Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 534835 times)

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
bears are fast...

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #7276 on: May 02, 2020, 10:46:03 PM »
I don't believe Joe. It would be great if the Dems would find someone else.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: May 02, 2020, 10:48:36 PM »
It'd be equally great if my dog turned into the dragon from The NeverEnding Story, both have an equal likelihood.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: May 02, 2020, 11:02:10 PM »
It'd be equally great if my dog turned into the dragon from The NeverEnding Story, both have an equal likelihood.

I'd vote for your dragon dog for sure

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: May 03, 2020, 01:21:07 AM »

i wouldn't frame it as i believe biden, but that there's not much to recommend believing reade, either.  it's certainly possible that the only woman biden raped in his life is a crazy chick who changes her story on a near nightly basis.  but it's not super likely.

my heuristic in these cases remains - men who do this don't do it once and stop.  easiest way to get at what happened is to wait and see if a 2nd, 3rd and 4th emerge.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: May 03, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »

i wouldn't frame it as i believe biden, but that there's not much to recommend believing reade, either.  it's certainly possible that the only woman biden raped in his life is a crazy chick who changes her story on a near nightly basis.  but it's not super likely.

my heuristic in these cases remains - men who do this don't do it once and stop.  easiest way to get at what happened is to wait and see if a 2nd, 3rd and 4th emerge.

I agree with all of this. I will say it's awfully convenient now for dems to consider other factors outside of the actual accusation. It's impressive how quickly they were willing to put #timesup and #metoo in their place.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: May 03, 2020, 01:01:07 PM »
I forgot the DNC (the most corrupt political movement on the planet) still had DB, a guy who  is more slimy than a slug running things.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1257005105234227201?s=21

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: May 03, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »
What exactly is she claiming? I thought it was sexual harassment not rape. There is ample evidence Joe says all kinds of inappropriate crap but nothing suggesting rape.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: May 03, 2020, 01:59:38 PM »
What exactly is she claiming? I thought it was sexual harassment not rape. There is ample evidence Joe says all kinds of inappropriate crap but nothing suggesting rape.

The accusation has changed, the latest version of it has thin digitally penetrating her, which is rape.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #7284 on: May 03, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »

I agree with all of this. I will say it's awfully convenient now for dems to consider other factors outside of the actual accusation. It's impressive how quickly they were willing to put #timesup and #metoo in their place.
It’s good to have a periodic reminder that no party owns a moral high ground. Pubs are taking one on the chin for having to fall behind Trump’s horrendous crap, but Dems can and will do the same for their nominee.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: May 03, 2020, 04:34:58 PM »
Yes, agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: May 03, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
I’m all in favor of ditching Joe, I just don’t think it will happen.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: May 03, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »

there's no mechanism for it to happen.  if additional accusers do appear and it becomes obvious that biden is a serious sexual harasser (i say serious because it is already obvious that he habitually does/did some less overtly sexual crap that some women felt crossed lines but that the electorate deemed unimportant) it will be somewhere between damaging and disastrous to the democrats electoral chances.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: May 03, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »

there's no mechanism for it to happen.  if additional accusers do appear and it becomes obvious that biden is a serious sexual harasser (i say serious because it is already obvious that he habitually does/did some less overtly sexual crap that some women felt crossed lines but that the electorate deemed unimportant) it will be somewhere between damaging and disastrous to the democrats electoral chances.

They would go in to the convention with Joe Biden with a majority of delegates or no one with a majority of delegates, if Joe Biden withdraws from the race, then his delegates would potentially have a big enough bloc to get someone on the first ballot but on the second ballot it would open up anyways. If Biden hits the magic number and you don’t think they could do anything about it, well they will control all the rules committees too.

If you think it just won’t happen because it isn’t likely they would go to all that trouble, that is different and I agree, but they absolutely have the ability to do it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: May 03, 2020, 05:49:32 PM »

They would go in to the convention with Joe Biden with a majority of delegates or no one with a majority of delegates, if Joe Biden withdraws from the race, then his delegates would potentially have a big enough bloc to get someone on the first ballot but on the second ballot it would open up anyways. If Biden hits the magic number and you don’t think they could do anything about it, well they will control all the rules committees too.

If you think it just won’t happen because it isn’t likely they would go to all that trouble, that is different and I agree, but they absolutely have the ability to do it.

I echo this and I'll also add that the will of the electorate has never before mattered to democrats when it comes to nonconsensual contact issues.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7290 on: May 03, 2020, 06:39:07 PM »

i say no mechanism in the sense that there is no way to transfer the nomination to another person in a way that transfers the legitimacy that having won the nomination by election does.  a new nominee chosen by a small selectorate would not enjoy that same perception and it would be more difficult, perhaps impossible, to unify the party behind that person.

the closest thing to an accepted transfer would be to transfer the nomination to a vp nominee, but because biden hasn't selected one prior to the emergence of this issue, even that would viewed as tainted.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: May 03, 2020, 06:48:26 PM »
for the record, if additional serious and incontrovertible accusations do surface before biden is nominated, i do think the democrats would replace him and the electoral consequence would be somewhere between damaging and disastrous.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: May 03, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
for the record, if additional serious and incontrovertible accusations do surface before biden is nominated, i do think the democrats would replace him and the electoral consequence would be somewhere between damaging and disastrous.

Your qualification is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. Does any Trump accusation of a sexual assault meet this standard?

As for the legitimacy question, I kind of doubt that will be much of a concern in a scenario where they are actually looking at doing this.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: May 03, 2020, 08:12:51 PM »
Your qualification is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. Does any Trump accusation of a sexual assault meet this standard?

it is, yes.

replacing the nominee is a consequential matter and i don't think the party would undertake it unless it was felt that not doing so would likely have worse consequences than doing so.

i think that the entire portfolio of the trump accusations would trigger this action.  one of them on it's own would not.  the franken accusations would not.  the kavanaugh accusations would probably not.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: May 03, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »

As for the legitimacy question, I kind of doubt that will be much of a concern in a scenario where they are actually looking at doing this.

I think I see the point you're getting at. So let me say, it's different for Democrats.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: May 03, 2020, 08:42:10 PM »
That’s true enough, but as long is we are in total speculative hypothetical land it is pretty easy to tweak the parameters enough to get the result you are arguing for.

I bet a non-trivial amount of money that joe Biden is better than 81% to be the nominee, it went down and I bet more, so I’m very unconvinced that there is anything standing in his way, and since we are adding in variables, the complete and total lack of any campaign and the likely extreme focus on coronavirus for the foreseeable future is a pretty big argument in my favor. But Biden was a shitty candidate and his very public and repeated sexual harassment of women was a completely foreseeable problem.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: May 03, 2020, 08:47:49 PM »
I bet a non-trivial amount of money that joe Biden is better than 81% to be the nominee, it went down and I bet more, so I’m very unconvinced that there is anything standing in his way.

i mean, yeah.  i've made the same bet.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: May 03, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
But Biden was a shitty candidate and his very public and repeated sexual harassment of women was a completely foreseeable problem.

Had already been reported before the Reade accusation was made public, again.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: May 09, 2020, 07:12:27 PM »
My gawd, that old man is literally going to have the worst of the absolute worst controlling him every step of the way, and there's no way Jill is going to be able to stop them.

So look out poor 3rd world countries, drones and F-15's are headed your way by this time next year.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: May 09, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »
My gawd, that old man is literally going to have the worst of the absolute worst controlling him every step of the way, and there's no way Jill is going to be able to stop them.

So look out poor 3rd world countries, drones and F-15's are headed your way by this time next year.
So are you saying you think Biden is going to win?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f