Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1013878 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #11325 on: May 24, 2021, 06:12:22 PM »
The Learning Tree
Written/Directed by Gordon Parks

This movie is not good, very corny. I turned it off. I had high hopes but the first 15 minutes is so bad I couldn’t continue.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: May 31, 2021, 09:47:03 AM »
Tenet - people fight over a machine that makes you walk backwards and your lungs not work.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11327 on: May 31, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
Alex Cross. Freebie on Showtime in the hotel room. Decent action. Entertained me this morning.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: May 31, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »
Watched Nomandland last night. Highly recommend.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: May 31, 2021, 08:56:04 PM »
It Started As A Joke - A documentary about the Eugene Mirman comedy festival. It intertwines how he started a comedy festival as joke with the final festival after 10 years with his wife’s terminal cancer. If you like stand up I highly recommend
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #11330 on: May 31, 2021, 09:38:16 PM »
House of Games (Criterion)

A movie about a woman who gets caught up with a group of con men. It has some great character actors and it is a great script.  I really enjoyed it.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: June 01, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »

I watched it Sunday night as well.  Also highly recommend.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: June 02, 2021, 01:23:09 PM »

Is it super depressing?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: June 02, 2021, 01:31:54 PM »

Is it super depressing?
Normally, when I watch movies, I don't like to watch depressing things  because I use TV and movies to help me decompress. The first 45 minutes felt pretty grim but that feeling lifted toward the end of the movie. Not to give any huge spoilers but there is a scene toward the end of the movie where Fern is watching waves pound the rugged Pacific coastline and me and Mrs SSOC looked each other in the eye and were like "remember that time when we watched waves crash on the pacific coast together and we knew that as long as we were alive together everything would be okay" and all the sad from the first part of the movie was gone.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: June 02, 2021, 03:04:04 PM »
Yeah I think the part about when she found a support group of like-minded people kinda made you feel like, "oh, well yeah everything is gonna be okay" and then the movie really began to hit its stride.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: June 03, 2021, 07:12:57 AM »
I watched Arrival the other night and I think it’s my favorite movie I’ve seen in years.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: June 03, 2021, 01:03:25 PM »
Yeah Arrival is legit.  It's one of those movies where the visuals, score, and acting all combine to tell the story really well but also gives you a certain "feeling" that goes beyond the story.  You know?

DARKEST HOUR - I really liked it.  I can see how some would call it 'slow', but I love history and Gary Oldman BECOMES Winston Churchill.  VERY GOOD.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: June 03, 2021, 01:48:23 PM »

DARKEST HOUR - I really liked it.  I can see how some would call it 'slow', but I love history and Gary Oldman BECOMES Winston Churchill.  VERY GOOD.

Completely agree.  I am a Churchill fan (I have been to his museum in London!) and thought the movie was great.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: June 03, 2021, 06:15:32 PM »
Darkest hour is great. Same director as atonement iirc
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: June 03, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
Speaking of Churchill, I thought John Lithgow did a great job in the series "The Crown" as Churchill

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11340 on: June 03, 2021, 10:30:43 PM »
Do we talk about the bo burnham special here or in the stand up comedy thread or in documentaries. Any I think what he put together was pretty well done. A lot of time and effort went into that sob. Pretty talented guy.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11341 on: June 04, 2021, 08:55:22 AM »
Do we talk about the bo burnham special here or in the stand up comedy thread or in documentaries. Any I think what he put together was pretty well done. A lot of time and effort went into that sob. Pretty talented guy.
I have lots to say about this. It's corny to say, but I've kind of grown up with Bo. I'm about to go full hipster here, but I remember watching his videos on BigBoys.com (which later turned into break.com, which itself, is now dead).  This was pre-youtube.  I think I've been watching Bo do stuff for about 15 years.

I was texting with Stevesie about it the other night.  Stevesie loved the new special. I HATED it.  Though I will say, from a technical standpoint, it's a complete triumph.  To do all that by himself in one room is absolutely insane.  He's unbelievably talented.

But the content  -- what a bummer.  Gone are the days when Bo was making silly (but very sophisticated) raps littered with layered wordplay and shakespeare references that required a lot of listens to fully appreciate.  That is what I was in it for, man!  Now he's a Mr. Serious Pants doing his best Carlin impression, talking exclusively about how bummed out he is and how awful the world is. That's all OK and fairly red meat for comedians, but there's GOTTA be some punch lines in there too! The part that made me really decide "I don't think I really like Bo Burnham anymore" is him repeating something to the effect of "all my stupid friends are having stupid children" -- well that may be true, but guess what, dingus, I bet your stupid friends aren't all cynical and neurotic and miserable "tortured geniuses" like you. 

I know he doesn't define himself as a "comic" anymore (which is pretty self-indulgent in its own right) but man, he's not kidding.  The special was almost totally devoid of any punchlines at all.  For an hour and a half, I could probably count the number of times I remotely chuckled on one hand.

Maybe this would've resonated with me more if I watched it last spring when pandemic malaise was in full force, but sitting through an hour and a half of that nightmare was not fun.  It felt mostly depressing.  Just couldn't relate to almost all of it.  All that said, the reception seems to be fairly positive, both critically and by his fans (at least on his subreddit), so it's clear he's doing good work, it's just not for me anymore, which is a bummer.

I will say, the internet song ("can i interest you in everything all of the time?") was my favorite. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:03:08 AM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: June 04, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »
^ i watched the first 15 minutes before i was asked to find something else. in those 15 minutes it confirmed my belief that he's brilliant, but i also didn't find it as LOL worthy as he has been before.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: June 04, 2021, 11:47:01 AM »
Yeah Arrival is legit.  It's one of those movies where the visuals, score, and acting all combine to tell the story really well but also gives you a certain "feeling" that goes beyond the story.  You know?

I really enjoyed it. I think it was the last movie I watched in a movie theater.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11344 on: June 05, 2021, 12:35:32 AM »
I have lots to say about this. It's corny to say, but I've kind of grown up with Bo. I'm about to go full hipster here, but I remember watching his videos on BigBoys.com (which later turned into break.com, which itself, is now dead).  This was pre-youtube.  I think I've been watching Bo do stuff for about 15 years.

I was texting with Stevesie about it the other night.  Stevesie loved the new special. I HATED it.  Though I will say, from a technical standpoint, it's a complete triumph.  To do all that by himself in one room is absolutely insane.  He's unbelievably talented.

But the content  -- what a bummer.  Gone are the days when Bo was making silly (but very sophisticated) raps littered with layered wordplay and shakespeare references that required a lot of listens to fully appreciate.  That is what I was in it for, man!  Now he's a Mr. Serious Pants doing his best Carlin impression, talking exclusively about how bummed out he is and how awful the world is. That's all OK and fairly red meat for comedians, but there's GOTTA be some punch lines in there too! The part that made me really decide "I don't think I really like Bo Burnham anymore" is him repeating something to the effect of "all my stupid friends are having stupid children" -- well that may be true, but guess what, dingus, I bet your stupid friends aren't all cynical and neurotic and miserable "tortured geniuses" like you. 

I know he doesn't define himself as a "comic" anymore (which is pretty self-indulgent in its own right) but man, he's not kidding.  The special was almost totally devoid of any punchlines at all.  For an hour and a half, I could probably count the number of times I remotely chuckled on one hand.

Maybe this would've resonated with me more if I watched it last spring when pandemic malaise was in full force, but sitting through an hour and a half of that nightmare was not fun.  It felt mostly depressing.  Just couldn't relate to almost all of it.  All that said, the reception seems to be fairly positive, both critically and by his fans (at least on his subreddit), so it's clear he's doing good work, it's just not for me anymore, which is a bummer.

I will say, the internet song ("can i interest you in everything all of the time?") was my favorite.

That%u2019s all a great response and take. Quick question though/devils advocate- do you make the same jokes and do the silly stuff you did with the same thoughts you had when you were 20 or whatever when you first started watching him?  I mean he%u2019s definitely a different person then he was then and I%u2019m sure you are too.

The problem is and I think he touched on this, is that you want him to be the same monkey doing the same monkey dances and he just can%u2019t do that anymore for you. He touched on it in his last special. Don%u2019t blame you for wanting it though and I%u2019m not saying anyone should like the new special. I%u2019m still not 100% sure I did.

It definitely wasn%u2019t funny but I don%u2019t think he wanted it to be. It%u2019s kind of a continuation from what he%u2019s done in terms of specials, but this one was definitely the biggest step. Watch them on Netflix in order and this doesn%u2019t seem that out of place especially with his mental health issues and the fact that people couldn%u2019t perform in front of live audiences for a year when he actually wanted to again. He was ready to get in front of live audiences again and then covid brought this. So yeah this was him in covid and yeah it would have resonated more if you had somehow been able to watch it during covid/7 months ago.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 12:51:58 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11345 on: June 05, 2021, 02:39:40 AM »
I thought Inside was great, although I can certainly appreciate that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. During the past year and a half, I could relate to a lot of the themes. And if you can't, well, congrats, and I'm jealous of you.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: June 06, 2021, 07:31:36 PM »

That%u2019s all a great response and take. Quick question though/devils advocate- do you make the same jokes and do the silly stuff you did with the same thoughts you had when you were 20 or whatever when you first started watching him?  I mean he%u2019s definitely a different person then he was then and I%u2019m sure you are too.

The problem is and I think he touched on this, is that you want him to be the same monkey doing the same monkey dances and he just can%u2019t do that anymore for you. He touched on it in his last special. Don%u2019t blame you for wanting it though and I%u2019m not saying anyone should like the new special. I%u2019m still not 100% sure I did.

It definitely wasn%u2019t funny but I don%u2019t think he wanted it to be. It%u2019s kind of a continuation from what he%u2019s done in terms of specials, but this one was definitely the biggest step. Watch them on Netflix in order and this doesn%u2019t seem that out of place especially with his mental health issues and the fact that people couldn%u2019t perform in front of live audiences for a year when he actually wanted to again. He was ready to get in front of live audiences again and then covid brought this. So yeah this was him in covid and yeah it would have resonated more if you had somehow been able to watch it during covid/7 months ago.
Oh yeah.  I don't like, begrudge him for it or anything.  He's gone in a different direction, which is fine.  It's just not a direction I really care for all that much.  Which I guess, personally, kind of stinks, because I used to really really like him.

Welcome to the Internet is probably the closest thing to what I like.

His whole act just seems so bitter now.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11347 on: June 06, 2021, 09:33:58 PM »
Yeah Arrival is legit.  It's one of those movies where the visuals, score, and acting all combine to tell the story really well but also gives you a certain "feeling" that goes beyond the story.  You
I really enjoyed it. I think it was the last movie I watched in a movie theater.
arrival, i watched it friday and saturday.  about an hour each night.
seemed pretty good.  a bit sad.  hey, connect the dots for me- was she married to jeremy renner prior to the aliens or did that event/arrival rewrite history? was her entire life a dream?  this movie confused me a little bitty bit.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: June 06, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
ww84 awful. i fell asleep for some unknown duration but even when i woke up i could tell that it had been awful and was still awful

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11349 on: June 06, 2021, 11:06:26 PM »
Yeah Arrival is legit.  It's one of those movies where the visuals, score, and acting all combine to tell the story really well but also gives you a certain "feeling" that goes beyond the story.  You
arrival, i watched it friday and saturday.  about an hour each night.
seemed pretty good.  a bit sad.  hey, connect the dots for me- was she married to jeremy renner prior to the aliens or did that event/arrival rewrite history? was her entire life a dream?  this movie confused me a little bitty bit.
No.  The "flashbacks" you see throughout the movie involving her daughter/husband are actually flash forwards.  Learning the alien language gives you the power to see/comprehend the future.  That's how the aliens knew they'd need humanity's help some day and why they made the trip to earth to share the gift/weapon/tool of their circle future language.

There's a lot of open ended questions that remain surrounding the impact of that "gift" -- especially w/r/t what she knows her future daughter's fate is. 

I don't know.  Neat movie.  I really loved it.