Author Topic: Cryptocurrency Master Thread  (Read 222015 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Cryptocurrency Master Thread
« Reply #3475 on: October 26, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »
confirmed sd is a bigger crypto nerd than dbt

I'm for sure not. I never talk about this stuff with anyone other than gE people, my brother, and my accountant. The only reason I got interested and keep up at all with it is the financial publications, podcasts, media started to run with it more heavily. I'm definitely more of a stonks guy.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: October 26, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
I'm about to buy a crap ton more SHIB, I've decided.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: October 26, 2021, 01:48:27 PM »
I'm about to buy a crap ton more SHIB, I've decided.

it's certainly kicking a ton of asses

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: October 26, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
I now own hundreds of millions of this crap, thanks to the fiduciary advice from my personal friend and agent stevedave.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: October 26, 2021, 01:50:47 PM »
damn, nice work by stevedave for sure there

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: October 26, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
I also have 100+ million Shiba INU, I made a ton of cash CVC Coin so i kinda split the different with profit taking to get over the 100 million club of Shiba. I also do the Pi Network (where they are mining Tokens on your phone). It's suppose to go live here in December but no one really knows for sure on it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 02:23:04 PM by turnbull »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: October 26, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »
I'm almost certainly going to butcher the hell out of this but here goes my retelling of a recent odd lots episode where it was covered:

another great use for crypto is avoiding paying your taxes. but legal, like a rich guy. really wealthy people will have vast amounts of equity or other capital. but they can't sell it to get american dollars because then they'd have to pay taxes on the cap gains which rich people HATE. so, instead, they just take out a loan on backed by that asset and use that money. zero to you tax man and I'm only out a small interest rate on that loan. well, defi and crypto make it pretty easy for the everyman to do that. you own like an entire btc but you bought at $100 so you know for damn sure you aren't selling that thing and paying taxes on it. you could sell it to some sleazy back alley deal maker like kat kid off the books OR you could just use your neighborhood crypto exchange to give you a loan in united states dollars backed by that asset. now you've got your cash and no money to mr. tax bad person USA. this is probably a big piece of why the gov. can't decide if it hates crypto's guts yet or not. people "stake" crypto on some exchanges and get massive interest rates paid on it and don't know how that works. this is a lot of what's going on behind the scenes. it could for sure blow up in your face but probably not. FTX does a lot of this stuff I think.
Love this idea, but the only estimate I’ve seen so far is from Coinbase and they’re offering 8% APY :frown:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: October 26, 2021, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm almost certainly going to butcher the hell out of this but here goes my retelling of a recent odd lots episode where it was covered:

another great use for crypto is avoiding paying your taxes. but legal, like a rich guy. really wealthy people will have vast amounts of equity or other capital. but they can't sell it to get american dollars because then they'd have to pay taxes on the cap gains which rich people HATE. so, instead, they just take out a loan on backed by that asset and use that money. zero to you tax man and I'm only out a small interest rate on that loan. well, defi and crypto make it pretty easy for the everyman to do that. you own like an entire btc but you bought at $100 so you know for damn sure you aren't selling that thing and paying taxes on it. you could sell it to some sleazy back alley deal maker like kat kid off the books OR you could just use your neighborhood crypto exchange to give you a loan in united states dollars backed by that asset. now you've got your cash and no money to mr. tax bad person USA. this is probably a big piece of why the gov. can't decide if it hates crypto's guts yet or not. people "stake" crypto on some exchanges and get massive interest rates paid on it and don't know how that works. this is a lot of what's going on behind the scenes. it could for sure blow up in your face but probably not. FTX does a lot of this stuff I think.
Love this idea, but the only estimate I’ve seen so far is from Coinbase and they’re offering 8% APY :frown:
It is a real thing. The added bonus for the people that have the assets to continually do it without stripping all equity from their assets before death is that their estate will pay for those loans. And it's likely a portion of their estate will need to be liquidated to pay the loans off. Assuming the estate was gifted to beneficiaries, those people don't pay capital gains on the liquidation because the inherited assets get a new step up basis, meaning no capital gains except for whatever gains happened after the death of the original person.

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: October 26, 2021, 08:35:32 PM »
At least that's how it was explained to me. I haven't gotten really rich and died yet. Nor has anyone gifted me a 1%er type estate
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: October 26, 2021, 08:48:58 PM »
I have more than 1 ETH for the first time in years.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: October 26, 2021, 09:24:16 PM »
I have more than 1 ETH for the first time in years.
Nice work

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: October 26, 2021, 09:37:03 PM »
My 13 year old expects to get another fat $60 worth of ETH deposited from his mining operation any day now for this month.  That's up from the $50 or so he was expecting due to the recent price increases in ETH.  High times around here, guys.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cryptocurrency Master Thread
« Reply #3487 on: October 26, 2021, 10:13:54 PM »

It is a real thing. The added bonus for the people that have the assets to continually do it without stripping all equity from their assets before death is that their estate will pay for those loans. And it's likely a portion of their estate will need to be liquidated to pay the loans off. Assuming the estate was gifted to beneficiaries, those people don't pay capital gains on the liquidation because the inherited assets get a new step up basis, meaning no capital gains except for whatever gains happened after the death of the original person.
I understand it’s a real thing. What I’m saying is I’m not aware of who all will loan you cash with crypto as collateral other than Coinbase (where all my crypto happens to be) and their rates are not great.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: October 26, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
My 13 year old expects to get another fat $60 worth of ETH deposited from his mining operation any day now for this month.  That's up from the $50 or so he was expecting due to the recent price increases in ETH.  High times around here, guys.
Other than your electrical bill that’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: October 26, 2021, 10:22:26 PM »

They are moving to Proof of Stake soon so not sure the electric bill will be that high for much longer.

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: October 26, 2021, 10:32:04 PM »

They are moving to Proof of Stake soon so not sure the electric bill will be that high for much longer.

Yeah, he is trying to decide what to mine next. He’s also wondering if maybe used GPU’s could be bought up or at least less pressure on new GPU’s if he tries to expand (I.e. bum money off me or from Xmas gift cards).

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: October 26, 2021, 10:42:35 PM »

Yeah, he is trying to decide what to mine next. He’s also wondering if maybe used GPU’s could be bought up or at least less pressure on new GPU’s if he tries to expand (I.e. bum money off me or from Xmas gift cards).

So for what he already has you might look into(if you haven't already) staking the ETH he has earned or bought and get paid interest on it.  That would be a good way to have a passive interest income on it.  NVDA has been on fire lately but once the switch is made there have been a lot of people saying the stock will suffer a lot for a period of time and the market will be flooded with GPUs that nobody is using anymore to mine. 

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: October 26, 2021, 11:25:19 PM »
SHHHHHHIIIIBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: October 26, 2021, 11:28:35 PM »
Good thing I now hold hundreds of millions of these shits

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: October 27, 2021, 03:29:10 AM »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 27, 2021, 04:39:51 AM »

:dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 27, 2021, 06:17:24 AM »
Shiba just won't yield.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 27, 2021, 06:30:54 AM »
Shiba just won't yield.

all these other "coins" decided to lay down and take the day off but NOT OUR SHIB!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 27, 2021, 06:36:51 AM »
Shiba just won't yield.

all these other "coins" decided to lay down and take the day off but NOT OUR SHIB!
Bitcoin: no bones day
LTC: no bones day
ETH: no bones day
Sol: no bones day
SHIB: BONES DAY

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]