Author Topic: Kids  (Read 272987 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »
It seems that this entire thread has been a bit pre-occupied with examples of "things I enjoy" that skew pretty young (i.e. Icing bros).  What if what you enjoy are things like playing loads of golf, traveling, other "lifetime" hobbies?  Aren't these the sorts of things that people work their whole lives to pursue full time (retire)?

I really don't think many compelling "trade-offs" have been articulated in this thread.

Doesn't help.  I put out the challenge to name some of these things earlier.  Of the things you might actually do, there's nothing as worthwhile as raising kids.  Golf?  GMAFB.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
pretty happy that a lot of you bros aren't going to reproduce.  good for the gene pool.  (not you, sd.  you should probably pop a few out so that the fine art of nut-crushing and eyeball gouging remains intact)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
my point is this... everybody has things that they enjoy. if you can't have kids and still find time to do those things, then you are a big f#cking loser. big time. and odds are that you don't really like to do those things as much as you say you do and are just using your kids as an excuse for the fact that you are a big f#cking loser. these are the same people that are like "poker? love too. the old ball and chain won't let me though. never get married man. boy, i tell ya. it sucks. you lose all your freedom and stuff." total losers too.

why do people talk like it's either/or. you can do both. easily.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2010, 09:44:41 AM »
It seems that this entire thread has been a bit pre-occupied with examples of "things I enjoy" that skew pretty young (i.e. Icing bros).  What if what you enjoy are things like playing loads of golf, traveling, other "lifetime" hobbies?  Aren't these the sorts of things that people work their whole lives to pursue full time (retire)?

I really don't think many compelling "trade-offs" have been articulated in this thread.

Doesn't help.  I put out the challenge to name some of these things earlier.  Of the things you might actually do, there's nothing as worthwhile as raising kids.  Golf?  GMAFB.

What does "worthwhile" mean to you, exactly?  'Cause it doesn't sound like it means "live a life doing stuff that makes me happy" to you.  

Each example you have addressed you have dismissed with this "worthwhile" argument.  There's clearly something more than "being happy" included in your proposition.  OR, are you suggesting that you know that others will be happier with kids than they would have been if they spent time doing things that they know make them happy?  

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
my point is this... everybody has things that they enjoy. if you can't have kids and still find time to do those things, then you are a big f#cking loser. big time. and odds are that you don't really like to do those things as much as you say you do and are just using your kids as an excuse for the fact that you are a big f#cking loser. these are the same people that are like "poker? love too. the old ball and chain won't let me though. never get married man. boy, i tell ya. it sucks. you lose all your freedom and stuff." total losers too.

For the sake of clarification, I totally agree with all of this.  The correlation between the type of person that bitches about marriage and bitches about kids is right on.  (It's the same guy!)  I take it a step further and say that life can be more worthwhile with kids than it can be without.  That should have been on my list above.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
LSOC and I PAK almost everyday.  The PAK is something that aleviates the stress and all the BS that comes with having kids.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »

For the sake of clarification, I totally agree with all of this.  The correlation between the type of person that bitches about marriage and bitches about kids is right on.  (It's the same guy!)  I take it a step further and say that life can be more worthwhile with kids than it can be without.  That should have been on my list above.

I agree with both of you, but I am uncomfortable with this whole "worthwhile" argument.  IMO, there are loads of ways to have worthwhile experiences in life....it's kinda "parent snobbery" to suggest otherwise, isn't it?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2010, 10:05:29 AM »
What does "worthwhile" mean to you, exactly?  'Cause it doesn't sound like it means "live a life doing stuff that makes me happy" to you.  

Each example you have addressed you have dismissed with this "worthwhile" argument.  There's clearly something more than "being happy" included in your proposition.  OR, are you suggesting that you know that others will be happier with kids than they would have been if they spent time doing things that they know make them happy?  

Whorthwhile means worthwhile.  It may or may not be more inclusive than happy.  Doesn't matter because, yes, all I'm saying that childless people who find their lives worthwhile can find them even more worthwhile with kids.  

it's kinda "parent snobbery" to suggest otherwise, isn't it?

Not if you believe it.  Why wouldn't you tell someone how they could improve their life?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »
Running a K-State message board is about 1,000 times more "worthwile" than having kids imo.  That's not to say that having kids isn't worth it, it's just not by comparison. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »

I agree with both of you, but I am uncomfortable with this whole "worthwhile" argument.  IMO, there are loads of ways to have worthwhile experiences in life....it's kinda "parent snobbery" to suggest otherwise, isn't it?

i don't get the worthwhile thing either. some people want kids and others don't. it's worthwhile for the people that do and not for the people that don't. kind of like eating olives. i don't like them and wouldn't enjoy eating them but i'm sure there's some gross fracker out there who likes olives and would eat the bajeesus out of them if given the oppy.

it's the people who want to have them but are worried about what it will do to their life that i'm talking about. it really doesn't do anything to your life. you're the same person w/ kids that you were without them. if you were happy without kids, you'll be happy with kids. your days may skew to slightly different activities, but your level of happiness/contentment will still be the same and that's all that really matters in the end imo.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:03 AM »

Not if you believe it.  Why wouldn't you tell someone how they could improve their life?

you are starting to sound a lot like a person who loves olives trying to tell me "this is a kalamata though. you'll really like it. just try it. i promise."

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »
Ok, I will finally weigh in on this topic.  I have two children, a boy and a girl.  The girl is almost 4 and the biggest drama queen ever and my boy is almost two and future Ring of Honor linebacker, trust me.  He's pretty much the coolest dude I know, and he's not even 2 yet.  Anyhoo, it pretty much comes down to how selfish you are.  If you are all about yourself and what you want to do and blah blah blah, then don't have kids.  If you don't want to cut down on BBSing and paking then don't have kids.  If not, have kids.  If it takes you numerous BBS pages to figure it out, then I'd prolly just stick with not having kids.  

So look for a kid out of Basehor-Linwood High School in the class of 2027.  He'll prolly be about 6'3- 235.   :blush:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »
Ok, I will finally weigh in on this topic.  I have two children, a boy and a girl.  The girl is almost 4 and the biggest drama queen ever and my boy is almost two and future Ring of Honor linebacker, trust me.  He's pretty much the coolest dude I know, and he's not even 2 yet.  Anyhoo, it pretty much comes down to how selfish you are.  If you are all about yourself and what you want to do and blah blah blah, then don't have kids.  If you don't want to cut down on BBSing and paking then don't have kids.  If not, have kids.  If it takes you numerous BBS pages to figure it out, then I'd prolly just stick with not having kids.  

So look for a kid out of Basehor-Linwood High School in the class of 2027.  He'll prolly be about 6'3- 235.   :blush:

:powerespect:

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »
Please note that I am not using selfish with a bad connotation.  I'm just saying, if you don't want to give up some stuff that you like doing, then don't have kids.  Pretty simple really. 

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »

I'm just saying that selfish parents are the worst.  (See most celebrity parents).  If you have kids, then you have to put their best interests before your own.  That's just how it is.  I know, I know.... :powerespect:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »

I'm just saying that selfish parents are the worst.  (See most celebrity parents).  If you have kids, then you have to put their best interests before your own.  That's just how it is.  I know, I know.... :powerespect:

Neither of your back to back posts had anything to do with your being a powerespect (though they certainly didn't help), please exit this thread and never come back.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:29:18 AM by steve dave »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »

you are starting to sound a lot like a person who loves olives trying to tell me "this is a kalamata though. you'll really like it. just try it. i promise."

I wouldn't do that.  Tastes are relative.  But if we were cavemen, for example, I would tell you about a superior source of food if I thought it would improve the quality of your life.  Projects such as raising kids improve quality of life.

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
It's punch fighting time!!!!!!!!!  :comehere:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
Running a K-State message board is about 1,000 times more "worthwile" than having kids imo.  That's not to say that having kids isn't worth it, it's just not by comparison. 

Well, then the value of running a K-State message board plus the value of having kids is greater than the value of only running a K-State message board, right?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »

I'm just saying that selfish parents are the worst.  (See most celebrity parents).  If you have kids, then you have to put their best interests before your own.  That's just how it is.  I know, I know.... :powerespect:

you're quite the martyr. i'm sure your kids will love hearing about all the sacrifices you make for them.  

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:10 AM »

Well, then the value of running a K-State message board plus the value of having kids is greater than the value of only running a K-State message board, right?

can you even imagine what the value of running a message board, having kids and eating olives all day would be? probably double infinity or something.  :dunno:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
Wow, 5 pages...yeah, not gonna read that. I'd say just do what Mrs. Steve Dave wants. Then take it like a man, just like on every funny movie from the 90's, early 2000's.  :users:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
Oh, and there's a 25% chance you'll suffer depression during some period of the pregnancy or immediately thereafter.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »

you're quite the martyr. i'm sure your kids will love hearing about all the sacrifices you make for them.  

I'll be sure to tell them all about it. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
Oh, and there's a 25% chance you'll suffer depression during some period of the pregnancy or immediately thereafter.

I heard on NPR the other day that this was a result of picking up hormones or pheromones or something that the female puts off over this time.  Seems like there should be a way to avoid this.  Maybe keep the windows open so the air is always circulating or bumping up the showers to three times daily or something.