Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 547435 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #7050 on: April 09, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
Am I incorrect in assuming most of the Bernie supporters here will not be voting for Biden this fall?

If not, how many of you are going to vote Trump?  I think nationally this number will be pretty large.

Most people here live in states where it doesn't matter. I won't vote for Trump but won't vote for Joe, either. I'd vote for Joe if I lived in Ohio or Wisconsin.

I don't think there's a large number of Bernie voters that would vote Trump. At least I think it would be lower than the white suburbanite Biden voters going Trump if Bernie had won. Wasn't that the whole reason everyone supported Biden over Bernie? (I mean other than being wanting poor people to die. ;-))

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: April 09, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »
In 2016, around 10% of Sanders primary voters voted for Trump.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: April 09, 2020, 08:38:07 AM »
I don't think the most vocal Sanders supporters are representative. I think like 80-90% of Sanders voters voted for Clinton, though I didn't see that in the quick search I just did.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: April 09, 2020, 08:41:59 AM »
yeah, i think the overwhelming majority of sanders voters will vote for biden.  it'd be well onto the 2nd page of crap i'd worry about if i was biden.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #7054 on: April 09, 2020, 08:42:55 AM »

Am I incorrect in assuming most of the Bernie supporters here will not be voting for Biden this fall?

If not, how many of you are going to vote Trump?  I think nationally this number will be pretty large.

Most people here live in states where it doesn't matter. I won't vote for Trump but won't vote for Joe, either. I'd vote for Joe if I lived in Ohio or Wisconsin.

I don't think there's a large number of Bernie voters that would vote Trump. At least I think it would be lower than the white suburbanite Biden voters going Trump if Bernie had won. Wasn't that the whole reason everyone supported Biden over Bernie? (I mean other than being wanting poor people to die. ;-))

I always perceived Bernie supporters as very similar to Trump supporters when it comes to the goal of burning down the system. Of course the Bernie guys want Bernie holding the torch rather than Trump, but in the end they want it burn none the less.

If there was ranked voting I would have guessed Bernie supporters have it:

Bernie
Trump
Independent
Any other Dem

While Biden supporters had it:

Biden
Dem other than Bernie
Independent
Trump
Bernie

I could be wrong though.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:54 AM »
Here are some 2016 numbers.

Voted for Hillary Clinton: 74.3%
Voted for Donald Trump: 12.0
Voted for Jill Stein: 4.5
Voted for Gary Johnson: 3.2

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-was-helped-by-the-neverhillary-vote-what-does-that-mean-for-his-chances-now/

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: April 09, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »
Biden will do better than Hillary did with Burnie Bros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »

I always perceived Bernie supporters as very similar to Trump supporters when it comes to the goal of burning down the system. Of course the Bernie guys want Bernie holding the torch rather than Trump, but in the end they want it burn none the less.

If there was ranked voting I would have guessed Bernie supporters have it:

Bernie
Trump
Independent
Any other Dem

While Biden supporters had it:

Biden
Dem other than Bernie
Independent
Trump
Bernie

I could be wrong though.

A lot of that is very wrong. We don't have numbers on what Biden voters would do if Bernie won but I don't think it would have been significantly different from the Bernie voter behavior.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/04/08/as-bernie-sanders-drops-presidential-bid-most-supporters-ready-to-back-biden/

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:20 AM »
The part I genuinely find hilarious is that when Bernie was the front runner all the arguments were about electability and how many moderates were going to stay away and that Bernie couldn’t win and how he needed to reach out to moderates. Then as soon as Bernie gets out in April!, on a dime everyone turns to “Bernie supporters suck crap and they will never vote for Biden because they are bad people”

Maybe not the best strategy!

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #7059 on: April 09, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »
The main reason I say Bernie supporters aren't going to vote for Biden is because that's what they've been telling me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: April 09, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »
Biden will do better than Hillary did with Burnie Bros

I mean Biden already took a lot of Bernie voters back by not being Hillary

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: April 09, 2020, 09:04:49 AM »
Clinton lost Missouri by 18 points. If Joe is within 5 for polling, I'll vote for him, otherwise it's probably going to be Tom again.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: April 09, 2020, 09:05:56 AM »
The main reason I say Bernie supporters aren't going to vote for Biden is because that's what they've been telling me.

1. the fraction saying that is loud but small.
2. many of them will change their minds.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:31 AM »
Are they telling you they'll vote for Trump? Because I voted for Bernie and will definitely not vote for Trump. Not sure how that skews your polling data

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: April 09, 2020, 09:07:15 AM »

I haven't heard anyone say this even on Twitter

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #7065 on: April 09, 2020, 09:08:41 AM »

1. Yes, but loud is very important these days and they are also actively trying to convince other people not to vote.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: April 09, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »

you got receipts chings???

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: April 09, 2020, 09:13:21 AM »
The problem is Biden probably needs outreach to Bernie voters, loudly questioning whether Bernie voters are going to sabotage Biden is probably harmful to these efforts.  But all of the donut crap heads, Hillary staffers, DNC people, mainstream pundits all love the Bernie is going to eff up Joe, so it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. You have Hillary herself arguing Bernie didn’t lift a finger to help her in the general which is just probably false, but the narrative is very helpful if the goal is finding excuses for why Trump best Hillary and has a decent chance to beat Joe.  It is a very bad narrative for Bernie voter outreach.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: April 09, 2020, 09:22:39 AM »
Are there rumblings of VPs Biden is looking at?

Harris is the favorite with Klo waiting in the wings.  I've seen Duckworth mentioned as well as the Michigan Gov that Trump likes to go after.

This kind of surprises me, would have thought he'd go for a candidate that didn't run in the primary so people wouldn't have a potentially strong negative opinion of them. (Idk about Harris in particular maybe that's incorrect for her)

I think you're spot on with Harris.  It's just what reporters are writing, I don't think they necessarily have any knowledge.  We know it's a woman and I would imagine a young and energetic one would be helpful. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: April 09, 2020, 09:25:16 AM »
I think a governor leaving their state in the middle of a pandemic would be a dumb move politically. I think Harris is a likely pick and particularly because she dropped out so early doesn’t have a ton of negatives from the campaign, Abrams possible, but I don’t really know what his team is thinking. I really like the idea of nominating a whole shadow cabinet especially when you aren’t really going to be campaigning much in the traditional sense, but I think they will continue to mostly stay out of the way until the news changes because they don’t see much upside to Joe on camera with some pretty obvious and big downside risk.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #7070 on: April 09, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »

https://twitter.com/hashtag/neverbiden

But I admit this is a lot of noise and likey artificially aided.  I guess I hope it's just initial disappointment and anger.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:07 AM »
I think a governor leaving their state in the middle of a pandemic would be a dumb move politically. I think Harris is a likely pick and particularly because she dropped out so early doesn’t have a ton of negatives from the campaign, Abrams possible, but I don’t really know what his team is thinking. I really like the idea of nominating a whole shadow cabinet especially when you aren’t really going to be campaigning much in the traditional sense, but I think they will continue to mostly stay out of the way until the news changes because they don’t see much upside to Joe on camera with some pretty obvious and big downside risk.

Agreed on the Michigan Gov.  We would have to feel like the virus was pretty well under control before she could start campaigning.

I think a lot of people got on Harris for harsh sentencing.  A Californian doesn't help and I think they will want to focus on the vulnerable states pretty heavily.  I think Harris is the favorite right now but I would still overwhelmingly take the field.  I like Abrams, but don't know how many southern states are in play regardless.  I probably put too much emphasis on the geography though.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #7072 on: April 09, 2020, 09:33:17 AM »

https://twitter.com/hashtag/neverbiden

But I admit this is a lot of noise and likey artificially aided.  I guess I hope it's just initial disappointment and anger.
Just a quick look and it’s all Russian troll/bots.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:37:45 AM by steve dave »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: April 09, 2020, 09:38:07 AM »
As bad (or botty) as those folks are, I still don't see anyone saying they'll vote for Trump? Chings is saying Bernie voters' second choice is Trump

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: April 09, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »
Bernie voters see the Democrats and Democrat primary as rigged and completely unfair, which it is. They won't be voting for Biden as an establishment puppet for the DNC which screwed him AGAIN. It will be Trump, some protest vote, or won't vote at all.