Author Topic: k-state hoops is so ordinary  (Read 17801 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: k-state hoops is so ordinary
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »
I can speak for a number of people in saying that we will take it.

you'll take it today. and so will a majority of the fanbase. but next year, when the team is languishing near the middle or bottom of the standings, the fanbase will want oscar fired. down years are unacceptable in college sports. "we deserve better..." they will say, even though the teams that will pass k-state in the standings next year - oklahoma, west virginia - have fanbases currently saying the exact same thing.

i give oscar a solid B for his tenure. his biggest drawback for me is his lacking upside, because great programs will make the tournament in down years and oscar's probably won't. but on the whole, he is fine. he is basically the big 12's version of fran mccaffery and iowa. the only difference is that mccaffery - despite an up-and-down tenure that has seen less upside than oscar's - never finds himself on the hot seat whereas it has seemed like oscar has lived on it. i think the reason is obvious: iowa's fanbase views mccaffery as super competent and basketball savvy; wheras k-state fans view oscar as a stooge.

This is very true. If we have a down year next year and miss the tournament completely, oscar's seat will be very hot.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
Lamenting kenpom rankings or worrying about next year's record is not how I'm choosing to enjoy the ride from the driver's seat. But it's good to know that the option is there!

:driving:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
I mean there is a fundamental piece of me that likes the cycle of firing + hiring coaches.

There's a million dollar video game idea there.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
I care less about the general trajectory now that we might have chance at being good at football again. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
I care less about the general trajectory now that we might have chance at being good at football again.

I believe you the social media coverage of the football has a positive trajectory

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »
I can speak for a number of people in saying that we will take it.

you'll take it today. and so will a majority of the fanbase. but next year, when the team is languishing near the middle or bottom of the standings, the fanbase will want oscar fired. down years are unacceptable in college sports. "we deserve better..." they will say, even though the teams that will pass k-state in the standings next year - oklahoma, west virginia - have fanbases currently saying the exact same thing.

i give oscar a solid B for his tenure. his biggest drawback for me is his lacking upside, because great programs will make the tournament in down years and oscar's probably won't. but on the whole, he is fine. he is basically the big 12's version of fran mccaffery and iowa. the only difference is that mccaffery - despite an up-and-down tenure that has seen less upside than oscar's - never finds himself on the hot seat whereas it has seemed like oscar has lived on it. i think the reason is obvious: iowa's fanbase views mccaffery as super competent and basketball savvy; wheras k-state fans view oscar as a stooge.

This is very true. If we have a down year next year and miss the tournament completely, oscar's seat will be very hot.

LOL, no it won't. They'll be some pissed people, no doubt, not enough to come close to heating up any seat, this ain't 2014.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
Agree with MIR on this one.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2019, 07:22:49 PM »
EVERYONE knows there will be a HUUUUUUUGE dropoff. Anything over 9th in the league is gravy.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »
EVERYONE knows there will be a HUUUUUUUGE dropoff. Anything over 9th in the league is gravy.

Maybe

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
Why is this acceptable? Rebuilding is for pussies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »

lol. Chingon come get your mans.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 08:59:52 PM »

lol. Chingon come get your mans.
Why settle for 2nd when 9th is available?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »

That doesn't matter. Watching a 9th place team still sucks, and recent success will make it suck all the more.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2019, 09:52:46 AM »
I still think we'll be a bubble team next year. lol at him being on the hot seat next year. Especially if he finishes this thing off in the next two games for at least a share.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
I still think we'll be a bubble team next year. lol at him being on the hot seat next year. Especially if he finishes this thing off in the next two games for at least a share.

Yea I think we will be on the bubble.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »
oscar is guaranteed 3 more years barring an absolute catastrophe.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
I can't take seriously anyone who thinks that oscar has ever been or ever will be on the hot seat here. It's just an absolute fairy tale.

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »
I feel like if we botch the four year shuffle described by jrake, and then miss the tourney another year after that there will be a hot seat. so basically if we miss the tourney 5 times in a tow the seat will probably be pretty warm.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »
i think we are going to be better next year than we are this year.  why?  because our team is evolving.  sure we lose 3 very important seniors but what happens is that the next guy in line stands up and gets his shot at glory.  when you get your shot at glory, you have to take it.  oscar will have our entire team taking shots at glory next season.  it will be amazing.   imagine all of the glory we will have.  it will be incredible.  the glory will lead us to even more glory.  why?  glory is a self-compounding element of basketball. 

oscar's seat will be hot, to be sure, but it will because so many AD's will be staring at it wanting to cornhole him with fist loads of american greenbacks.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »
we will put michigancats hypothesis that you don’t need good bigs to be good at college basketball to the ultimate test next year.  Also please consider SNW has a God’s Gift tat on his bicep.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »
great points 'clams.  if marquette makes another run at him, i'm not sure he'll be able to say no.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
If 'sclams is correct, oscar's pocketbook gon be swole af

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
he is basically the big 12's version of fran mccaffery and iowa. the only difference is that mccaffery - despite an up-and-down tenure that has seen less upside than oscar's - never finds himself on the hot seat whereas it has seemed like oscar has lived on it. i think the reason is obvious: iowa's fanbase views mccaffery as super competent and basketball savvy; wheras k-state fans view oscar as a stooge.

McCaffery was a successful mid major coach at Siena replacing Licklitter who was trying to burn Iowa to the ground.

oscar was just fired and replacing a wildly popular coach who most feel was forced out.

4 of Fran's 8 season he was #70 or worse in kenpom. oscar was that bad once.

Fran had 3 NCAAs in his first 8 years compared to oscar's 4 in 6 years.

Other than that, they are nearly identical.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »
also Weber did not yell "You cheating m-----f-----! You're a f---ing disgrace!" at an official after his last game

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2019, 02:13:05 PM »
he is basically the big 12's version of fran mccaffery and iowa. the only difference is that mccaffery - despite an up-and-down tenure that has seen less upside than oscar's - never finds himself on the hot seat whereas it has seemed like oscar has lived on it. i think the reason is obvious: iowa's fanbase views mccaffery as super competent and basketball savvy; wheras k-state fans view oscar as a stooge.

McCaffery was a successful mid major coach at Siena replacing Licklitter who was trying to burn Iowa to the ground.

oscar was just fired and replacing a wildly popular coach who most feel was forced out.

4 of Fran's 8 season he was #70 or worse in kenpom. oscar was that bad once.

Fran had 3 NCAAs in his first 8 years compared to oscar's 4 in 6 years.

Other than that, they are nearly identical.

Iowa has never been higher than a 3 way the for third in the conference under Fran, oscar is about to win his second conference championship. K-State fans are much more comfortable with oscar than Iowa fans are with Fran, probably because oscar doesn't make a habit of calling referees cheating motherfuckers after he loses games.