trice, X, Carti will demolish the offensive glass.  I don’t know if SNW can be even a poor mans angel/denis but that would be amazing.

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The 19-20 cats will basically be a JYC team. Trice, X, Carti will demolish the offensive glass.  I don’t know if SNW can be even a poor mans angel/denis but that would be amazing.

I don't think so, I'm going to go with a rich man's Clent Stewart as his ceiling.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Honestly I’ll take that.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TBT and I were jamming to Pullen highlight videos last night on plug.  I think that says it perfectly my feeling for this team.  Excited enough to get on here Saturday night and celebrate a bball thing but still not over the jake era.

These things aren't one and the same. I love The Flush, yet Jake is my favorite cat O.A.T. I can acknowledge this and still observe that Mitch Richmond is probably the best player in the history of this program.

100% agree with all of this.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Next year's team is going to be incredibly dependent upon McGuirl and Carti.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It will be interesting to see if next year's team makes the tournament. I'm looking forward to it!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Think X is going to come back?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Next year's team is going to be incredibly dependent upon McGuirl and Carti.

100% agree with all of this.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is definitely the deepest backcourt K-State has or will have in my lifetime. It is incredible.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This is definitely the deepest backcourt K-State has or will have in my lifetime. It is incredible.

Most shallow frontcourt tho :frown:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

If you had to pick, you'd pick our problems every single time.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Why wouldn't he? He would be nuts to pass up being "the guy" on next years team.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Why wouldn't he? He would be nuts to pass up being "the guy" on next years team.

he definitely won't be "the guy" on ext year's team, but I doubt he leaves.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

I think he has the tools to be an elite player and a leader with the 3 seniors gone.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think he has the tools to be an elite player and a leader with the 3 seniors gone.

would take!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not me bro, I've already expressed excitement about the guards, but it's going to be much harder to mask that gigantic weakness next year. Unfortunately, I think the issues with the front court will have the most negative effect on Sneed. And I don't think he has the on court tools to be a leader. At his position, he has to be dominant to be a difference maker. Many of his career advanced stats like usage rate, per, and win shares are similar to Jamar Samuels. As much as I will always love Jamar, he was always a complimentary piece.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
I feel more validated than ever for going against the grain here and thinking oscar was a good hire.  :cool:
Same

:cheers:

Offline KSURFC8

• Fan
    • View Profile
:Chirp:
I'll be satisfied (which shouldn't mean anything to anyone else) when we've stopped being the "surprise" team of the year, picked to finish middle-of-the-pack in the Big XII and go into a year with the actual expectation as being either the team to beat or one of the teams to beat.

That goes for football as well.

To that end, I don't care who the coach is, what he looks like or what his/her demeanor is (almost). If they can get us past the conference championship once a generation is good enough for me/us mentality, then I like them.

Quess you are saying that you are satisfied with our basketball program since thats exactly what we did this year.  Good for you.

Try reading it again but slowly this time.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill/George Orwell

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

so would oscar.  as in, oscar has his pick and has picked our problems, ever-y single time.

to oscar, big men are like the rice at chipotle.  kinda have to have them in your burrito but it would be ok if they were out of rice.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile