Author Topic: Bill Tribute Thread For Sentimental Qatz To Share Fun Memzys (No gE'ing Allowed)  (Read 31611 times)

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
We should list the coaches Bill almost certainly got fired.  I'll start with:

Larry Smith
Frank Solich

Paul Rhoads

Rich Neuheisel maybe.

Larry Smith - Mizzou

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
I LOVE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Larry Smith
Frank Solich

Paul Rhoads

Rich Neuheisel maybe.

Larry Smith - Mizzou

Every KU coach since Bill came to Manhattan.

Truth is two years ago would have been the perfect year to retire. Nine wins, bowl victory against aTm. And we all would have had some misgivings about the ability of someone else to carry on.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Larry Smith
Frank Solich

Paul Rhoads

Rich Neuheisel maybe.

Larry Smith - Mizzou

Doh!  Woocus Scoopsalot indeed.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
i really wanted him to retire but now that it's official, i feel sad.

yep this

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
i won't go into how i'm connected to Snyder but he showed up to my grandfather's funeral in Topeka when he absolutely did not have to. won't ever forget that.

Offline goCats101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Attended a coach's radio show in 2005, the week of the season opener vs FIU (?). My mom's work friend took me, was my first and only time in Vanier. Bill noticed I was a new face in the crowd, called me up during a commercial break and made small-talk. I was a freshman at MHS at the time.

Bill was attending a basketball tournament (for a grandson?) that my younger brother was also playing at. Was being friendly to a bunch of the kids there who wanted to meet him. My brother was maybe 8 yrs old at the time and when he met Bill straight-up asked him what happened with Ell at the Fiesta Bowl (genuinely unaware of the sensitivity). Don't remember the exact response but Bill took in stride.

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
i really wanted him to retire but now that it's official, i feel sad.

I feel the same. I wanted him gone, actually for the past 2-3 years. But I can also remember over the first few years he was here, and how he would get on the press's ass when they weren't respecting the improvement, or what he viewed as slights. He really did have to fight for what the program became, and defended it at all times. And he could have left, and he didn't. And I love him for that. Because it was what K-State needed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
First week of April 1997, student alumni board has family weekend the same weekend as the old open house. Anyway me and my dad, OU grad are on Tuttle Creek Blvd., headed to the mall. We stopped at the light on Tuttle Creek and Leavenworth, look to our right and there's Bill sitting in his white Caddie, just completely cracking up at whatever he's hearing on the radio. I start pointing and freaking out showing my dad Bill is next to us. Bill looks over flashes a big smile then drives off when the light changes. This was great for me because 1997 Bill was a complete monster in the media, he wasn't beloved then, he and we were hated. It was a humanizing moment to this dude who was larger than life.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
 :love: https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=26848.0

nobody told me photobucket was back!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Oh sweet Christ I miss chunkles posting on here

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KOUGAR GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE AND START MAKING GIFS AGAIN

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Shed tears at least 5 times watching “The Foundation” Miracle in Manhattan pt.1 today.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Shed tears at least 5 times watching “The Foundation” Miracle in Manhattan pt.1 today.

Same.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Three memories.

1. 1991 or 1993.  KSU comes back and beats KU, in large part because the local media's golden-boy, Glenn Mason opted against multiple field goal chip shots and went for it on 4th down.  KSU invariably held, and eked out a close win.  In the post-game press conference, the media was not pleased (they consider Snyder a fraud) and asked him if he was "embarrassed" about how his team won.  Bill just went after them and defended his players.  The media, of course went after him for the next week about how he didn't know how to win with class, but it sure solidified for me that Bill was the guy I wanted in my corner.

2.  2009.  KSU was absolutely destroyed at TTU, 66-14.  They played aTm the next game in Manhattan.  aTm was also on a roll, with a powerful offense.  I went to the game expecting the 'Cats to be destroyed.  A ton of seats were empty, and what were taken were often by people I had never seen as season-ticket holders had given away or sold tickets.  Really damn cold on top of it.  Then KSU just absolutely murdered aTm 62-14, with KSU coasting early in the 3rd quarter.  Absolute blast.

3.  2011.  The multi-overtime game vs. aTm.  The back and forth was awesome and nerve-wracking.  The final win was exhiliarating.  It felt like the demons of 1998 had finally be exorcised.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I just watched the Miracle in Manhattan. Man early Bill was such a fierce competitor with a huge chip on his shoulder. That carried over through all those 1.0 teams and how they played. Sam's account of Bill going after the press was in there and it was fun to watch.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
I just watched the Miracle in Manhattan. Man early Bill was such a fierce competitor with a huge chip on his shoulder. That carried over through all those 1.0 teams and how they played. Sam's account of Bill going after the press was in there and it was fun to watch.

It’s a really nice refresher of how fiery he was back in the day. Really enjoyed it.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
I sent LHC Bill Snyder an invitation to my wedding (in MHK, reception at alumni center) and he didn't come but he sent back a signed picture that we had sent him of the two of us PAK'ing at BSFS. the note may have been diagonal signed. I'll have to dig it up and check.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I was a checker at Dillons during Prince’s first year. At some point one random afternoon a kind looking elderly man in a suit came through my line to buy a big pack of Ozarka water bottles, paying cash (as old people tend to do). I zipped through the transaction cause gotta keep my stats up and I don’t mess around, but as he was leaving someone shouted something like, “hey coach how’s it going?” And I was like holy crap that’s LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder.

I can’t believe he went on to coach like 10 more years after that.

This short story is part of my collection of very brief and otherwise meaningless encounters with people that most other people would probably recognize.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
During August practice in 02 or 03, players were complaining about how hot it was.  Bill addressed the concerns by showing up to practice the next day in a parka. (this was 3rd party info, but I just accept it as 100% true because lol Bill)

I scribbled 'Cross the Line...Grab the Ring' on a football for Fan Appreciation day in 1994(?) and got like 50 autographs on it.  When I got to Bill, he took it from me, stared at it...looked me in the eyes and said "Do you think we can do it?"It was really intense and I can't remember if I was able to speak.

Bill & Darrel Harbert came to my classroom to talk about doing well in school, listening to your teachers, reading, etc.  He asked if there were any KU fans, and ~5 kids raised their hand, Bill didn't skip a beat  looked at my teacher and said "You've got a lot of work cut out for you." 

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
i was young but definitely remember his "us against the world" mindset in the 90's. we recruited jucos, scheduled soft non-con's, and everyone hated us for it. but all i remember is how fun it was to beat the crap out of teams and getting to watch the young up and comer future studs, because we were VERY deep with talent.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
Somewhere in the 91-92 time frame Coach talked to a group of us students at a dinner near campus.  Never once mention football or the team just about the decisions and dedication that we made during our time at Kstate would shape the rest of our lives.  He was very genuine and his words helped convince me to quit screwing around and take care of my business.
Had a similar encounter with Dr. Wefald and he came across as an arrogant prick that seemed to be talking down to the crowd.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Took some youngsters to speak with Bill. 

One young man had long hair.

Bill deadpans that it is refreshing to see a young lady playing football. 

Kid is crushed.

Bill "Well if you don't want people thing you are a lady cut your hair."

:gocho: