Author Topic: Kids  (Read 273302 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Warning, watching this video make you want kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOpOhlGiRTM

I really like my kids, but I'm glad I have boys.

you don't love them?  :horrorsurprise:

In his defense, it sounds like they're young and it's still early in the relationship.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
Pretty bummed I missed this thread. 

Chum and RD were nails.  :thumbs:

So did SD decide not to have kids?  :frown:  OMG how does the story end!?  :ohno:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
jesus christ what a boring video.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
So did SD decide not to have kids?  :frown:  OMG how does the story end!?  :ohno:

I decided today to fly somewhere for four days tomorrow for no reason, am going to vegas in march and november, kauai for 9 nights in may and europe for 2 weeks nov/dec.  how do you think it turned out?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
So did SD decide not to have kids?  :frown:  OMG how does the story end!?  :ohno:

I decided today to fly somewhere for four days tomorrow after for no reason, am going to vegas in march and november, kauai for 9 nights in may and europe for 2 weeks nov/dec.  how do you think it turned out?
[/quote

Unfulfilled and meaningless.  'Grats, SD.  :thumbs:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
I'm thinking about fathering another child just to spite sys.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »
I imagine it has already been discussed how parents always say how happy and fulfilling it is to have children, but are actually dying inside?  I may have kids if I make it to my 30's.  Doubt it, though.  I have friends that can't go on trips because they have dogs, how hard would it be to get them to do something fun when they have to figure out what to do with kids?  Also, do all people become insufferable after they have children?  Like posting stuff their kid did on facebook, like no kid has ever said anything strange before?  "Oh, guess what little johnny said today?  he said is favorite food is trucks!  LOL OMG!  Love him!"

I'm running out of parents to delete on facebook.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »
I decided today to fly somewhere for four days tomorrow for no reason, am going to vegas in march and november, kauai for 9 nights in may and europe for 2 weeks nov/dec.  how do you think it turned out?

:thumbs:

I imagine it has already been discussed how parents always say how happy and fulfilling it is to have children, but are actually dying inside?  I may have kids if I make it to my 30's.  Doubt it, though.  I have friends that can't go on trips because they have dogs, how hard would it be to get them to do something fun when they have to figure out what to do with kids?  Also, do all people become insufferable after they have children?  Like posting stuff their kid did on facebook, like no kid has ever said anything strange before?  "Oh, guess what little johnny said today?  he said is favorite food is trucks!  LOL OMG!  Love him!"

I'm running out of parents to delete on facebook.

This is a grade-A kitten_mittons post right here, folks.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
it seems pretty simple, really.  if you think things like trying different restaurants, seeing new sights, and pontificating about this stuff with your old lady for the next thirty to forty years is as good as it gets, then plan not to have kids.  then, when you're on your deathbed, you can go out with smile on your face, thinking about how awesome it was to eat that pizza in venice with the oysters on it, shell and all.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
it seems pretty simple, really.  if you think things like trying different restaurants, seeing new sights, and pontificating about this stuff with your old lady for the next thirty to forty years is as good as it gets, then plan not to have kids.  then, when you're on your deathbed, you can go out with smile on your face, thinking about how awesome it was to eat that pizza in venice with the oysters on it, shell and all.

oyster 'za
:love:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
Honestly, I'll probably have kids some day.  Not yet though, not yet.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »
honestly, love partying now and you can love having kids later.  the more experiences you have, the better.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
I have a kid and the wife and I are heading to Italy this spring to drink wine and get weird.   :dunno:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »
I have a kid and the wife and I are heading to Italy this spring to drink wine and get weird.   :dunno:

This.  JFC you guys.  It isn't one or the other. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2012, 09:23:58 AM »

chart from daniel gilbert's "stumbling onto happiness"

apparently the happiness that a person gets from having kids only comes after the kids have grown up and left the home. which is kind of funny.  it does kind of agree with what chum is saying though. also, the whole book is a pretty good read from start to finish. i still think that if you are a normal, fairly happy person with a good relationship that doesn't have some kind of god complex over your kids that you can get through parenthood without having that huge dip like the one in the chart.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:26:15 AM by rick daris »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »

apparently the happiness that a person gets from having kids only comes after the kids have grown up and left the home. which is kind of funny.  it does kind of agree with what chum is saying though. also, the whole book is a pretty good read from start to finish. i still think that if you are a normal, fairly happy person with a good relationship that doesn't have some kind of god complex over your kids that you can get through parenthood without having that huge dip like the one in the chart.

It would have been interesting if he would have included a baseline of people who never have kids.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
The people who never had kids are already on that graph, you just can't see them because they're hoovering at 100 their entire lives because they are going to Kauai for nine days here in a bit.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »
My brother and his wife were super happy together. Then they decided to have kids. Both were girls. Now my brother has two daughters and sometimes just sits in his car when he gets home from work and silently listens to the radio for awhile.

I mean, I can see how happy he is with them and everything, but no more impromptu weekend trips to Chicago or monthly drives to go climbing in Colorado, etc. It just does not appeal to me right now.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »
The people who never had kids are already on that graph, you just can't see them because they're hoovering at 100 their entire lives because they are going to Kauai for nine days here in a bit.

:thumbs:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »

It would have been interesting if he would have included a baseline of people who never have kids.

First of all, that's kind of a bullshit study.  They limited it to marital satisfaction.  What about overall happiness?  It's quite possible that while marital satisfaction does, in fact, fall precipitously during the early years of child raising, overall happiness remains relatively high.  In other words, kids take so much time and attention away from the marriage that it's almost inevitable that the satisfaction with the marriage would decline, but overall satisfaction in one's life is propped up by the existence of children.  In that same vein, the chart of marital satisfaction might very well take a similar path regardless of whether a couple has children.  I would also think if they broadened the study to overall happiness with life, the graphs would be similar for the first half, but I would have to believe that couples without children wouldn't be nearly as happy later in life.  I call this the "chum1 theory."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
Nothing like cranking out some kids to prop up the happiness of your marriage.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
A lady at work was talking the other day about how she got pregnant so her boyfriend would propose. Amazingly, she kind of regretted it even though she ended up getting married. Apparently kids are a lot of work.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Nothing like cranking out some kids to prop up the happiness of your marriage.

Nothing like low reading comprehension.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »
A lady at work was talking the other day about how she got pregnant so her boyfriend would propose.

What an excellent reason to break up with someone.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »
I have a kid and the wife and I are heading to Italy this spring to drink wine and get weird.   :dunno:

Good.  Get with BBF$$Kat on his extra ticket for Saturday and what time we're leaving.