Author Topic: Sky's the Limit  (Read 80023 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sky's the Limit
« Reply #300 on: November 29, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
I think they tried to protect him from running against KU and TT.  Once he was the starter against OSU, they just decided to let it rip some.  Against OSU, I feel like KSU tried to take advantage of his lack of running on the first drive to force OSU to account for him.  Once they did that, they tried to run him less.

Seems to me that they are trying to walk a line between protecting our last QB standing while acknowledging that he needs to run to have an offense that is even somewhat effective.  I have a hard time comparing his carries to any of our RBs individually when their snap counts are so varied from game to game.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
To be fair, quite a few of his rush attempts are him taking off when the pocket breaks down. IMO he often tucks and runs a little early, but that isn't a surprise for a younger guy.

That was the point of my designed run comment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 29, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »
Not trying to argue, I just wanted to look it up because I didn't remember, Thompson had 10 rushes in the second half against KU :flush: what the hell were we doing?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 29, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
To be fair, quite a few of his rush attempts are him taking off when the pocket breaks down. IMO he often tucks and runs a little early, but that isn't a surprise for a younger guy.

That was the point of my designed run comment.

What percentage of his 64 runs would you guess are scrambles? Even if it was 20% that still gives him 50 rushes in 4 games. That's far too many for a third stringer and still enough to know that he's the third best runner.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 29, 2017, 10:50:34 AM »
It seems to me that they've told him to avoid contact at all times. That would make a runner look less capable. But I still think, given our depth, its still too much. Let the rb's carry the load.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 29, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »
Not trying to argue, I just wanted to look it up because I didn't remember, Thompson had 10 rushes in the second half against KU :flush: what the hell were we doing?

Yea, that was higher than I thought.  I'm not sure how many were pass attempts or if some of that was due to Delton potentially being available still (Snyder said he was at half but he also tends to lie his ass off about QBs).  I remember watching it thinking he wasn't running it much and was handing it off on reads where he should keep it.  Not sure if the second part was due to inexperience or at the direction of coaches.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 29, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
I don't think there were a ton of designed runs down the stretch.

But of course with no other options and Sky already injured going into OSU, we come out and feature QB run game all the way down the field. :lol:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 29, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
I cant wait until he figures out that when he scrambles out of the pocket he can throw it away and not take a 2 yard loss every time

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 29, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
I cant wait until he figures out that when he scrambles out of the pocket he can throw it away and not take a 2 yard loss and a hit every time

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 29, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »
yeah, he should have thrown it away on the last play against Iowa State, what was he thinking  :rolleyes:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 29, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
yeah.. cause that's what I was talking about  :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
So this topic intrigued me a bit so I wanted to look up the other conference QB rushing attempts, especially given Baker, Kenny, and Will Grier are all good to great runners.

1. Sam Ehlinger 103 in 8 damn games :sdeek:
2. Alex Delton 80
3. Baker Mayfield 79
4. Kenny Hill    78
5. Charlie Brewer 65
6. Jesse Ertz    65
7. Skylar Thompson 64
8. Will Grier 63

If you were to break this down per snap, I'm definitely not doing that, I'd guess Delton, Ehlinger, Thompson would be 1, 2, 3.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
yeah, he should have thrown it away on the last play against Iowa State, what was he thinking  :rolleyes:

He absolutely should have thrown that away. That was designed to be a fade that would have given us one or two more plays. He made a hell of a play but it wasn't the right play.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 29, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »

He absolutely should have thrown that away. That was designed to be a fade that would have given us one or two more plays. He made a hell of a play but it wasn't the right play.

Absolutely should have thrown it away - I was losing my mind to the point that the kids and dogs were hiding under sturdy furniture.

That said, the kid has the inner spark of an aggressive winner. Love it. Just might need to think about heart medication come August...

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 29, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
sounds like you guys want an Alex Smith when we have a Brett Favre, smdh

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 29, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »
I'd be more excited about him if I didn't think Bill was forcing blood transfusions from him to get a few more years of life.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »

I don't think it was a fade, but it was supposed to be a quick throw. Thompson looks left immediately, both Pringle and Rheuter run quick curl routes and begin to pin into out cuts. I think they were anticipating a different coverage after the miss on the previous back corner fade to Pringle.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 29, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »

I don't think it was a fade, but it was supposed to be a quick throw. Thompson looks left immediately, both Pringle and Rheuter run quick curl routes and begin to pin into out cuts. I think they were anticipating a different coverage after the miss on the previous back corner fade to Pringle.

Zuber said in the postgame that his route was a fade though it was clear that Thompson wasn't looking over there on the snap. I had the thought that the play sequence was going to be fade left, fade right, fade left, run on 4th.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »

Zuber said in the postgame that his route was a fade though it was clear that Thompson wasn't looking over there on the snap. I had the thought that the play sequence was going to be fade left, fade right, fade left, run on 4th.

Yeah, I heard that and wondered what he was talking about because he didn't run a fade either. They all ran pin and out routes. I'm guessing they had a read on their release and ran those off of the read.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »

well considering snyds said this exact thing in his post game that's not going out on a limb FAN1

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »
Hot take, #skyguy could pass Jake Waters, and possibly CK7 as best QBs in Snyder 2.0 era :gocho:
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »

well considering snyds said this exact thing in his post game that's not going out on a limb FAN1

:curse:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 29, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 29, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
Looks like Sammy Wheeler might be our backup next  year.  :horrorsurprise:
If this is true, this will be our backup for now, assuming they red shirt Holcombe and we get no other additions.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/sammy-wheeler-181942
Looks from film to be a very good battering ram style QB.   :emawkid:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:46:29 PM by Katdaddy »
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 01, 2017, 06:55:31 AM »