Author Topic: The State of Our Union  (Read 9844 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: The State of Our Union
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2018, 08:27:00 AM »
Wow, Phil's meltdown in here last night.  :love:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
Another memorable moment.  This is pretty close to the actual conversation.

Trump: "And we finally repealed the worst part of Obamacare, the individual mandate."

Mrs. Cat (in health insurance but doesn't care about politics): "What?!"

Me: "Yeah, they repealed the individual mandate as part of the tax bill."

Mrs. Cat: "But they don't really mean that right?  They mean they replaced it with something else or changed the rule on preexisting conditions too."

Me: "Nope"

Mrs. Cat: "WHAT ARE THEY DOING?"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:41:12 AM by catastrophe »

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »
Yes, the individual mandate was a tax. Republicans were arguing that from the beginning, but Obama kept denying it until it got to the supreme court.  Stud move on his part.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
Trump is a very sincere speaker.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »
Wow, Phil's meltdown in here last night.  :love:
Lol wut? Which part was a meltdown?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
I think my favorite part was that every news outlet was calling it a success, but you were trying so hard to find something wrong with it.  :love: Classic lib Phil.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »
I should have clarified.  The conversation I posted would only make sense if you knew how health insurance works.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
I should have clarified.  The conversation I posted would only make sense if you knew how health insurance works.

Your conversation as posted makes it sound like your wife has no idea what the individual mandate is/was.  No dog in this fight, just an observation.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
i think i figured out all the people that were picking incomprehensible temps.  they don't actually know what temperature it is!  they probably see the high for the day and then they walk outside at like 7 am and they're like, "hey, this is pretty nice.  i guess 90 F is a comfortable temperature."

If the high is 90, there is a good chance it's already 80 at 7am so they are still weirdo losers
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »
I think my favorite part was that every news outlet was calling it a success, but you were trying so hard to find something wrong with it.  :love: Classic lib Phil.
Lol. Yeah I was trying really really hard

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
Thanks for admitting it,  :thumbs:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
Thanks for admitting it,  :thumbs:
5 posts on a topic isn't a meltdown...you should know the meltdown guidelines.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »

Trump: "And we finally repealed the worst part of Obamacare, the individual mandate."

Mrs. Cat (in health insurance but doesn't care about politics): "What?!"

Mrs. Cat: "But they don't really mean that right?  They mean they replaced it with something else or changed the rule on preexisting conditions too."

Mrs. Cat: "WHAT ARE THEY DOING?"

You shoulda heard some of my conversations back when Dems were ramming this turd through in the first place. Wish we had headed off these problems at that point.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »

Your conversation as posted makes it sound like your wife has no idea what the individual mandate is/was.  No dog in this fight, just an observation.

Here it is again, with subtext:

Trump: "And we finally repealed the worst part of Obamacare, the individual mandate." [The individual mandate is the requirement that all Americans purchase health insurance]

Mrs. Cat (in health insurance but doesn't care about politics): "What?!" [It's basically the backbone of the entire Affordable Care Act]

Mrs. Cat: "But they don't really mean that right?  They mean they replaced it with something else or changed the rule on preexisting conditions too." [It makes zero sense to only repeal the individual mandate aspect of the bill.  If you require health insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions, but do not require healthy individuals to buy insurance, it means healthy people have zero reason to buy health insurance until they get sick.  That is like the exact opposite of what insurance is supposed to be.]

Mrs. Cat: "WHAT ARE THEY DOING?"  [Insurance companies now have to cover sick people, healthy people now don't have to buy insurance until they get sick, and the federal government now pays subsidies to insurance companies to make sure rates are not insanely high.  Basically, we are currently in a system where sick people receive government bailouts, but it a convoluted way that makes it even more expensive than single payer would ever be.]

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2018, 10:45:22 AM »
Probably shouldn’t have passed a law requiring insurance to cover preexisting conditions, huh? Also, insurance premiums were exploding regardless of the individual mandate because not nearly enough young, healthy people were buying insurance, mandate be damned.

And not to quibble, but the primary aim of Obamacare was always expanding Medicaid. It has been marvelously “successful” (at running up massive costs) in that regard.

Democrats rammed this crap bill through, and it’s gonna get worse until they join with Pubs to fix the mess they made. By contrast, Pubs rammed through tax reform, which I suspect is going to be hugely popular.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
I did not like Obamacare at all, although most people agreed something should be done about the current treatment of preexisting conditions.  This is really more about how Republicans decided to make it the worst possible version of anything instead of passing something that made sense.

That said, the more I think about it, the more I think Democrats were actually ok with repealing the individual mandate because we are now way closer to single payer than we ever have been.  Insurance companies are going to struggle.  If the system collapses, the government will be forced to step in and essentially subsidize insurers to the point where the government becomes the ultimate provider.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
My thoughts after not watching the speech and not watching the rebuttal

SOTU: Was probably a good speech.  Some of that is also probably graded on a curve for Trump so long as he doesn't say anything outright inflammatory.  Glad he invited that police officer.  Not a GOP/Dem thing, that police officer is probably just a great dude

Rebuttal: That speech location/backdrop is way too pandery.  Don't like the Kennedy choice.  If Dem's want to give the Trump kids crap for their ridiculous involvement, should probably make sure Kennedy has some signature achievements on his own (maybe he does?)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
I wouldn't expect much in the way of accomplishments for rebuttal speakers.  At least in recent history, the response has always been used to let a younger, lesser-known congressperson get some spotlight time.  I hadn't heard of Rubio before his response, and I did not know there was another Kennedy in congress until this one.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »
My thoughts after not watching the speech and not watching the rebuttal

SOTU: Was probably a good speech.  Some of that is also probably graded on a curve for Trump so long as he doesn't say anything outright inflammatory.  Glad he invited that police officer.  Not a GOP/Dem thing, that police officer is probably just a great dude

Rebuttal: That speech location/backdrop is way too pandery.  Don't like the Kennedy choice.  If Dem's want to give the Trump kids crap for their ridiculous involvement, should probably make sure Kennedy has some signature achievements on his own (maybe he does?)

Pretty accurate recap.  I didn't think it was a bad speech and I thought the rebuttal was totally pandering.  He speaks good Spanish though.  :rolleyes:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2018, 01:02:52 PM »
wonder why Baio didn't go...

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
Probably shouldn’t have passed a law requiring insurance to cover preexisting conditions, huh? Also, insurance premiums were exploding regardless of the individual mandate because not nearly enough young, healthy people were buying insurance, mandate be damned.

And not to quibble, but the primary aim of Obamacare was always expanding Medicaid. It has been marvelously “successful” (at running up massive costs) in that regard.

Democrats rammed this crap bill through, and it’s gonna get worse until they join with Pubs to fix the mess they made. By contrast, Pubs rammed through tax reform, which I suspect is going to be hugely popular.

Most of America has no idea how much Obamacare has mumped up insurance coverage for people that are not covered by the gov't or their employer (which is most of America).  For those people like myself who actually have to purchase our own insurance....my wife and son and i are on our 4th different provider in 4 years and pay around 3X what we were paying 5 years ago for less coverage and a much higher deductible.  It's basically a month long process (on the phone) each time our provider decides they aren't going to cover our "area" any longer.  It's a way bigger mess than most people realize.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »

Most of America has no idea how much Obamacare has mumped up insurance coverage for people that are not covered by the gov't or their employer (which is most of America).  For those people like myself who actually have to purchase our own insurance....my wife and son and i are on our 4th different provider in 4 years and pay around 3X what we were paying 5 years ago for less coverage and a much higher deductible.  It's basically a month long process (on the phone) each time our provider decides they aren't going to cover our "area" any longer.  It's a way bigger mess than most people realize.

There is much truth to this statement.  The people I would listen to debate insurance would be the people that have had to use Obamacare in some form.  The coverage is total crap and very expensive. 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
Think about that wonderful free socialized medicine wb  :love:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2018, 01:45:18 PM »
Lot of confusing health insurance and healthcare.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »
I wouldn't expect much in the way of accomplishments for rebuttal speakers.  At least in recent history, the response has always been used to let a younger, lesser-known congressperson get some spotlight time.  I hadn't heard of Rubio before his response, and I did not know there was another Kennedy in congress until this one.

I agree that it's usually a rising star so accomplishments maybe light but don't like a Kennedy in that role.  Maybe 2 years away from an election, it's not a huge deal but I think using a Kennedy speaks to the Democrats' problem that helped cost them the election.  It shouldn't be hard to appeal to the working class better than billionaire Trump but the Democrats keep trotting out rich, white people from career politician families to do it.