Author Topic: Cryptocurrency Master Thread  (Read 222629 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cryptocurrency Master Thread
« Reply #3850 on: January 12, 2022, 03:34:43 PM »
What a strange statement
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cryptocurrency Master Thread
« Reply #3851 on: January 12, 2022, 03:43:43 PM »
I mean the only way to do that today is to pay cash for everything and commit state and federal tax fraud.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: January 12, 2022, 05:36:11 PM »
Part of me says but btc since it's in low 40s.

yeah, this is also probably a good entry with more upside for ETH or LUNA as well

https://twitter.com/allstarcharts/status/1481407320110346246

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: January 12, 2022, 06:04:56 PM »
If you’re fundamentally against a ledger recording your significant transactions you don’t belong in a developed country.
Most people of all developed countries don't know what a ledger is, let alone how it works. Some people will be push back against tracked exchanges is all I'm saying
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: January 14, 2022, 08:18:33 AM »
regarding taxes - there is no way to summarize gains/losses on one line correct?  Have to enter each transaction on the tax form?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: January 14, 2022, 08:47:10 AM »
regarding taxes - there is no way to summarize gains/losses on one line correct?  Have to enter each transaction on the tax form?
My CPA, who I love dearly like a mother, is extremely excited that do my taxes this year

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: January 14, 2022, 08:54:37 AM »
My CPA, who I love dearly like a mother, is extremely excited that do my taxes this year

luckily looks like turbotax taps into coinbase which is where I've done 99% of my exchanges.  In the past I just used  summary report from cointracking.info that also had each detail below it. 

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: January 14, 2022, 10:12:40 AM »

This is part of the reason I never sell any crypto.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: January 14, 2022, 10:49:00 AM »
Same 100p

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: January 14, 2022, 06:25:26 PM »
I kind of mystified on what and how crypto works.  My daughter and her husband are into this and I hope they are making money. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: January 14, 2022, 06:37:39 PM »
I kind of mystified on what and how crypto works.  My daughter and her husband are into this and I hope they are making money.

Oh no. They are losing their entire asses.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: January 14, 2022, 06:42:20 PM »

Oh no. They are losing their entire asses.
But they are in really extraordinary company. So cheers to them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: January 17, 2022, 08:37:02 AM »
a thing about cryptobros that keep it from being taken too seriously is the incredibly overwhelming number of them who are just absolute morons

https://twitter.com/garybrannan/status/1482866885989478411

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: January 17, 2022, 12:51:29 PM »
a thing about cryptobros that keep it from being taken too seriously is the incredibly overwhelming number of them who are just absolute morons

https://twitter.com/garybrannan/status/1482866885989478411

yeah, I had a friend call me just last week about something like this. His friends son sold some NFT and made like 5 grand and he was like, "its just a shitty picture someone made, my kid could do that". I just told him that his kid couldn't sell it for 5 grand and to not worry about the dumb stuff you constantly hear about. I gave him a quick use case scenario for NFTs and he said that I made sense, but he was still pissed about a monkey picture selling for 5k so he said it was all stupid.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: January 18, 2022, 09:28:24 PM »
The first time I saw an iPhone, I thought it was dumb because it didn’t have buttons like a blackberry or palm. I didn’t know it had apps that would make a shotgun sound or look like a cigarette lighter.  Some of this crypto stuff is like that.  There’s crap happening that defies older sensibilities. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: January 18, 2022, 09:30:42 PM »
My father in law told me that Bitcoins (which he uses as a place holder name for all crypto currency) was just made up money with nothing backing it.  My response was “duh,” and “that basically describes every currency on the planet.” Of course, nukes back up ours and several others, which is nice.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: January 18, 2022, 10:25:59 PM »
The first time I saw an iPhone, I thought it was dumb because it didn’t have buttons like a blackberry or palm. I didn’t know it had apps that would make a shotgun sound or look like a cigarette lighter.  Some of this crypto stuff is like that.  There’s crap happening that defies older sensibilities.
I like this analogy, because so much of what people saw/thought of the first iPhone or iPad were based on gimmicky apps with like no practical purpose (which some people loved). I think a lot of NFTs right now are similar. Most are more a proof of concept rather than having inherent value.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: January 19, 2022, 08:19:19 AM »

This pretty good Pete, I like it. You can really do this with a lot things. In hindsight, people said some really dumb crap about the internet when it first started.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: January 19, 2022, 02:16:32 PM »
Guys, iPhones became very popular and widely adopted for personal use almost immediately.  Like, shockingly fast.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: January 19, 2022, 02:29:56 PM »
Yeah, it took me some time to come around on iphones being worth the money, but I never questioned whether or not they would be useful in the way that I question the value of a pixelated monkey that a kid could have drawn. I certainly never mocked an iphone owner in the same way that I would mock someone who paid $5k for a random NFT.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cryptocurrency Master Thread
« Reply #3870 on: January 19, 2022, 02:38:52 PM »
I think you guys are missing the point of the analogy. Crypto and NFTs have also had a pretty meteoric rise over the past couple years. Even though we’ve barely tapped their actual functionality.

If anything it’s their popularity that draws the criticism. You don’t sell monkey pictures for $5k without there being a pretty interested market behind it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: January 19, 2022, 02:42:49 PM »
Why go to an art exhibit and buy an original painting that you actually own and can resell when you can buy an NFT of an online image that you have zero ownership of and everyone else can see for free? It's basically a certificate to let other people know that you are a certified dumbass.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: January 19, 2022, 02:53:50 PM »
Why go to an art exhibit and buy an original painting that you actually own and can resell when you can buy an NFT of an online image that you have zero ownership of and everyone else can see for free? It's basically a certificate to let other people know that you are a certified dumbass.

I know people who have made an absolute killing in this market. I also read an interesting white paper from a few years ago about the economics behind digital scarcity. I'll see if I can dig it up, if you're willing to be open minded.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: January 19, 2022, 02:55:34 PM »

I know people who have made an absolute killing in this market. I also read an interesting white paper from a few years ago about the economics behind digital scarcity. I'll see if I can dig it up, if you're willing to be open minded.

Are the people you know people who are creating NFTs or people who are buying NFTs? I see the appeal of spending an afternoon making an NFT to be sold for thousands. I don't understand the purchasers.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: January 19, 2022, 03:04:24 PM »
I know several people who have turned 5k into 100k plus buying and selling 3D NFT’s on the VEVE platform
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best