Author Topic: Some proposed rule changes  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Some proposed rule changes
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:39 AM »
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-college-football-overtime-0130-story.html

Some talk of changing OT -- 2 point conversions from the outset? Eliminating kickers entirely in OT? Offenses starting 10 to 15 yards further from the end zone?

Also, Bowlsby quoted in relation to proposed change in targeting rule. Sounds like it'll fail, because the officials aren't supportive, but they are considering (again) a two tiered penalty. Less severe targeting would not result in ejection, more severe targeting would result in ejection.  I've seen some questionable ejections for targeting the last few seasons, this two tiered system seems to make sense. The committee meets in Indy at the end of the month.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Some proposed rule changes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
College OT is fine and exciting enough.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
I'm all for a two-tiered targeting penalty.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 04:02:51 PM »
i want a minimum of 4 tiers

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 04:12:27 PM »
I want rules to be as black and white as possible.  I'm going to get tired of fanbases whining about how a tiered rule was applied in their instance.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »
I do not like college OT.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »
I'm all for a two-tiered targeting penalty.

All subjectivity in sports rules should be kept to an absolute minimum.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
Agree the two tier system would cause more problems than it fixes. Also seems to undermine the whole concept of eliminating dangerous hits.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 10:43:17 AM »

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »
i like the current system but would like to see the first OT for each team start at the 50.

then move in 10 yds for every subsequent OT capping at the 20.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »
I don't think they need to change OT to keep it shorter due to the 2nd 7 OT game in the last 10 years or so.  Legislating freak occurrences is dumb.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 03:53:34 PM »
Yeah and also 7 OT games are awesome.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 04:38:10 PM »
Just run 2-point plays in the first overtime  :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 05:18:29 PM »
I really like the current overtime rule, but the over emphasis on the two point conversion is really stupid, imagine losing in the 3rd overtime because of two lousy yards. In a sport where winning and losing a single game means so much, this as a tiebreaker is unconscionable.

There were only three multiple overtime games last year and only one of those went beyond two overtimes. Two of those multiple games were all-time classics and no one wanted them to just "be done with." The NCAA can't get out of it's own way.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 06:42:32 PM »
I really like the current overtime rule, but the over emphasis on the two point conversion is really stupid, imagine losing in the 3rd overtime because of two lousy yards. In a sport where winning and losing a single game means so much, this as a tiebreaker is unconscionable.

There were only three multiple overtime games last year and only one of those went beyond two overtimes. Two of those multiple games were all-time classics and no one wanted them to just "be done with." The NCAA can't get out of it's own way.

25 lousy yards is also stupid

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 09:03:15 PM »

I don't think 25 is a gimme for a lot of college teams but I wouldn't be mad if they move back to the 35 or 40. That's really what they should be doing instead of the football version of a one-on-one layup to determine who wins a game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 09:38:24 PM »

I don't think 25 is a gimme for a lot of college teams but I wouldn't be mad if they move back to the 35 or 40. That's really what they should be doing instead of the football version of a one-on-one layup to determine who wins a game.
I'd be ok with punting being a factor

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »

This is totally fine with me. I really love CFB's OT rules, so much better than the NFLs (and that's after the much needed fix to who scores first). Moving it back definitely would keep the game focused on the competitive side more. I like rules that force you to perform more.

I though didn't mind the having to go for 2 after 3 OTs. Thinking back for example K-State vs A&M 4OT game, those 2 pt plays in the 3 OT made it more exciting as a fan. I don't think it was that much of a detriment, you still after all had to score a TD to even have the chance to score a 2 pt conversion. Also, at least the 2 pt conversion is at least a football play, not the most lay-uppy play for an extra point. There is more of a earning factor to it.

That being said, if you just go to alternating 2 pt plays then it is junky, it becomes more luck and less skill, and I don't like that.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 08:31:09 AM »
It’s a fix for something that wasn’t broken in the name of shorter games, like baseball’s crappy extra innings rule
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »
It’s a fix for something that wasn’t broken in the name of shorter games, like baseball’s crappy extra innings rule

eggggggggggg-ctly

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 04:56:25 AM »
The only thing they need to get rid of is the extra point.  Go for 2 after scoring a TD is the only option, since it is harder and more fun.  This would shorten the game.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »
The best way to shorten games would be to eliminate instant replay entirely or cap reviews to 30 seconds. If they can't figure it out in 30 seconds, the call on the field stands.

This should honestly apply to all sports

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 04:19:42 AM »
Picking defense first ot wins 55% of the time. I guess taking out kickers entirely makes it 50/50? I think that would be better, I don’t like how the coin flip affects the outcome so much.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 09:01:21 AM »
Yes, completely remove field goals from overtime, both college and pro. Extra points are whatever.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite