Author Topic: pos 'pubs being complete pieces of crap  (Read 144066 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: pos 'pubs being complete pieces of crap
« Reply #925 on: April 30, 2020, 07:24:13 PM »
Are you anti vote by mail Dax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 04, 2020, 09:45:57 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 04, 2020, 10:24:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/brianefallon/status/1257446936220782601

Farmer asks fox to investigate what animal ate all of the chickens
Chief Justice John Roberts is the fox in this metaphor?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 05, 2020, 01:22:14 AM »
Yes. I'm sure he takes his role seriously, but my confidence in the entire supreme court is completely eroded, it has become just as partisan as the executive and legislative branches. If Bitch did in fact force this judge out, no crap, nothing at all will happen. I wish I linked the article I read a few weeks ago, but the number of 5-4 votes, by this current makeup of the court, is at an all-time high, by far.

Maybe one day I'll dig into the history of the SC and see if it has always been this way or if there was a change, pretty sure of the answer though.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 05, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »
Over the last 6 months to a year, the Useful Idiots on the SCOTUS have made political comments on level that are almost unprecedented in SCOTUS history.

It's quite clear who the true partisans are on the SCOTUS and it ain't the right leaning justices.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 05, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
lmao

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 05, 2020, 09:56:26 AM »
lmao

SD punches it straight to the tap out

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 05, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »
Yes. I'm sure he takes his role seriously, but my confidence in the entire supreme court is completely eroded, it has become just as partisan as the executive and legislative branches. If Bitch did in fact force this judge out, no crap, nothing at all will happen. I wish I linked the article I read a few weeks ago, but the number of 5-4 votes, by this current makeup of the court, is at an all-time high, by far.

Maybe one day I'll dig into the history of the SC and see if it has always been this way or if there was a change, pretty sure of the answer though.

This is a stub article, but you can find similar analyses everywhere. SCOTUS has always agreed more than it disagrees:

The ratio is staggering. According to the Supreme Court Database, since 2000 a unanimous decision has been more likely than any other result — averaging 36 percent of all decisions. Even when the court did not reach a unanimous judgment, the justices often secured overwhelming majorities, with 7-to-2 or 8-to-1 judgments making up roughly 15 percent of decisions. The 5-to-4 decisions, by comparison, occurred in only 19 percent of cases.

https://www.pogo.org/analysis/2018/06/those-5-to-4-decisions-on-supreme-court-9-to-0-is-far-more-common/

Justices are people. As such, they are subject to the same passions and prejudices as the world in which they live. SCOTUS has always tried to remain apolitical. Of course, concepts such as the Political Question Doctrine and Separation of Powers can look like political cudgels depending on whether you like or dislike the ultimate ruling. I just don't think it's fair or warranted to lump the Judicial Branch together with the two political branches of government. That erodes the public trust in the single institution that was designed to be a check on the otherwise unchecked potential of the political branches of government. It hasn't always been perfect, but over time it does a far better job protecting our rights than the Legislative and Executive Branches.

And don't forget that Roberts was the crucial 5th vote needed to uphold Obamacare. Since Kennedy's retirement, he has often stepped into the role of swing vote in sensitive cases.

By the way, SCOTUS is experimenting with broadcasting oral arguments live. I'll be listening to one tomorrow morning, and resident politics wonks may want to tune in next week when SCOTUS will hear arguments in the Trump tax return/financial records subpoena cases.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 05, 2020, 02:19:40 PM »
Just saw that 5-4 stat was debunked on politifact.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that the judicial branch is just as partisan than the executive and legislative branches, but it's impossible for them to be fully removed from the partisanship when they were all nominated using litmus tests. Unlike dax, I don't think one party is more culpable than the other, it's just the nature of where we are now.

If we checked historically, I guess the litmus tests and partisanship bleeding into the SCOTUS has its roots in Roe v. Wade.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 05, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »
Just saw that 5-4 stat was debunked on politifact.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that the judicial branch is just as partisan than the executive and legislative branches, but it's impossible for them to be fully removed from the partisanship when they were all nominated using litmus tests. Unlike dax, I don't think one party is more culpable than the other, it's just the nature of where we are now.

If we checked historically, I guess the litmus tests and partisanship bleeding into the SCOTUS has its roots in Roe v. Wade.

To me, it would be FDR and the New Deal era. Roosevelt threatened to "pack the court" (increase the number of justices from 9 to some number I forget; maybe 15 or 20?) unless the Court started upholding his programs as constitutional. (Nowhere does the Constitution specify that SCOTUS must have 9 justices; it's just been that way for a very long time. The original Court had 6 Justices, but as RBG recently opined, "9 seems like a good number to me."). During this era there was a staunch core of conservative justices referred to as "the Four Horsemen" (lol). Lots of 5-4 defeats for Roosevelt. Anyway, one of the justices who had reliably found the New Deal programs unconstitutional had a change of heart and started voting to uphold every single one. The whole confrontation between FDR and the Court is known as "the switch in time that saved nine". Thus, the limitless expansion of congressional authority pursuant to the Commerce Clause and the corresponding expansion of federal power that marked the 20th century.

The interesting thing about Roe is that it was far less controversial when decided than it later became.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 09, 2020, 06:49:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/ReichlinMelnick/status/1259251913666805760

Not saying he's not a piece of crap, but that article is merely Politico weaving a narrative of the conversation based on a few snippets from democrats who were on the call. Not exactly a primary source.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 09, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
fair point.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 09, 2020, 07:07:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/ReichlinMelnick/status/1259251913666805760

Sounds like Beto complaining about the lack of servants, due to the virus.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:37:39 PM by bucket »

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 14, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »
Stepped down.  This guy is a major POS

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 14, 2020, 02:24:25 PM »
Stepped down.  This guy is a major POS
Stepped down as chair of the intelligence committee, he should probably step down as Senator.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 14, 2020, 02:43:04 PM »
Trump doesn't care about insider trading. He does, however, hate Burr chairing the IC.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 02, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
:adios:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 02, 2020, 09:14:29 AM »
Thanks. I looked it up and he was referring to Mitt Romney and how he choked like a dog.