Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 545751 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #4225 on: January 02, 2020, 02:25:49 PM »
To be clear, I don’t think Yang is a moderate
:adios:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #4226 on: January 02, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
I don’t think any of the Dem candidates are moderate other than Biden. Some are more moderate than others tho.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: January 02, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »
I don’t think any of the Dem candidates are moderate other than Biden. Some are more moderate than others tho.

All of the candidates but Sanders and Warren are pretty moderate, imo.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: January 02, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »
They mainly seem moderate because of Sanders and Warren. Bernie did a lot to pull the Democratic platform to the left in 2016.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: January 02, 2020, 02:58:36 PM »
They mainly seem moderate because of Sanders and Warren. Bernie did a lot to pull the Democratic platform to the left in 2016.

Maybe they just look left of moderate because the right is holding kids in detention centers and calling klansmen good people.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:57:40 PM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: January 02, 2020, 03:35:29 PM »
You’re not wrong

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: January 02, 2020, 04:52:55 PM »
a cabinet of actual smart people 

Elections should be set up in a way where when it gets down to a few, they have to commit to who their team will be.  That would then allow them to be honest about what they don't know crap about but be able to point to who their person is for that stuff.

The British do this, they call it a "shadow cabinet" and they limit the election to like 6 weeks. We need a parliamentary system and their election rules.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: January 02, 2020, 05:00:54 PM »

Elections should be set up in a way where when it gets down to a few, they have to commit to who their team will be.  That would then allow them to be honest about what they don't know crap about but be able to point to who their person is for that stuff.

The British do this, they call it a "shadow cabinet" and they limit the election to like 6 weeks. We need a parliamentary system and their election rules.

We kind of do it here with respect to hiring or opining on head coaches based on what their staff will consist of.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: January 02, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »

I don’t think there’s any evidence that their system produces better results.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: January 02, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »

I don’t think there’s any evidence that their system produces better results.

It is certainly more transparent.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: January 02, 2020, 07:12:20 PM »
I don’t know why he would, I’m making fun of Pete as much as I’m making fun of people being mad about Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catastrophe is a moron. He refuses to believe that Pete being deceptive is why anyone cares about this, no one actually cares about McKinsey.

Just a little mom and pop firm, nothing to see here. Some posters have done some work with McKinsey clients, so they're good.

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1205902893284347904

:blush:

lol, eff context

I quoted the whole entire post

Pro Publica published that article because of Pete. This message board is 11 years old, the word McKinsey didn't appear until a month ago.

Well no crap. And you posted the article because you let yourself fall for the same stupid talking point since you already disliked Pete.

I already disliked Pete? Interesting, this makes your clumsy defense of him make a bit more sense. I don't dislike Pete, I simply don't trust him, there's a difference. I literally defended him on the previous page. He campaigned for Obama in Iowa before anyone knew who he was, I don't doubt he's a liberal. I want him to stop with the everyman act, he's the only candidate left doing it and I can't help think it's because of immaturity or naivete.

You're also wrong as to my motivation for posting the article, I've told you a half dozen times. Either you're too stupid to understand or you're just being dishonest, which is definitely the case, so I'm just not going to discuss it with you anymore. I am discussing how he's changed how he formed the nature of what he did there, you want to have a discussion about what the firm is, I'm not interested in having that conversation as it's completely irrelevant to my point.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: January 02, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »
Outside of the UBI business (which has no chance of happening in the next 10 years), Yang is pretty moderate. I know this because that was my #1 match on isidewith, and I’m basically the Dax of moderates on this board.

His policy positions on his website and the positions he's taken during debates say otherwise. I don't know how you could possibly be moderate while supporting ubi, kinda informs everything else.
Yang’s views are pretty radical, but UBI is the only thing off the top of my head which I would consider as far left. He doesn’t fit neatly on an L to R line

Yeah pretty much this. MIR is conflating moderate with conservative. When I use it I’m conflating it more with being independent.

There's nothing I said in those two sentences that should have led you to this conclusion.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: January 02, 2020, 08:17:44 PM »
You're also wrong as to my motivation for posting the article, I've told you a half dozen times. Either you're too stupid to understand or you're just being dishonest, which is definitely the case, so I'm just not going to discuss it with you anymore. I am discussing how he's changed how he formed the nature of what he did there, you want to have a discussion about what the firm is, I'm not interested in having that conversation as it's completely irrelevant to my point.

What part of the article you posted supports this point?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: January 02, 2020, 11:40:43 PM »
Actually I think Warren is the same but she's chosen a path and is also loosely strapped to it. I like Pete's flexibility. Bernie is not budging from his line and I respect that but won't vote for it because his line sucks.

If Bernie is the candidate I will vote for him because he is still better than Trump.

No crap. But I'll also start doing illegal crap with my money.

like how much money do you estimate a bernie presidency would cost you if you wouldn't do something illegal with it?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: January 03, 2020, 03:30:07 AM »
we've got two sexy ass moderates left.

Biden: Bad because he's old AF.
Pete: Bad because he's inexperienced AF.
Both are bad because they have no real policy positions imo. Joe is at least strapped to his (some anyway) by his years of positioning himself on the issues.

Of the two I guess I'd lean Pete because I'm basically fine with a cabinet of actual smart people mining data to find the best/most well received policies. I'd probably run on that and not pick a policy position as you go because you should be honest with those voting for you that you may change that position soon depending on how the next twitter poll comes out.
Is Cory Booker not moderate?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: January 03, 2020, 06:49:00 AM »
Actually I think Warren is the same but she's chosen a path and is also loosely strapped to it. I like Pete's flexibility. Bernie is not budging from his line and I respect that but won't vote for it because his line sucks.

If Bernie is the candidate I will vote for him because he is still better than Trump.

like how much money do you estimate a bernie presidency would cost you if you wouldn't do something illegal with it?

Please measure in Disney trips.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: January 03, 2020, 07:28:15 AM »

Please measure in Disney trips.

1 Disney trip per based on net income. And an additional 20 Disney trips for impact to my retirement age.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:05 AM »
Yeah I don’t think Bernie’s single payer system would necessarily cost me more when balancing taxes vs health care costs, but taking away my tax shelter HSA would be quite a blow.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: January 03, 2020, 08:08:43 AM »
Yeah I don’t think Bernie’s single payer system would necessarily cost me more when balancing taxes vs health care costs, but taking away my tax shelter HSA would be quite a blow.
Holy crap how much do you have in an HSA and what do you think will happen to it

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: January 03, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »
It’s not that much right now, but if I keep putting in the max it will be in 30 years.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: January 03, 2020, 08:28:16 AM »
It’s not that much right now, but if I keep putting in the max it will be in 30 years.

You know you have to spend that tax free money on healthcare, right? Sounds like Bernie might give you a good opportunity to find a better loophole.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: January 03, 2020, 08:30:23 AM »
no you don't

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: January 03, 2020, 08:38:45 AM »
no you don't

In the beginning, HSA administrators verified purchases. That was a while ago, though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: January 03, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »
no you don't

In the beginning, HSA administrators verified purchases. That was a while ago, though.

I don’t want to muck up the thread, but this is a passion of mine, so just two points here:

1. If I pay healthcare costs out of pocket now, I can reimburse later down the road and let the (invested) HSA funds grow tax free in the interim.

2. After like age 60 (or something) HSAs basically convert into IRAs.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: January 03, 2020, 08:49:39 AM »
#3 is I’m sure I’m gonna have plenty of healthcare expenses in retirement anyway, so having an account dedicated to covering those expenses is still a pretty major part of a retirement plan.