Author Topic: Cryptocurrency Master Thread  (Read 221728 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Cryptocurrency Master Thread
« Reply #700 on: December 26, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
correct. here's how i did it:

1. set up accounts on coinbase and binance
2. put usd into coinbase
3. buy BTC in coinbase (can also be litecoin or ethereum but using bitcoin in this example)
4. transfer coinbase BTC to binance BTC
5. use BTC in binance to purchase smaller coins

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 26, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »

2. put usd into coinbase
3. buy BTC in coinbase (can also be litecoin or ethereum but using bitcoin in this example)

Thanks...that is what it looked like to me.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  :cheers:
@mikec2w

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 27, 2017, 01:52:31 AM »
I don't see Ripple ever becoming a BTC.  It's meant for banks to exchange internationally quicker than SWIFT and if the exchange cost becomes too much, the concept won't work.....at least that was my impression when I bought in....I'd gladly be incorrect.  I'd think the highest you'd see Ripple is 100 USD'ish.....

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 27, 2017, 06:30:57 AM »
I don't see Ripple ever becoming a BTC.  It's meant for banks to exchange internationally quicker than SWIFT and if the exchange cost becomes too much, the concept won't work.....at least that was my impression when I bought in....I'd gladly be incorrect.  I'd think the highest you'd see Ripple is 100 USD'ish.....

Agree on the $100 mark as highwater for XRP.  That price would far surpass BTC in market cap though given how many more coins XRP has.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
@mikec2w

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: December 27, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-exchanges-closing-doors-new-traders/
this is a good thing until they can get staffed enough. coinbase is still a hot freaking mess right now

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 27, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
Agreed...just glad I was able to slip in before they temporarily shut the door.
@mikec2w

The Big Train

« Reply #707 on: December 27, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »

2. put usd into coinbase

Thanks...that is what it looked like to me.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  :cheers:

Just so everyone has more info on this.  I had heard of Binance before but had never created an account.  Just got one set up and going to see what the fuss is all about.  Also this kind of additional info about Binance is what I like to see.   :thumbs:

https://blockonomi.com/binance-review/

Also just putting this quote from the bottom here in case people don't read the whole thing.

As always, take safety precautions such as using a unique password for signing up, switch on 2-factor authentication and try not to hold a large balance on the exchange itself for too long – remember to withdraw your currencies to your own private wallet.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 27, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »
Hey TBT. Missed ya bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 27, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »

The Big Train

« Reply #710 on: December 27, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »
Thinking of getting this hardware wallet....opinions?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143M2A5S/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2NJTDPTM6GV2R&colid=148F6GTZARV6B&psc=1

Has some nice reviews and I like some of the features it has.  Having Shapeshift integration is cool even if they do charge higher fees for the convenience.  Looks like good security like Trezor and Ledger.  It doesn't support XRP tho so I'm assuming you wouldn't be using it for that.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 27, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »
Thinking of getting this hardware wallet....opinions?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143M2A5S/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2NJTDPTM6GV2R&colid=148F6GTZARV6B&psc=1

Has some nice reviews and I like some of the features it has.  Having Shapeshift integration is cool even if they do charge higher fees for the convenience.  Looks like good security like Trezor and Ledger.  It doesn't support XRP tho so I'm assuming you wouldn't be using it for that.

uggh, I was just watching some reviews and it mentioned what it supported....so I was going to see if they did XRP....yeah that's kind of a show stopper.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 27, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »
Any guesses on when Coinbase will add XRP?  I would say early 2018 but they might still be feeing the aftershocks of adding BCH and botching it horribly.   Price sure seems to indicate a confidence of it being added.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

« Reply #713 on: December 27, 2017, 04:39:17 PM »
Any guesses on when Coinbase will add XRP?  I would say early 2018 but they might still be feeing the aftershocks of adding BCH and botching it horribly.   Price sure seems to indicate a confidence of it being added.

I think by April 1 they will have it online.  I know that it's been the next big thing that people want on CoinBase.  It's also been in the top 5 market cap for a long time now.  I also think that GDAX messed up and tipped their hand when they added the Bcash markets.  When it went online Charlie posted a screenshot commenting about how it was listed in the "Other" category of coins.  They quickly changed it to be in the "Bitcoin Cash" market, so that tells me that they may be adding more than just XRP soon, or have already deployed the infrastructure to handle more beyond XRP.

The Big Train

The Big Train

« Reply #715 on: December 27, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
Does anyone have any Dash or Monero?  They have always been super sexy coins on my radar but I never had a chance to buy them until now.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 27, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »
What type of a private wallet do you use?  Is it offline, cloud service?
@mikec2w

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 27, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
Does anyone have any Dash or Monero?  They have always been super sexy coins on my radar but I never had a chance to buy them until now.

i have monero. get it!

The Big Train

« Reply #718 on: December 27, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
What type of a private wallet do you use?  Is it offline, cloud service?

So this is sort of a loaded question.

There are several different ways you can go.  There are 4ish types of wallets that you can use, and they have their tradeoffs.  The first is the default wallet that is provided by the devs of the currency that you are using.  Second there are the exchange wallet services, both the online wallets like CoinBase has that are connected to the internet and allow for instant trading and transfer.  There are also the cold storage wallets like CoinBase's vault service.  The wallet is disconnected from the internet and takes several days to move funds based on the policy of the provider(because the wallets need to be retrieved, connected to the internet, verified, etc).

The third kind of wallet is a paper wallet(or app wallet).  This is a wallet that uses SPV(Simplified Payment Verification).  A portion of the blockchain is stored on your device and is connected to the network.  The fourth kind is a hardware wallet, which is what Phil was talking about earlier.  This is a physical device that is considered cold storage because it is disconnected from the internet.

Of the 4 wallets that I described 3 of them allow you to keep your private keys.  The exchange wallets are kept by that particular exchange.  I've talked about it in here or you can google Mt Gox, but they are the reason you don't want to keep your coins on exchanges for extended periods of time.

Now to your original question.  I use a combination of default and paper wallets.  The particulars I won't get into but you can generate as many addresses as you want, which are all completely independent of each other.  I keep the pass phrases for these wallets in a number of safe locations.  I also have my coins spread out over different wallets to minimize risk of compromising a single wallet with everything in it.

It really just depends how and where you want to keep your assets.

The Big Train

« Reply #719 on: December 27, 2017, 07:25:27 PM »

i have monero. get it!

Oh I have some now bud.  I just didn't know if I was the only one.  Monero mining through browser scripts is a very interesting piece of the Monero pie too.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: December 27, 2017, 08:07:39 PM »
Stunted shut up

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 27, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Anyone have a bitpay card? Been thinking of it for shits and giggles

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 27, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
Gotcha,  I've started researching them now.
@mikec2w

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 27, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »

i have monero. get it!

Oh I have some now bud.  I just didn't know if I was the only one.  Monero mining through browser scripts is a very interesting piece of the Monero pie too.

boneros for moneros!

The Big Train

« Reply #724 on: December 27, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
For about 10 min the LTC price was $250 on GDAX and $230 on Binance, caused because of a bidding war on GDAX.  Both exchanges have API's for trading...  :D :D :D

I mean that's an 8% difference between exchanges guys.   :kstategrad: :kstategrad: :kstategrad: