Author Topic: The LA Riots, 25 years ago this week  (Read 9672 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The LA Riots, 25 years ago this week
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »
Does this mean anything to any of you? It was probably the news event of my lifetime that had the greatest effect on me along with the Murrah Building bombing and the Challenger explosion.

There are several documentaries this week devoted to the subject including one on the History Channel tonight. I wonder how others experienced this. I was 16 years old in Garden City and I really had no one to share my feelings with. It was a rollercoaster of sadness and anger, even a little bit of relief as I felt like I lived a little bit through the civil disobedience.

I'll be interested to see where my emotions will go reliving this through much older eyes this week.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: The LA Riots, 25 years ago this week
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »
It means almost nothing to me.  On the same scale as when Kurt Cobain killed himself. 

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »
I'm 28.  So I don't remember any of this.  9/11 was my defining life event

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
In retrospect it reminds me of some of the examples of police shootings where the example might be flawed (terribly flawed in many cases) but become a touchstone for people to show their frustrations with a broken system.  It's sad when people focus on the bad examples instead of the systematic problems that allowed these events to occur. 

Also I found the intersections of OJ's case on the People V OJ and Rodney King to be really fascinating.  I knew there were some, but to hear the jurors put in so starkly was very interesting.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:51:50 PM »
Was only an infant.  Very interested to watch some of these documentaries though.  Have never heard the story from non middle aged white republicans.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:42 PM »
those koreans weren't rough ridin' around

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
I learned a lot on the O.J. made in America doc and various other documentaries.

I can't really add more to the dialogue as I was 6 years old. I am curious to ask friends and family what their take was.

Also curious to ask them about what was going on in my life. Military family. Thanks for the discussion points and the tangent it took me too.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »
those koreans weren't rough ridin' around
Really makes sense what Walt said on lost.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:42:28 PM »
I remember thinking that the beating, acquittal and subsequent rioting were all kind of mildly crappy. In retrospect, I think I was kind of young and naive on the police and acquittal stuff and should have been more angered by them.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 11:04:39 PM »
If nothing else I hope that this week teaches people that the LAPD verdicts were the match that lit the fire instead of the entire cause.

This history channel doc is doing a great job of showing the framework although they've yet to explore the issues between the Koreans and the blacks before the riots.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:52:48 PM »
I was pretty young, but remember thinking the cops getting off was pretty mumped up. I don't remember any feelings on the riots other than wtf
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 01:19:11 AM »
MiR I'm curious to see how small town KS viewed it and what kinds of pressure/views/narratives were impressed upon you. 

Also side note, what about the OKC bombing effected you?

All at your discretion.   
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 03:19:59 AM »
MiR I'm curious to see how small town KS viewed it and what kinds of pressure/views/narratives were impressed upon you. 

Also side note, what about the OKC bombing effected you?

All at your discretion.

There was no pressure, narratives, or views I'm sure for most people that may as well be in Liberia. There were no conversations at all about it, not even an "I wish those people would stop." There was one person, a teacher at the high school, that I would have had a conversation with about this, he was very socially conscious and like-minded, but I didn't have that type of relationship with him at that point.

As far as the Murrah Building bombing, I was born in  OKC and lived there until I was 10. My parents got divorced, mom remarried and moved to Kansas. My dad worked in that building at one time, I spent time in there as a young kid. I had an aunt in the building at the time of the explosion, she was thrown out of her chair and broke her leg. My great aunt, who essentially was a grandmother to me growing up, lived a short distance from there. That neighborhood was gentrified for Bricktown, that's another story for another day though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
This history channel doc is doing a great job of showing the framework although they've yet to explore the issues between the Koreans and the blacks before the riots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwA0UwnuS8

the Latasha Harlins incident pushed things over the edge

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
At the time, it meant almost nothing to me.  Not that it wasn't important but I grew up in a very small town, was around 11, and barely watched tv(we had 3 channels, 4 on good days).  I remember hearing about it and seeing a couple news clips about it.  It was a world away at that time and I was more confused about it than anything.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »
don't remember it. the OJ Made in America documentary might have been the first time i really learned anything substantial about it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 08:18:33 AM »
i thought it was in miami (thanks bradley  :curse: )

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
"Burn [redacted] Burn" on HBO was really good. Went from the 65 Watts riots thru 1992.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
I was only 12 but I remember vividly what happened to Reginald Denny. That was scary crap.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
Anyone that was so young that they don't remember just needs to listen to Sublime's, April 29th 1992 song.  This will catch you up on it.  Sorry, I was to lazy to post for you. 

Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 11:29:41 AM »
Anyone that was so young that they don't remember just needs to listen to Sublime's, April 29th 1992 song.  This will catch you up on it.  Sorry, I was to lazy to post for you.

i thought it was in miami (thanks bradley  :curse: )

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
I was too busy making out with chicks on the playground when all of this stuff happened. I have no idea what it is. I might look into it.