Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 534909 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #600 on: February 15, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »
aside from the senate poll, pretty competitive presidential numbers for biden and harris.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1096513104677097472
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 15, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
beto's not afraid to make the case for immigration and border reform.   :love:

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-border-has-never-been-as-safe-and-secure-as-it-is-now-1442974787669

Did I miss something? Who is?

i'd love it if you can show me any of them addressing the issue in anything other that anti-trump platitudes.  i guess harris has proposed h-1b quota reform, but that'd like, almost offensively minor in ambition.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 15, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »
Is this where we discuss the litany of unaware white Berniebots professing on twitter that "Barbara Lee is canceled" because she had the temerity to endorse Kamala Harris?

I follow more than a few of them and haven't seen evidence of this beyond:  "I obviously really respect Barbara Lee but I think she is wrong about this."
Yeah it hasn't got much traction all. I bet some of the absurd Bernie haters are pushing this narrative pretty hard though

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 16, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
beto's not afraid to make the case for immigration and border reform.   :love:

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-border-has-never-been-as-safe-and-secure-as-it-is-now-1442974787669

Did I miss something? Who is?

i'd love it if you can show me any of them addressing the issue in anything other that anti-trump platitudes.  i guess harris has proposed h-1b quota reform, but that'd like, almost offensively minor in ambition.

Not addressing it doesn't mean they don't believe it should be a priority. It will certainly come through in the debates, it's not an issue you stump on unless you are from a border town.
Border security and immigration reform have been tackled by the last two Democrat presidents. Just because there's pushback on what Trump considers immigration reform doesn't mean there's a million miles of space for others to fit in. I want to abolish ice but that doesn't mean I don't think there should be millions, if not billions spent to technology at the borders, not enough focus on the northern border.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 16, 2019, 10:27:55 PM »
Is this where we discuss the litany of unaware white Berniebots professing on twitter that "Barbara Lee is canceled" because she had the temerity to endorse Kamala Harris?

I follow more than a few of them and haven't seen evidence of this beyond:  "I obviously really respect Barbara Lee but I think she is wrong about this."
Yeah it hasn't got much traction all. I bet some of the absurd Bernie haters are pushing this narrative pretty hard though

No, it was definitely Bernie supporters, I mean all you have to do do is search Barbara Lee cancelled on twitter. There were several others not using her full name. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I was a Bernie Sanders delegate for heaven's sakes. There was a strong contingent of African Americans leery of Bernie Sanders supporters and their reaction to that endorsement didn't help and was the first real sign I saw that they may have a point.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 16, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
Not addressing it doesn't mean they don't believe it should be a priority. It will certainly come through in the debates, it's not an issue you stump on unless you are from a border town.
Border security and immigration reform have been tackled by the last two Democrat presidents. Just because there's pushback on what Trump considers immigration reform doesn't mean there's a million miles of space for others to fit in. I want to abolish ice but that doesn't mean I don't think there should be millions, if not billions spent to technology at the borders, not enough focus on the northern border.

i mean, yeah that's what it means.  candidates talk about their priorities.  and every president since reagan has been a complete failure on immigration and worse on the border.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 17, 2019, 12:26:52 AM »

No, it was definitely Bernie supporters, I mean all you have to do do is search Barbara Lee cancelled on twitter. There were several others not using her full name. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I was a Bernie Sanders delegate for heaven's sakes. There was a strong contingent of African Americans leery of Bernie Sanders supporters and their reaction to that endorsement didn't help and was the first real sign I saw that they may have a point.

Most of the tweets are like this

https://twitter.com/mrvndn/status/1096202354003664896?s=19

https://twitter.com/VABVOX/status/1096234527733751810?s=19

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 17, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »

i mean, yeah that's what it means.  candidates talk about their priorities.  and every president since reagan has been a complete failure on immigration and worse on the border.

Well at this point that doesn't make Beto a differentiator.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 18, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »
 Donald Harris said in a statement to Jamaica Global Online:

“My dear departed grandmothers (whose extraordinary legacy I described in a recent essay on this website), as well as my deceased parents, must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics. Speaking for myself and my immediate Jamaican family, we wish to categorically dissociate ourselves from this travesty.” -Jamaica Global Online

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 19, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »
Did Bernie go on this rant from one of his multiple Dacha's?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 19, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
Enjoyed the yang Rogan episode but I can't take him seriously as a candidate. Happy for him to get the ubi issue out there though.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 19, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
It's really crazy how much centrists hate Bernie. He's not perfect, but damn they make him a villain.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 19, 2019, 10:32:37 AM »
I think Bernie sucks, personally.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 19, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
But do you blame him for getting Trump elected or think he's a maniacal racist and misogynist?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 19, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »
I'm over Bernie, Pete 2020

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 19, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
But do you blame him for getting Trump elected or think he's a maniacal racist and misogynist?

I think Bernie sucks for reasons unrelated to those items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 19, 2019, 11:20:17 AM »
this is interesting.  would love to see similar data for other states.  semi-unrelated, completely anecdotally, amongst retired professors in manhattan and on twitter i haven't seen much that supports the conventional view that sanders and warren cannibalize each other's support.  i'd love to see some ranked choice polls to see how many have them 1, 2.

https://twitter.com/jacobfhsmith/status/1097894417518739461

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 19, 2019, 11:21:23 AM »
another complete anecdote-driven observation - beto doesn't seem to be many people's second choice.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 19, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »

I think Bernie sucks for reasons unrelated to those items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which are very likely fair reasons

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 19, 2019, 11:28:53 AM »
Sys, I saw a tweet likening Bernie '16 to Santorum '12. Santorum was the "conservative" candidate to oppose Romney and got like 20% primary votes and won a handful of states. In '16 with a large field he got under 1 percent of primary votes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 19, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »
Sys, I saw a tweet likening Bernie '16 to Santorum '12. Santorum was the "conservative" candidate to oppose Romney and got like 20% primary votes and won a handful of states. In '16 with a large field he got under 1 percent of primary votes.

i don't think sanders' support has collapsed like that at all.  he still has a core (probably a larger and stronger core than any other candidate) and if the field stays large for a long time, i think he could have a path to winning.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 19, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »

Nope.