Author Topic: The LA Riots, 25 years ago this week  (Read 9808 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The LA Riots, 25 years ago this week
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
i thought it was in miami (thanks bradley  :curse: )
also confusing is he screwed up the date in the lyrics of the song when sings April 26th, 1992 in the original version (which I purchased for a penny, thanks BMG!)

My favorite parts of the song are the samples and it appears the cop ones are actually real Long Beach PD radio transmissions from the riot.  Here is a somewhat interesting article about those locations in Long Beach and what is there now

http://www.ocweekly.com/music/we-check-up-on-the-long-beach-addresses-in-sublimes-riot-song-april-29-1992-miami-6603037

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
"Burn [redacted] Burn" on HBO was really good. Went from the 65 Watts riots thru 1992.

Unfortunately it's on Showtime not HBO, it's the only documentary I've heard of that I can't see.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
i was pretty young at the time but definitely being relatively close-ish at the time (phoenix) seemed like it was all over the place as far as news/pop culture

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 01:06:32 PM »
I was only 12 but I remember vividly what happened to Reginald Denny. That was scary crap.
Yeah that is burned in to my mind.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
MiR thanks for your perspective on both events.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:42 PM »
I vaguely remember cops beating the crap out of a serial felon high on pcp at the conclusion of a high speed chase thst unnecessarily risked the lives of countless people. I recall a bunch of people burning down the shittiest part of l.a., but never considered that a significant event in history for non l.a. residents.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
You've never in your life driven drunk, fsd?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
Never on a highway at a high rate of speed?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
SDK, I was like 10yr old. Just telling you what I remember. I also conflate the event with the OJ crap show, which probably undermines the significance of the events.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »
I was just curious of the ground your standing on that justifies a beating of someone driving under the influence.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
You know what, maybe I misread. Does your opinion remain the same of the events now that you are not 10?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
I was just curious of the ground your standing on that justifies a beating of someone driving under the influence.

He wasn't just drunk, he was driving 80 through neighborhoods and a convicted felon.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »
You know what, maybe I misread. Does your opinion remain the same of the events now that you are not 10?

I didn't formulate an opinion then, and generally don't have one now. I'm fine with cops beating the crap out of people who reckless endanger the lives of innocent people.

I don't believe it to be a significant event in history.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 09:14:21 PM »
Ok. Thanks.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »
I vaguely remember cops beating the crap out of a serial felon high on pcp at the conclusion of a high speed chase thst unnecessarily risked the lives of countless people. I recall a bunch of people burning down the shittiest part of l.a., but never considered that a significant event in history for non l.a. residents.

You remember all of that but don't consider it a significant event for non LA residents?

SDK, I was like 10yr old. Just telling you what I remember.

I didn't formulate an opinion then, and generally don't have one now.

I don't believe it to be a significant event in history.

:dunno: :confused:

You're always been a pretty substandard troll/sock. The potential is there but you just aren't quite sharp enough to pull it off.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 10:32:43 PM »
I remember Sonny Bono bouncing his head off an Aspen and don't consider that a signisignificant event for non-bono family/friends.

Don't get mad that I disagree with you, and no reason to get nasty. I understand how important it is for you to find deep meaning and significance in anecdotal events among complete strangers thousands of miles away.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 11:47:47 PM »
Tries too hard to be edgy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:40 AM »
I remember Sonny Bono bouncing his head off an Aspen and don't consider that a signisignificant event for non-bono family/friends.

Don't get mad that I disagree with you, and no reason to get nasty. I understand how important it is for you to find deep meaning and significance in anecdotal events among complete strangers thousands of miles away.

What do we disagree about? I'm just trying to figure out what you remember and whether or not to believe the opinions you said you have no opinions about. Lots of memories and opinions about a non significant event from a 10 year old.

I didn't know crap about felons and pcp at 10.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 12:18:09 AM »
The funny thing is I actually believe that you don't remember anything about the riots. Your first post about it we full of nonsense; king wasn't on pcp when he got beaten, he only had what was found to be "traces of alcohol and marijuana." They also didn't "burn for down the shittiest part of l.a." unless you consider multiple parts the shittiest part.

You didn't have to lie about those being your memories at 10, we already know you're an ignorant dipshit with no drive for actually acquiring knowledge.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:10 AM »
They also didn't "burn for down the shittiest part of l.a." unless you consider multiple parts the shittiest part.

Come on now, they didn't burn place he would ever step foot in, so to him they were the shitty parts of town.

FSD the kind of dude who would have gone to the Cat's game at USC till he saw the driving directions and he was afraid of making a wrong turn south of campus.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2017, 06:04:18 AM »
Watched it unfold on the tube.  More of a rinse and repeat moment in history, imho.

I refuse to let the actions of others define/affect me.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2017, 07:03:33 AM »
The most chilling moment was when that guy smashed the truck driver in the face with a brick.  The first time I had ever witnessed such violence, and not a cop to be seen.  It was disgusting. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
They also didn't "burn for down the shittiest part of l.a." unless you consider multiple parts the shittiest part.

Come on now, they didn't burn place he would ever step foot in, so to him they were the shitty parts of town.

FSD the kind of dude who would have gone to the Cat's game at USC till he saw the driving directions and he was afraid of making a wrong turn south of campus.

Most of the fires weren't in South Central, they were in Koreatown which is 10 miles away from "the hood."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
The most chilling moment was when that guy smashed the truck driver in the face with a brick.  The first time I had ever witnessed such violence, and not a cop to be seen.  It was disgusting.
Saw in one of the docs that the police were instructed to stay the hell out. Like they were staged blocks away ready to bring some order and they were told not to intervene. That's about the riots as a whole. Not just that incident.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »

Most of the fires weren't in South Central, they were in Koreatown which is 10 miles away from "the hood."

You asked what people remembered and I told you. Turns out he died from od'ing on pcp, so that got jumbled in there.  Again, no reason to get mad or nasty.

I really don't recall anything about the riots, and if you're more than 6 blocks from the ocean, there really aren't any nice parts of l.a.