Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1000097 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #11350 on: June 07, 2021, 09:52:15 AM »
Yeah Arrival is legit.  It's one of those movies where the visuals, score, and acting all combine to tell the story really well but also gives you a certain "feeling" that goes beyond the story.  You
I really enjoyed it. I think it was the last movie I watched in a movie theater.
arrival, i watched it friday and saturday.  about an hour each night.
seemed pretty good.  a bit sad.  hey, connect the dots for me- was she married to jeremy renner prior to the aliens or did that event/arrival rewrite history? was her entire life a dream?  this movie confused me a little bitty bit.
No.  The "flashbacks" you see throughout the movie involving her daughter/husband are actually flash forwards.  Learning the alien language gives you the power to see/comprehend the future.  That's how the aliens knew they'd need humanity's help some day and why they made the trip to earth to share the gift/weapon/tool of their circle future language.

There's a lot of open ended questions that remain surrounding the impact of that "gift" -- especially w/r/t what she knows her future daughter's fate is. 

I don't know.  Neat movie.  I really loved it.

i thought it was a pretty good movie.  it was weird to me that it was humans who figured out the complex language vs the advanced life form who couldn't figure out ours considering the complexity of each and ours being so simplistic

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11351 on: June 07, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
Yeah Arrival is legit.  It's one of those movies where the visuals, score, and acting all combine to tell the story really well but also gives you a certain "feeling" that goes beyond the story.  You
I really enjoyed it. I think it was the last movie I watched in a movie theater.
arrival, i watched it friday and saturday.  about an hour each night.
seemed pretty good.  a bit sad.  hey, connect the dots for me- was she married to jeremy renner prior to the aliens or did that event/arrival rewrite history? was her entire life a dream?  this movie confused me a little bitty bit.
No.  The "flashbacks" you see throughout the movie involving her daughter/husband are actually flash forwards.  Learning the alien language gives you the power to see/comprehend the future.  That's how the aliens knew they'd need humanity's help some day and why they made the trip to earth to share the gift/weapon/tool of their circle future language.

There's a lot of open ended questions that remain surrounding the impact of that "gift" -- especially w/r/t what she knows her future daughter's fate is. 

I don't know.  Neat movie.  I really loved it.

i thought it was a pretty good movie.  it was weird to me that it was humans who figured out the complex language vs the advanced life form who couldn't figure out ours considering the complexity of each and ours being so simplistic
I don't think the aliens were all that "smart," just way different in some aspects.  I can't remember if this was in the movie (or the short story, which I didn't read but did read about), but somewhere, they pointed out that the aliens were really good at calculus, but couldn't really figure out algebra.  Something to do with the idea that their basic worldview has a really hard time with "linear" stuff. 

Maybe our sentence structures present the same kind of problem for them.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11352 on: June 07, 2021, 12:08:09 PM »
Yeah. I think they were made to think a certain way and couldn’t fully comprehend us. But they knew they could teach us how to think like them.

I love that movie and it absolutely crushed me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11353 on: June 07, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
well they were definitely smart enough to invent a language that allowed them to move through time and to build spacecrafts that looked like giant rabbit turds and travel across the galaxy safely so i'm really not sure why you would try to demean them in that way but you do you i guess.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #11354 on: June 07, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »
well they were definitely smart enough to invent a language that allowed them to move through time and to build spacecrafts that looked like giant rabbit turds and travel across the galaxy safely so i'm really not sure why you would try to demean them in that way but you do you i guess.

I haven't seen this movie and have no idea what you guys are talking about, but this made be chuckle a lot.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11355 on: June 07, 2021, 03:43:59 PM »
Maybe the aliens inherited all of their spacefaring technology from an ancient civilization that went extinct from a supervirus. They were smart enough to figure out how to fly the rabbit turd through space, but they still have no idea how to make a new rabbit turd because they actually are dumbasses.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: June 07, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
rabbit turds are spherical

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: June 07, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
maybe a black bean then

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: June 07, 2021, 09:41:51 PM »
Alien rohrschach tests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: June 09, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »
maybe a black bean then

The craft were completely flat on one side. It looked like a Magic Mouse®, only black.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11360 on: June 09, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
maybe a black bean then

The craft were completely flat on one side. It looked like a Magic Mouse®, only black.
so even more support bolstering my assertion of the aliens advancements over humanity

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11361 on: June 09, 2021, 02:33:25 PM »
Yeah, a good rule of thumb in judging the relative intelligence of teams in intergalactic encounters is that the visiting team is the smarter team.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: June 15, 2021, 07:57:27 PM »
i rewatched smokey and the bandit last weekend, what a great movie it is

jackie gleason is awesome in it.  if this movie came out this weekend, it would gross over one billion dollars on the first weekend

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: June 15, 2021, 10:34:01 PM »
Watched The Croods 2 with the family. Sucked.  And I'm not picky and almost enjoy whatever new kids movie the major studios put out.  So then I went to rotten tomatoes to check the reviews and The Croods 2 has higher ratings than The Croods!  WTF?  Anyone else watched The Croods 2 and thought it sucked but enjoyed The Croods? 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: June 16, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »
Watched The Croods 2 with the family. Sucked.  And I'm not picky and almost enjoy whatever new kids movie the major studios put out.  So then I went to rotten tomatoes to check the reviews and The Croods 2 has higher ratings than The Croods!  WTF?  Anyone else watched The Croods 2 and thought it sucked but enjoyed The Croods?
I’m sorry you couldn’t handle all the romance and slightly weird swinger aspects to this animated family movie.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11365 on: June 16, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »
started Dune the other night. pretty rough so far but i am committed to finishing this rough rider. i was trying to eat pizza when the fat guy with boils (?) all over his entire head killed another guy by rubbing his boils all over the other guy's face to death.

lots of leonardo dicaprio pointing at the screen meme when i recognize TLB actors. i don't think i've seen Sting yet

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11366 on: June 16, 2021, 11:42:48 AM »
started Dune the other night. pretty rough so far but i am committed to finishing this rough rider. i was trying to eat pizza when the fat guy with boils (?) all over his entire head killed another guy by rubbing his boils all over the other guy's face to death.

lots of leonardo dicaprio pointing at the screen meme when i recognize TLB actors. i don't think i've seen Sting yet
The movie is good

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: June 16, 2021, 11:46:10 AM »

The movie is good
Agreed, this movie is a banger.  The Baron also removed the dudes heart plug if I remember correctly.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11368 on: June 16, 2021, 12:11:45 PM »
Fanny and Alexander was odd.  I don't think I paid close enough attention to really understand all of the supernatural stuff that seemed to happen.  But it was still very beautiful in it's own strange way.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: June 16, 2021, 03:46:22 PM »

The movie is good
Agreed, this movie is a banger.  The Baron also removed the dudes heart plug if I remember correctly.

You guys are aware that the new version drops October 1st, right? Jason Momoa and Zendaya are in it. The lead is Timothee Chalamet whose work I'm not very familiar with. I remembered him having a very small part in Hostiles after looking at his IMDB.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11370 on: June 16, 2021, 04:50:34 PM »
Very aware.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11371 on: June 16, 2021, 04:54:31 PM »
peter rabbit 2. not as good as the first peter rabbit but a fun enough watch for the family.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: June 16, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »

The movie is good

You guys are aware that the new version drops October 1st, right? Jason Momoa and Zendaya are in it. The lead is Timothee Chalamet whose work I'm not very familiar with. I remembered him having a very small part in Hostiles after looking at his IMDB.

timothee chalamet is always being discussed on twitter for some reason, but he was the main character in the netflix movie The King, which was p good. coincidentally that movie was the first step towards me realizing robert pattinson actually kind of rules.
and yes i am a p big fan of everything i've seen from Denis Villeneuve so i'm sure the new Dune will be great

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11373 on: June 16, 2021, 05:13:01 PM »
Zola coming out June 30 by A24 studios looks like it will be great. I read the tweet thread it was based on.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: June 16, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »
omg i remember that! it was discussed on gE.c somewhere