Author Topic: Official 2018 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 131937 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2017 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #475 on: December 15, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »
I would thinking standing in your dad's shadow for 20 years shows a bigger lack of confidence

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
Brent, publicly anyway, is an unconfident loser who shouldn't be interviewed for any P5 head coaching job.
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article189924459.html
Without even knowing if he's even interested in becoming coach here, I'm now off of my stance that Brent and Sean are essentially the same candidate, Sean is clearly better.
HE IS BLUFFING, HE CAN'T OUTRIGHT SAY HE WANTS A P5 job or KState straight up. He would look like an ass if he did. Sit Down, Be Humble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 15, 2017, 11:01:48 AM »
I would thinking standing in your dad's shadow for 20 years shows a bigger lack of confidence

Not if the narrative is that he's being groomed. Despite the ridiculous argument otherwise, being here learning from LHC Bill Snyder is clearly better than leaving to be a head coach in the MAC or Sun Belt.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 15, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Brent, publicly anyway, is an unconfident loser who shouldn't be interviewed for any P5 head coaching job.
Without even knowing if he's even interested in becoming coach here, I'm now off of my stance that Brent and Sean are essentially the same candidate, Sean is clearly better.
HE IS BLUFFING, HE CAN'T OUTRIGHT SAY HE WANTS A P5 job or KState straight up. He would look like an ass if he did. Sit Down, Be Humble.

I read between the lines and the bluffing is obvious.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »

:lol:

You serious? Find me a quote from a current head coach where they express doubt in their desire to be a head coach, you won't. Just take the guy's word at face value, don't attribute some odd, unearned nobility to what he says.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 15, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »

I read between the lines and the bluffing is obvious.

What would be the point of that? What does it accomplish?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 15, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »
Your whole beef with venzy is that he is from Salina and I won't stand by and let you smear his good name
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 15, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
He is doing it so that way when he sees that Snyder has officially hung it up. When he gets the call he will already have the U-Haul ready to move to MHK and will be neighbors/best buds with Bob Stoops.

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 15, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »
He is doing it so that way when he sees that Snyder has officially hung it up. When he gets the call he will already have the U-Haul ready to move to MHK and will be neighbors/best buds with Bob Stoops.

He is waiting for the KSU job.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 15, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »

Not if the narrative is that he's being groomed. Despite the ridiculous argument otherwise, being here learning from LHC Bill Snyder is clearly better than leaving to be a head coach in the MAC or Sun Belt.

I don't know how you can say that Sean staying at K-State and working for his dad as a Special Teams Coordinator for 20 years somehow shows more confidence than Venzy being the DC for two different National Championship programs for 20 years.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 15, 2017, 11:35:09 AM »

why does that same argument not apply to venables?  last week your opinion was he should go to a non p5 hc job. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 15, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »
it's like you guys forget mir stood on the sidelines with Darnell McDonald that one time (and let him eat his food)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 15, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
@MakeItRain Herm silver backed someone at ASU to get what he wanted coordinator wise

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 15, 2017, 11:47:15 AM »
@MakeItRain Herm silver backed someone at ASU to get what he wanted coordinator wise

He wanted to keep Phil Bennett, but Bennett is leaving for personal reasons

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 15, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
I had no idea he was even there? Is his next move for the Qatz?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
I had no idea he was even there? Is his next move for the Qatz?

i doubt it given his history here with his wife

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »

I took the comments about following Bill as mostly respect for what Snyder has accomplished.  The other stuff about being a HC in general lines up exactly with what he has stated in previous interviews.

I see a guy who is very comfortable with being a coordinator and really doesn't have the drive or desire to be calling all the shots.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 15, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »

well, Napier is going to be HC at Louisiana Lafayette. So Dimel could have gone to ASU if he didn't get UTEP and Herm had offered.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 15, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »

I don't know how you can say that Sean staying at K-State and working for his dad as a Special Teams Coordinator for 20 years somehow shows more confidence than Venzy being the DC for two different National Championship programs for 20 years.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you hold the opinion that Bill has been grooming Sean to take over this specific job, that's more relevant than going somewhere else where you aren't getting that mentoring. It isn't groundbreaking. If you're going to be the CEO of Citibank would you be more ready for that position if you were the vice president of banking but you work closely with the current CEO ever-y-day or would you be more ready if you were the current CEO of K-State Bank and its four branches?

The confidence thing is completely different. I can't think of another P5 coordinator that openly states a hesitancy to becoming a head coach. How anyone feels about Venables aside, it's unique that he keeps doing it. This coupled with he's about to go into his 20th season as a defensive coordinator at a very high level program should lead people to believe that he's doing what he wants to do, which by the way, is okay.

I know why people are doing it, but I'm fascinated by people completely ignoring his words and actions.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 15, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
It's not like Brent isn't also working in close proximity to a great coach.  Brent's job just has more responsibility and accountability than Sean's.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »

why does that same argument not apply to venables?  last week your opinion was he should go to a non p5 hc job.

That isn't what I said at all. There are people saying that they think Sean should go somewhere else to be a head coach first, my argument is that if you think Sean should do that you should think Brent should too.

I don't think either should or needs to, either they will be a good head coach or won't be. It's been proven time after time that group of 5 success isn't a magic bullet to success at a P5. Hell we have examples of coaches doing well at one P5 but doing worse at another equal P5 school.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 15, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
It's not like Brent isn't also working in close proximity to a great coach.  Brent's job just has more responsibility and accountability than Sean's.

Is this supposed to be a rebuttal of my post?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 15, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Brent has the best resume of any assistant coach (that has not been a head coach) in entire college football community.

Like anyone with the best resume to be a CEO (that has not been a CEO) in the entire industry they're applying for.

Now whether these people are the best fit, is a different angle.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 15, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »
Brent has the best resume of any assistant coach (that has not been a head coach) in entire college football community.

Like anyone with the best resume to be a CEO (that has not been a CEO) in the entire industry they're applying for.

Your point about Brent is true. Why don't you consider your last sentence when pushing your anti-seanite agenda?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 15, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »

Your point about Brent is true. Why don't you consider your last sentence when pushing your anti-seanite agenda?

I mean, I could honestly get behind Sean if you told me his staff beforehand. And it was a quality P5 staff, with quality minds and proven recruiters. My whole anti-sean stance is moreso based on that, his staff. Like he gets the CEO spot, who would be willing to come in and work under someone they believe they're more qualified than? K-State would more than likely have to catch lightning in a bottle with unproven coordinators by promoting position coaches and I think it's a recipe for disaster.