• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:04 PM »
Would you make them play tennis?

"Make?" Never, but they'll want to.

Also, Steve, I meant to say kids are easier to "keep alive" than a dog, not raise.   And, i really shouldn't have said "dog," 'cause those are really easy to keep alive.  Maybe think of an animal that is easy to kill....kids are easier to keep alive than that.   They can be super, super hard at times.   No question about it.  And, boring as crap when you have to just sit around and make sure they aren't eating glass or something.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 11:16:23 PM »
teach them chess and become a millionaire

Offline krazykat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »
kids = fat wife

not good.

stunz

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 04:14:34 AM »
adopt/draft.  hold a combine.  choose your investments wisely.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 07:08:03 AM »
Those of you not wanting kids:  Thank you for not reproducing!

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »
Sounds like someone's wife is having the same conversation as mine.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 01:04:28 PM »
Would you make them play tennis?

"Make?" Never, but they'll want to.

Also, Steve, I meant to say kids are easier to "keep alive" than a dog, not raise.   And, i really shouldn't have said "dog," 'cause those are really easy to keep alive.  Maybe think of an animal that is easy to kill....kids are easier to keep alive than that.   They can be super, super hard at times.   No question about it.  And, boring as crap when you have to just sit around and make sure they aren't eating glass or something.

Easier to keep alive than a goldfish?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »
I'm not worried about the money part. It's the free time.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 01:27:52 PM »
When's a good age to start looking at having kids? All my friends are popping out babies and I'm not ready yet. Feel a lot of pressure though. I think I want to have one kid of my own and adopt the other.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
Should babysit for a weekend to figure out.

Coincidentally, mrs lsoc and were looking at leaving the country for a long weekend.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
Should babysit for a weekend to figure out.

Coincidentally, mrs lsoc and were looking at leaving the country for a long weekend.

Do you require a background check?  If so, can you just use my goEMAW history instead?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
When's a good age to start looking at having kids? All my friends are popping out babies and I'm not ready yet. Feel a lot of pressure though. I think I want to have one kid of my own and adopt the other.

I think if you wait until you're ready, you'll never be ready. Just do the math and remember that you don't want to be a 60 year old dad that can't play with his kids.

And I hear you about pressure. The fact that I married into a third world family only exacerbates this. All the old ladies in the family (and there is a ridiculous amount of these in a Lebanese family) are constantly "comforting" my wife and telling her that "God will give you a baby when it's time..we're praying for you." She doesn't have the heart to tell them that we haven't been trying, because that's basically a crime against nature to them.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
I'm not worried about the money part. It's the free time.

Yeah, kiss most of that good bye.

Just had a kid.  It's amazing.  However, I miss sleep and BBSing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »
A guy I know has kids and always talks about how "amazing" it is and then I hung out with him when he got into a little liquor and he told me not to do it.  Said parents only talk about the good stuff but it sucks ass and he feels like the best years of his life are ruined.  Kind of freaked me out and is making me rethink things.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
it is the hardest and best thing a guy could do, imo.  gets easier quick, but no doubt basically takes all your effort for a good 2-3 yrs.  starts getting a lot easier at that point.  I would do it again given the choice.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
it is the hardest and best thing a guy could do, imo.  gets easier quick, but no doubt basically takes all your effort for a good 2-3 yrs.  starts getting a lot easier at that point.  I would do it again given the choice.

See, here's the thing, this guy says that all the time and told me that all parents do but they don't mean it.  He really broke it down for me and told me he didn't know what he was thinking when he decided to have kids.  Really scary. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »

See, here's the thing, this guy says that all the time and told me that all parents do but they don't mean it.  He really broke it down for me and told me he didn't know what he was thinking when he decided to have kids.  Really scary. 

i would guess tha this guy is also unhappy with work and wife.  get me drunk and my story stays the same.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
steve dave, don't do it.  you will regret it for the rest of your life.

also, don't forget that cns casey is a total jackass.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2010, 05:47:18 PM »

Yeah, this is the direction I'm leaning.  But, then I look at the beautiful michigancat clan and think that maybe it will turn out awesome like that.  I dunno.  I'm leaving this one in the hands of the BBS gods.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
Take in good AAU kids.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
here's the deal, if you can't have a kid or two and still have a great life then you are just a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). stop thinking so much about stuff and about some Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) friend who got drunk and cried on your shoulder. if you want to have kids, have them. if you don't, don't. honestly, it's not that hard though. it's only hard for retards and people who take crap way too seriously. get a good babysitter (not hard) and still do stuff away from home at least once a week or so.

it only gets hard if you forget to do other stuff away from them (ex-bww w/ your bro, kpaks, yearly vacations away from them to san francisco, etc.). parents get into trouble and hate life when they take themselves too seriously. i mean really....your kid(s) don't care at all if you leave them for a night or week every once in a while. you're not that important.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
wow, great stuff here by rd

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »

also, don't forget that cns casey is a total jackass.

SD, SYS is trying to validate his first point with his second.  don't fall for it.

RD basically nailed it with his point about retards.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »

I agree, RD is pretty rough ridin' wise on this topic.  Though, RD has an ability to let water (crap) roll off his back that has ducks around the world gawking at him in amazement.  RD has the mental strength of a rough ridin' jedi.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »

I agree, RD is pretty rough ridin' wise on this topic.  Though, RD has an ability to let water (crap) roll off his back that has ducks around the world gawking at him in amazement.  RD has the mental strength of a rough ridin' jedi.

Now I'm scared again because I get frazzled really easily.  It's almost a full time job for me to put up with mrs. dave and message board.