Author Topic: Cryptocurrency Master Thread  (Read 221783 times)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cryptocurrency Master Thread
« Reply #825 on: January 05, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
How do you guys have your portfolios split up?  In the short time I've been looking at this, BTC, LTC, etc. seem to be like investing in gold.  Pretty safe with a long term growth potential.  The altcoins seem to be where you would take a chance with a few hundred or a grand to see what happens with them.  Seems like you would own mostly BTC, LTC, or ETH with smattering of the others sprinkled in.
@mikec2w

The Big Train

« Reply #826 on: January 05, 2018, 07:44:56 PM »
Like I don’t want to be condescending and stuff to you guys who are just getting started but this isn’t just a get rich quick thing.  A large majority of these coins are scams and you will literally pay the price.

The reason there have and will be large pumps and dumps is because of investor ignorance.  I know the ICO’s and the hot new “coins” can jump a lot but please please do your research first.
Well, you can take steps to be prudent, but this is completely a get rich quick thing.

It’s also a lose all your money thing. Just trying to be helpful.
That's how most get rich quick things work.

But even aside from the ICOs and sketchy coins, you're kidding yourself if the larger crypto market (even the "solid" currencies) aren't get rich quick things.  Bitcoin is up 1500% in the last year.  Litecoin is up over 5600%.  This whole thing is a goldrush, fueled mostly by people drunk on the idea of multiplying their wealth for no effort and wanting to make a quick buck.  That's basically why I tossed some money at it, and, hey, it worked!  It's an attractive market in the same way a hot craps table is attractive.

You're right that people should know that many of these coins are essentially penny stocks, and carry the same risks.  But I think you could have also said that about some of the more established coins back when they were available at fractions of what they're now selling for.  Those of us in established cryptos and those of us in dogecoin are all playing more or less the same game here, is what i'm trying to say.

Yeah we can agree on the get rich quick thing. If you looked at the entirety of the people investing most don't give a crap about the underlying technology, just want to make money. I included the rest of my original post that you quoted to highlight what you said about tossing money and it working. Through this entire thing there have been extreme ups and downs, and I just wanted to highlight that it doesn't always just go up. After the SegWit2X fork was called off everything exploded exponentially and seemed like it would never stop growing. For those new to investing in this stuff they could have the perception that it's all roses and that it's a sure thing it's going to make them money. I was accused this summer of just posting positive stuff about everything which was simply not true.

why cant eth be moving like that:(

Uh, you might want to follow what you're speculating in bud. TBT has just been painting roses up in here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-hackers-stole-32-million-in-ethereum-after-a-parity-breach-2017-7

I think the only thing TBT has been painting is the market is extremely volatile and opportunity for significant returns/ losses exist.

For those that weren't around during all of this I am just reiterating that sentiment that there can and will be giant dips. This industry has created so much hype and I've had people who never post on this board PM asking for buying/selling advice. So I know that what is posted in this thread is viewed by a much larger audience than just the people who post here. I try and not give straight buying and selling advice in here now because I want people to be informed and not lose money because of bad advice. If you recently invested all you've ever really known is that cryptos have made you money. There are people that are taking mortgages out on their houses to buy this stuff for gods sakes. That is an extremely bad idea and I just want everyone here at gE.com that reads this stuff to not do crazy stuff like that. That's all I was really trying to say with that post.

Since the original Bitcoin genesis block there have been countless coins that have grown and fallen. Some of those were even mainstays in the top 10 market caps before all their investors lost it all. So I know that the established coins could all come down. It's highly unlikely but if every world government cracked down on it to have control and so did the banks that could threaten it. That is extremely unlikely but still something that could happen. At the end of the day I just want everyone here to be informed and make responsible decisions. I don't want people coming out and saying that I was the reason they lost money.

http://deadcoins.com/

https://twitter.com/TuurDemeester/status/948199520999034880

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 05, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
How do you guys have your portfolios split up?  In the short time I've been looking at this, BTC, LTC, etc. seem to be like investing in gold.  Pretty safe with a long term growth potential.  The altcoins seem to be where you would take a chance with a few hundred or a grand to see what happens with them.  Seems like you would own mostly BTC, LTC, or ETH with smattering of the others sprinkled in.

Current USD value. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

The Big Train

« Reply #828 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »

I am pretty heavy with LTC and BTC. I have some ETH but not nearly what I originally had. Have a few other small amounts of Dash, Monero, Ripple, and BNB.

The Big Train

The Big Train

« Reply #830 on: January 05, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
I know XRP is hotness right now but my god look at this usability for payments  :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/litecoin-transactions.html

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 05, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
Keep us grounded in legit decentralized stuff TBT, I'm like a cat that wants shiny toys
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

« Reply #833 on: January 05, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »
So, for my first post on getting everyone technically involved, I invite you to read this post on Merkle Trees. Maybe( :ohno: ) and hopefully it makes it a little more clear.

https://www.weusecoins.com/what-is-a-merkle-tree/

So this will be my 2nd post on getting everyone technically involved. What is replay protection? With all the hard forks that have happened and replay protection being a big issue here is a pretty good video to explain what it is and how it works.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:41 PM »
Pretty sure if TRX gets back to .30 or so I'm going to turn most of it into BTC.
@mikec2w

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 05, 2018, 09:58:48 PM »
Pretty sure if TRX gets back to .30 or so I'm going to turn most of it into BTC.
Rookie question but why not USD?

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 05, 2018, 10:01:15 PM »
Why hodl USD when you can hodl BTC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 05, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »
 I'm trying to build a stock of BTC and my strategy is to use whatever gains I can get from altcoins to fund it.
@mikec2w

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 05, 2018, 10:06:59 PM »
I'm trying to build a stock of BTC and my strategy is to use whatever gains I can get from altcoins to fund it.

ahhh, thought you were trying to take profits to safety. 

The Big Train

« Reply #839 on: January 05, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »

I initially thought you assumed he meant TRX(.30) <==> BTC. To which I was going to  :lol: and say that he just bought himself an entire island to retire on in 50 years.

The Big Train

« Reply #840 on: January 05, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »
BTW guys LTC is making a push back into the $300's  :driving:

The Big Train

« Reply #841 on: January 05, 2018, 10:46:44 PM »
I was going to post this a few days ago but was at work and busy and didn't. Great resources and probably should be appended to my original post ITT.

https://lopp.net/bitcoin.html

Edit: Added to OP

The Big Train

« Reply #842 on: January 05, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »
So the ethereum network is so clogged the past 24 hours you can't even sent ETH transactions. Scaling to millions(billions?) of people is not easy guys.

The Big Train

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »
https://twitter.com/fluffypony/status/949640461941080064
I saw that yesterday. Crazy stuff. By the way,  got mine set up and transferred all of my LTC and XRP to it. Worked awesome.   Thank you guys for the recommendos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@mikec2w

The Big Train

« Reply #845 on: January 06, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
This perspective goes for the vast majority of ICO’s and why so many of them fail. The concept is pretty cool for Tron, may read the white paper sometime if I’m bored. Sharding of the data is what MongoDB does for horizontal scaling so I’d be interested to see how they do it. It gets real complex real quick in MongoDB. We’ll see what happens with this white paper with no product.

http://www.trustnodes.com/2018/01/05/tron-14-billion-whitepaper-no-product

The Big Train

« Reply #846 on: January 06, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
Pretty good deep dive into Ripple and the history of changing attitudes.

https://www.coindesk.com/100-billion-controversy-xrps-surge-raises-hard-questions-ripple/

The Big Train

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 07, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
Lil bugger eth is almost a full 24 hours being over $1k, proud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile