Author Topic: Signs of getting old  (Read 91546 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of getting old
« Reply #725 on: February 14, 2021, 07:58:24 AM »
Apparently I’m having heartburn for the first time. This sucks.

gah, I just started getting this. only when I sleep. the first time I woke up and thought I was having a heart attack. but then I took a drink of water and it went away for a bit so I figured it wasn't that. then realized what was happening. It's usually after I've had alcohol for a few days in a row. omeprazole helps a lot but I read something about how you're not supposed to take it long term. fellow old people, post heart burn pro tips ITT.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 14, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »
also if I sit up it goes away. but you can't sleep sitting up!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #727 on: February 14, 2021, 09:18:11 AM »
Acid reflux. Getting old sucks. I had it bad for a while. Did a 14 day cycle omeprazole. Then went to three pills a week.

You aren't supposed to hit it every day because it blocks mineral intake. Pulling back to T, Th, Sa kept the bloodwork good and heartburn at bay.

If you reallllly don't want to take omeprazole long term, stop drinking. Ya, I know. What's the fun in that? Well, I haven't had a drink since last May and my gut has healed. I have to load up on a ton of spicy food to even need chewable antacid. Smoked food used to get the acid rolling too. I can enjoy a brisket now without feeling like death is coming out of my throat.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 14, 2021, 10:11:26 AM »
I’ve taken prescription heartburn meds for years now.  It sucks, I’ve tried to get off of it but it gets super worse when I quit taking it.  Getting old sucks.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 14, 2021, 10:22:08 AM »
also if I sit up it goes away. but you can't sleep sitting up!

I'm able to sleep on my back with a huge pillow stack so the throat has more of an incline. Usually helps while waiting for the pill to kick in. A doctor told my mom's husband to put bricks under the head of the bed to make the whole thing inclined lol.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 14, 2021, 10:23:07 AM »
I threw up Super Bowl night because our Buffalo Dip was so acidic, my stomach went to crap. Worst night ever!

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 14, 2021, 11:16:35 AM »
Update: went to the hospital shortly after that post thinking I was having a heart attack. I couldn’t breath, started vomiting from pain & started blacking out and falling to my knees. Got to the hospital and got worse. It wasn’t a heart attack, but they said it definitely wasn’t heartburn. They told me they’ve had people come in with heartburn thinking heart attack and they never thought that with me. Nurse said it looked like a heart attack until they ruled it out.

They don’t know what it was. They said it might have been my gallbladder or pancreas going haywire. They scanned me and said they suggested I call my PCP on Monday & get referred to a GI doctor to test gallbladder function. She told me even though your gallbladder is lower, the nerves all travel together along with your pancreas & with extreme gallbladder pain it can feel like that in your chest.

So I’m at the age where I present as a heart attack and spend six hours in the ER, but not a heart attack & they aren’t really sure what it was. They also said the whole time my blood pressure never rose above 120/80 and were shocked.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 14, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »
That is scary AF. Glad you are alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 14, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »
Holy cow, glad you’re okay
:adios:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 14, 2021, 04:19:39 PM »
I have one sore spot left where my gallbladder is.

Mrs. Hamburg friend’s husband had the same thing happen to him back in March where he thought he was having a heart attack. They told him the same thing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 14, 2021, 04:38:35 PM »
gallbladder is a thing I have that I have never thought about but now I'm terrified of it.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 14, 2021, 05:14:15 PM »
gallbladder is a thing I have that I have never thought about but now I'm terrified of it.

I think mine’s going to be medical waste by the end of the year.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 14, 2021, 05:20:53 PM »
How do you function without one? Some kind of meds?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 14, 2021, 05:50:36 PM »
How do you function without one? Some kind of meds?

You don’t need it, but it stores extra bile for helping breaking down fatty/greasy foods. Mrs. Hamburg pointed out this probably means the end of my favorite restaurant, Taco Grande.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #739 on: February 15, 2021, 04:55:08 AM »
Thought I had an upset stomach or food poisoning last year. Wanted to vomit for six hours straight but never could.  Gallbladder. Had it removed a year ago.

As noted, gb just stores excess bile. With gb removed, you get a little loose in the movements for a few weeks as your body adapts.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Jobu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 15, 2021, 08:09:56 AM »
About 15 years ago (I think) my gallbladder stopped functioning.  No stones, just stopped functioning.  After meals, I would get a pretty intense belly ache and nausea.  It was rough for a bit.

The function test sucked.  They basically do a test to activate the gallbladder.  If it doesn't activate, you have your symptoms.  When they did it, of course, I had the symptoms.  When the nurse came in, I had tears in my eyes, and she said "I think we found the problem." I said, "no crap."

The surgery is super easy.  Outpatient laproscope.  Sore belly for a few days, and watch the tiny incisions for infection.  I had mine out on a Thursday, back to work on Monday.
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh and I will cry.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 15, 2021, 08:14:01 AM »

Treating Your Entire Body Like A Trashcan Master Thread

Actions have consequences  :nono:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 15, 2021, 10:09:54 AM »
Thanks for the info IPA & Jobu.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 15, 2021, 11:38:53 AM »
I have two teens, and I am resisting the adoption of some of the new lingo.   My kids, probably just to humor me, do not use much of the new lingo at home with me, but I hear their friends use it, so I know that they must use it to.  Many of these make me very uncomfortable.  Some examples include, but are not limited to:

- low key:  This was used frequently by old people before being adopted by young people.  The old people would use it to describe a quiet function, for example.  Now it seems to be used interchangeably with "kind of" or "sort of." This one probably should not bother me, because "kind of" and "sort of" aren't very pretty phrases themselves.

- a minute:  Used interchangeably with "a while."  I detest this one, and hate even more that I will probably end up using it someday.  Crap.

- extra:  Used interchangeable with "overkill," or "over the top."  Again, I shouldn't really complain about this one, because it's no worse than the phrases it replaces, but change is hard.

- wait:  Used to start an interjection where you ask someone to clarify something.  It has always been used this way, but was formerly limited to higher priority items.  Now it seems to be used by young people to start any sort of clarifying interjection.  "Wait, what flavor of jelly do you have?"

- basic:  Mostly a negative description of something simple or plain.  I refuse to use this. 

- slaps:  "Good," "Excellent," "Terrific."  I come from a generation that started using the word "Bad" to mean good, so I shouldn't bitch about this one. Still doesn't sit right with me tho.

- banger:  "good song."  Might be applied to more than songs, but that's all I have heard it used to describe.  Meh, I don't hate it, but would feel silly using it. I will probably adopt this one before the others on this list tho.

There are loads of others, but this is all I can think of right now.

-

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 15, 2021, 12:09:18 PM »
I had a bout of really bad heartburn for a while. Omeperazole took care of it and after a few months I stopped taking it and just started watching what I ate and how much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 15, 2021, 12:10:36 PM »
Some of the youtubers and twitch'rs that I watch are fairly young (early 20's) and have a lot of the same lingo (particularly low key and wait). It's mostly amusing to me.

One I have noticed:

Bully - (stop bullying me) this is used a lot, mostly ironically like when your friend beats you in a game or makes a friend-type joke at your expense. Can also be used where my gamer generation would have used the word rape (I bullied the crap out of that guy).

I'll try to pay attention to get some more, but nothing comes to mind right away.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 15, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
- a minute:  Used interchangeably with "a while."  I detest this one, and hate even more that I will probably end up using it someday.  Crap.

When I moved to Oklahoma this was a popular term with old guys. Funny its now a kids thing.

I generally dont care that kids use different terms, but drip is the one that bugs me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:28:41 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 15, 2021, 01:17:21 PM »
I have two teens, and I am resisting the adoption of some of the new lingo.   My kids, probably just to humor me, do not use much of the new lingo at home with me, but I hear their friends use it, so I know that they must use it to.  Many of these make me very uncomfortable.  Some examples include, but are not limited to:

- low key:  This was used frequently by old people before being adopted by young people.  The old people would use it to describe a quiet function, for example.  Now it seems to be used interchangeably with "kind of" or "sort of." This one probably should not bother me, because "kind of" and "sort of" aren't very pretty phrases themselves.

- extra:  Used interchangeable with "overkill," or "over the top."  Again, I shouldn't really complain about this one, because it's no worse than the phrases it replaces, but change is hard.

- wait:  Used to start an interjection where you ask someone to clarify something.  It has always been used this way, but was formerly limited to higher priority items.  Now it seems to be used by young people to start any sort of clarifying interjection.  "Wait, what flavor of jelly do you have?"

- basic:  Mostly a negative description of something simple or plain.  I refuse to use this. 

- slaps:  "Good," "Excellent," "Terrific."  I come from a generation that started using the word "Bad" to mean good, so I shouldn't bitch about this one. Still doesn't sit right with me tho.

- banger:  "good song."  Might be applied to more than songs, but that's all I have heard it used to describe.  Meh, I don't hate it, but would feel silly using it. I will probably adopt this one before the others on this list tho.

There are loads of others, but this is all I can think of right now.

-

Add Yeet and Cappin to the list
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 15, 2021, 01:19:56 PM »
extra is a perfect word the way zoomers use it.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 15, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »
I'm familiar with yeet, but could you please define cappin'?