Author Topic: KU Basketball is Hurting  (Read 161147 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KU Basketball is Hurting
« Reply #725 on: April 06, 2021, 12:20:24 PM »
The Paul Pierce stuff is hilarious and awesome. I hate that I like him now.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 06, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »
Did this narrow the candidate pool?

KU also made Goff agree in his contract that, in the last 15 years, he had not:

• been accused of sexual harassment or sexual assault;

• retaliated against any student, co-worker or supervisor for making a sexual harassment or sexual assault claim;

• engaged in any form of sexual harassment or sexual assault;

• been found guilty of sexual assault of sexual harassment;

• entered into any settlement agreement related to sexual assault or harassment allegations.

Former KU football coach Les Miles mutually parted ways with the school last month after previous allegations of sexual harassment surfaced from his time as LSU’s coach a decade ago.

Another clause in Goff’s contract also states he must consult with the chancellor before giving any athletic department contract that lasts more than one year or has a value of more than $500,000.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 06, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »
I mean, beyond the low pay and being excluded from hoops?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 06, 2021, 04:38:10 PM »
Did this narrow the candidate pool?

KU also made Goff agree in his contract that, in the last 15 years, he had not:

• been accused of sexual harassment or sexual assault;

• retaliated against any student, co-worker or supervisor for making a sexual harassment or sexual assault claim;

• engaged in any form of sexual harassment or sexual assault;

• been found guilty of sexual assault of sexual harassment;

• entered into any settlement agreement related to sexual assault or harassment allegations.

Former KU football coach Les Miles mutually parted ways with the school last month after previous allegations of sexual harassment surfaced from his time as LSU’s coach a decade ago.

Another clause in Goff’s contract also states he must consult with the chancellor before giving any athletic department contract that lasts more than one year or has a value of more than $500,000.

The real question is what did Goff do in 2005 or before?  :surprised:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 07, 2021, 12:30:43 AM »
https://twitter.com/chasenscott/status/1379568068351950848?s=21

I guess we know why KT Turner was available. I know KU's recruitment hasn't been what they've grown used to the past few years, but I still think it's been very good considering the circumstances. This is gonna sting.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 07, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
If this happens it’s because Self wants him to move on.

I also don't think he'd be going there to assume the same position unless Self was all for it. I'm sure he'd try to keep him otherwise. So if there's truth to this rumor and he does make the move, imo Self must've been okay with it.

I think if Self really wanted to keep him, he would have. If it was about money, all he'd have to do is ask the BMDs to help out and I have no doubt they would have. The resources are there for Self and the men's basketball program imo.

I think Texas just took what it wanted.
Not unless Self was good with it, imo.

Self GUARANTEED "let" this happen.

People close to KU aren't shocked by the Jerrance Howard move. Was always likely on his way out and had been eyeing Texas during the season.

I find 0% likelihood that Self lets Snacks move on if he wanted him on the staff. Money is not an objective. KU would find the money to match or exceed any offer and it wouldn't be that hard. Basketball is the lifeblood and identity of the University. Texas basketball is an interesting diversion after football season and before Spring practice. Their new arena is 40% SMALLER than their existing arena (16.6K vs 10K). That doesn't scream basketball passion. It screams "something to do in the winter".

Phog gonna phog

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 07, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »
 :lol:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 07, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
Those posts were all before the official announcement. THESE are after it was official.

I doubt Self and KU let him leave to go to Texas if they wanted to keep him.

Yeah I won’t miss him he was a middle of the road assistant whose recruiting didn’t really live up to the hype. Some new blood on the staff will be welcome.

Not sure why he'd prefer Texas over Kansas with the coach he played for.

Lots of ways to interpret this:

1. Just part of Self's planned changes. Knows he has someone better on the way, helped Snacks find a landing place.

2. Snacks knows the hammer is about to drop and wanted out quickly.

3. Texas offered more money and we didn't want to match.

More #1, some #3 - but if Self wanted to keep him we would have

his contract was up and KU chose not to renew it.

I felt like the staff was getting a little stale, even though I didn't anticipate Snacks, sometimes I wonder how good of a coach he was anyways.

I'm betting he gets a pay raise and doubtful that KU wouldn't match unless Self was fine with him leaving. More to this story I'm sure....

Starts getting a little salty as the news sets in...

Good news don't let the door hit you on the way out. Need better than him at a program like ours

Pretty much a downgrade. Blueblood to a place where people don't care about basketball

I see absolutely no way in which this sucks. In fact, I'll say Self needs to shake up his coaching staff.

It’s time for some new blood on the staff. Howard was kind of overhyped as this great recruiter and was kind of underwhelming. Didn’t seem like he was a great assistant, as I thought Self took him in the first place because he was a former player under him and wanted continuity.

Howard was supposed to be instrumental in us landing Chicago area talent and all we got out of that was Markese Jacobs and a suspension of Howard for smoking dope

I can understand Howard wanting to leave for more money but to go to a rival within the conference is pretty much just a Dick move!

I guess I was never super impressed with him. He came in and was touted as a top assistant/great recruiter and was pretty underwhelming

If you've ever been to a KU practice, Snacks was the guy that stood under the basket and threw the balls back to the shooters. Other than that, I never saw him do much of anything. He was the liaison of sorts for the staff.
Exactly. That and jumping around on the sidelines. No loss.

If Self thought Howard leaving would significantly hurt our standing with recruits, I doubt Howard would be leaving.

Honest question with all we’ve learn with the Nike and Adidas money funnel does an assistant coach being a “good recruiter” mean jack anymore?

You want a hot take? Here’s your hot take. Snacks is a total Nike sneaker head, and he took this job so he can get better access to swoosh kicks.

I don’t think beard is going to be any better at texas then he was at TT.

Uh... so UT will be in the championship game a few years from now?

"Texas Athletics is Zimbabwe. Print money and throw it at your problems, only to see the homeless use it as fuel for their shanty fires."

Well, he's not wrong on that front.

There's more, but I have to get back to work.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 07, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »
holy crap

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 07, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »
It's really kind of amazing (but not surprising) to see Phogistan still tied to the extremely old school seating capacity dogma.  A model that has long since sailed in both the collegiate and professional facilities design/consulting/marketing.

I can assure you that if KU Basketball gets blasted by the NCAA and certain things unfold.  You'll be able to fire howitzers full of birdshot into parts of AFH and not hit anybody during a game.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:07:09 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 07, 2021, 10:13:42 AM »
I'm embarrassed for them after reading all of that. Gah.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 07, 2021, 10:20:50 AM »
Quote from: phog spin team
They're building a brand new $350 million arena that only holds 10k. That doesn't scream basketball passion to me.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 07, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »
It's really kind of amazing (but not surprising) to see Phogistan still tied to the extremely old school seating capacity dogma.  A model that has long since sailed in both the collegiate and professional facilities design/consulting/marketing.

I can assure you that if KU Basketball gets blasted by the NCAA and certain things unfold.  You'll be able to fire howitzers full of birdshot into parts of AFH and not hit anybody during a game.

:lol:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 07, 2021, 11:00:19 AM »

This.  Guarantee that if Texas gets to winning that smaller arena will make more than any in Big 12 with the limited seats leading to higher prices

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 07, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »
The new arena has a giant luxary club level, they will probably get more money from that than all 16k at the piss barn
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 07, 2021, 12:52:43 PM »
So it's clear from those posts that they are convinced that they won't have NCAA sanctions. Instead of insisting that they didn't need him, never wanted him, shouldn't they just lash out at the NCAA for making this a thing?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 07, 2021, 02:40:22 PM »
I’m uncomfortable with how similar this is getting to the post Tom Osborne era of NU football.  :frown:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 07, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »
I'm not sure what psychology term is used for people with egos so sensitive they become blind to the obvious, but I wish I did so I could use it now and look smart - ish.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 07, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
I took for granted KU being good at basketball, now it’s gone.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 07, 2021, 08:06:08 PM »
I'm not sure what psychology term is used for people with egos so sensitive they become blind to the obvious, but I wish I did so I could use it now and look smart - ish.

The term cognitive dissonance comes to mind but there’s probably a more precise term

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 08, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »

This.  Guarantee that if Texas gets to winning that smaller arena will make more than any in Big 12 with the limited seats leading to higher prices

Yes.

Nothing says we're not committed to basketball like an expenditure on a single facility that will cost more money than the entirety of KU's investment in athletics facilities . . . ever.

If my calculations are correct, KU is a distant last in total facilities investment in the Big 12 over the last 15 years.   I'm not even going to count Rock Chalk Park becauses KU athletics didn't pay for it, and they're engaged in an embarrassing and  :lol: lease arrangement on that cookie cutter gener-o any suburbia USA facility.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 08, 2021, 11:25:21 AM »
How much of Texas's new arena is actually being paid for by the school or AD tho? I thought the city was chipping in a bunch, as it will also be used as a public event venue.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 08, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »
How much of Texas's new arena is actually being paid for by the school or AD tho? I thought the city was chipping in a bunch, as it will also be used as a public event venue.

I believe originally a developer/property group/investment group (honestly not sure how to describe it) was paying for it/building it and would get all profits for a certain amount of time, then there would be profit sharing with UT after.

But then, the Moody Foundation donated like half the cost to UT to chip in for the Arena and I believe a new basketball practice facility... so I'm not really sure how any of it works now.

I do know it's everything I would want in a facility at K-State (we probably wouldn't even need the upper deck option to expand seating for events.)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 08, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »
Yeah, the original renderings looked awesome. Not sure if the design has changed since. Definitely an upgrade over the Drum.