Author Topic: Official 2018 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 132036 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2017 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #500 on: December 15, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
Brent has the best resume of any assistant coach (that has not been a head coach) in entire college football community.

Like anyone with the best resume to be a CEO (that has not been a CEO) in the entire industry they're applying for.

Now whether these people are the best fit, is a different angle.

Your point about Brent is true. Why don't you consider your last sentence when pushing your anti-seanite agenda?

I mean, I could honestly get behind Sean if you told me his staff beforehand. And it was a quality P5 staff, with quality minds and proven recruiters. My whole anti-sean stance is moreso based on that, his staff. Like he gets the CEO spot, who would be willing to come in and work under someone they believe they're more qualified than? K-State would more than likely have to catch lightning in a bottle with unproven coordinators by promoting position coaches and I think it's a recipe for disaster.
mike stoops appears to be ok with it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Brent has the best resume of any assistant coach (that has not been a head coach) in entire college football community.

Like anyone with the best resume to be a CEO (that has not been a CEO) in the entire industry they're applying for.

Your point about Brent is true. Why don't you consider your last sentence when pushing your anti-seanite agenda?

I mean, I could honestly get behind Sean if you told me his staff beforehand. And it was a quality P5 staff, with quality minds and proven recruiters. My whole anti-sean stance is moreso based on that, his staff. Like he gets the CEO spot, who would be willing to come in and work under someone they believe they're more qualified than? K-State would more than likely have to catch lightning in a bottle with unproven coordinators by promoting position coaches and I think it's a recipe for disaster.

I think most coaches coming here will need to fill their staffs with young, unproven, but hungry position coaches. Frankly that's what we need too. We will not be able to be a developmental program after Bill leaves, we're going to need talent, I'm less interested in the future staffs ability to develop than I am in their ability to identify and land talent.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 15, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »

I would argue that Aranda and Bud Foster are on par if not better but yeah.

also who hires Kendall Briles and when
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:52:45 PM by LickNeckey »

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 15, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »

mike stoops appears to be ok with it.

This is slightly misleading. He didn’t sign up to work under Riley, it happened to him. I also don’t consider Mike to be a very good DC today.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 15, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »
There's no way Mike Stoops would have followed Lincoln Riley to another job, and dlew absolutely knows that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 15, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
Brent, publicly anyway, is an unconfident loser who shouldn't be interviewed for any P5 head coaching job.
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article189924459.html
Without even knowing if he's even interested in becoming coach here, I'm now off of my stance that Brent and Sean are essentially the same candidate, Sean is clearly better.

You are so full of crap.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 15, 2017, 06:51:14 PM »
Sean is the only one of the two who wants the job, and he is far worse.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 15, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
But, if you told me we could have Brent as DC if Sean was HC, I’d be fine with that.  I have zero faith in Sean, but Brent might salvage it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 15, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »
Brent, publicly anyway, is an unconfident loser who shouldn't be interviewed for any P5 head coaching job.
Without even knowing if he's even interested in becoming coach here, I'm now off of my stance that Brent and Sean are essentially the same candidate, Sean is clearly better.

You are so full of crap.
I'll admit his resilience with this schtick almost makes it feel genuine

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:57 PM »

You are so full of crap.

You probably were that dude who still followed girls around after they told you to get mumped, not my style.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 15, 2017, 10:06:36 PM »
We're back on this tired old Sean/Brent topic again when neither is going to coach here, I'll take the blame for that. New topic.

Let's say Jim Tressel didn't go to Ohio State, but Michigan State instead, does he win a national championship? How many Big 10 titles?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 15, 2017, 11:59:58 PM »

We're back on this tired old Sean/Brent topic again when neither is going to coach here, I'll take the blame for that. New topic.

Let's say Jim Tressel didn't go to Ohio State, but Michigan State instead, does he win a national championship? How many Big 10 titles?

Could he get Maurice Clarett to Michigan State? If not, he'd have zero titles there. He probably wouldn't have any at Ohio State without Clarett either. I mean his title year had quite a bit of luck IIRC.

I have no idea how many Big 10 titles he had or what the rest of the league was like when he was there, but I'm guessing he could have had a few considering Michigan and Penn State weren't great. Of course you'd need to consider who Ohio State hired instead of Tressel in that scenario.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 16, 2017, 02:16:34 AM »

Could he get Maurice Clarett to Michigan State? If not, he'd have zero titles there. He probably wouldn't have any at Ohio State without Clarett either. I mean his title year had quite a bit of luck IIRC.

I have no idea how many Big 10 titles he had or what the rest of the league was like when he was there, but I'm guessing he could have had a few considering Michigan and Penn State weren't great. Of course you'd need to consider who Ohio State hired instead of Tressel in that scenario.

They had a relationship dating back pretty far before Tressel got to OSU from when both were at Youngstown, so I'd say yes. I was kind of speaking more generally instead of the specific situation though. Was Tressel good enough of a coach coming out of Youngstown to make a program like Michigan State a winner?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 16, 2017, 06:07:50 AM »
Reading through the contracts Currie must have crushed the lifetime job for Sean clause from Snyder 1.0’s contracts. 

I really can’t believe people are actually going to entertain this textbook nepotism.   

Particularly in light of a 3 season .592 winning %.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 16, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »
So, no one wants to play my game. :cry:

I asked because Tressel was a successful coach who went from FCS to FBS but P5 teams have not gone that route since, Mike London is the only one I can think of. Craig Bohl felt like he had to take a bad group of 5 job. Chris Klieman has been a part of five national championships and playing for a sixth this year. Would any of you be happy if we took a chance on him in the future? It's interesting to me that these dudes aren't getting a crack at a decent job.

He coached at KU in 1997 maybe they'll make him an offer after they gas their coach next year.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 16, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »
I'm Saban/Swinney/Urban or bust now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 16, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »

I asked because Tressel was a successful coach who went from FCS to FBS but P5 teams have not gone that route since, Mike London is the only one I can think of. Craig Bohl felt like he had to take a bad group of 5 job. Chris Klieman has been a part of five national championships and playing for a sixth this year. Would any of you be happy if we took a chance on him in the future? It's interesting to me that these dudes aren't getting a crack at a decent job.

He coached at KU in 1997 maybe they'll make him an offer after they gas their coach next year.
I wouldn't be opposed to it but I'd like to know more about where most of his players are. One huge advantage Tressel had is he'd already been recruiting the same primary region he'd recruited at YSU. That largely would have applied for Tressel at MSU, too, but he'd have to contend with whoever Ohio State hired instead of him which probably would have limited his theoretical success at MSU (in addition to Cooper leaving behind decent talent than Bobby Williams or even Saban).

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 18, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »

I don't know a whole lot about the current JMU or NDSU head coaches but they're probably worth a look

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »
Did Klieman coach for Terry Allen? That would be another FCS to P5 jump!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 18, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/12/behind_closed_doors_good_coach.html

When Orgeron got a chance to interview for another SEC head coach job, he didn't make LSU athletic director Joe Alleva get in a football stance. He had learned from the mistakes of his disastrous Ole Miss tenure and knew he had to sell the search committee on that enlightenment if he was going to get the full-time job. He created two binders on how to build a championship program at LSU full of things he learned along the way including at USC under Pete Carroll. It "blew away" the search committee and he got the job after Tom Herman opted for Austin over Baton Rouge

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 18, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
he looks old AF in that pic.

Wonder if the K-State clause is in the new contract.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 18, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
Two of the highest paid cordinators in college football are K-State guys.... can we just make Leavitt HC and bring BV back and let him do his DC job here? He doesn't need to be the HC, just get him here. Give Levitt 3 mil a year and BV 2 mil a year and we'll plug in coaches for $200-800K where we need. Give Sean the ST gig. Put the renovations on hold and break open Curries old piggy bank and make it happen.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 18, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
I would donate more for this ^^^ to happen.