Author Topic: Kids  (Read 285757 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #2950 on: March 11, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »
We have great kids at [High School]. Unfortunately, this is the time of year when great kids sometimes make bad decisions. This is typically the time for 'Nerf-Wars' to begin.  In the interest of keeping communication lines open and our kids safe, I wanted to pass along some information:

Nerf-Wars ARE NOT a school sanctioned or organized event.
Nerf-Wars include chasing other students around town - in cars - in order to 'shoot' and eliminate the opponent from the game using nerf guns.
The students have developed rules to avoid being 'shot'.
[High School] does not condone this activity because of the potential for bad decisions that could put kids in harm's way.  Anytime there are kids chasing other kids in cars, we are concerned.
Local businesses typically call the school this time of year complaining about carloads of kids in their parking lot.  Know that our advice to them is that they get license plate numbers and call the police if there is a problem.
There have been situations in past years where students have been involved in accidents.  We want to avoid our students finding themselves in any type of legal situation.
Finally, with a heightened awareness on gun violence, having students out in our community with items that even look like real weapons could have dangerous consequences.
While the activity may seem harmless enough, we remain concerned about the decisions our teens make and the potential for car accidents, trespassing charges, or worse.

Any nerf war activity on [High School] grounds will be subject to disciplinary actions.

As always, we wanted to have open communication and make you aware this is going on. We encourage you to have a conversation with your teen about your expectations.  None of us want to see any of our students injured or in trouble.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: March 11, 2022, 03:34:12 PM »
Back in my day (90's/early aughts), we called this being a kid  :cyclist:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: March 11, 2022, 03:56:39 PM »
Being a school official seems tiresome
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 11, 2022, 03:56:50 PM »
That sounds awesome

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: March 11, 2022, 04:28:31 PM »
lmao

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: March 11, 2022, 06:18:05 PM »
In high school we had a similar thing with water balloons. The seniors last day was always a week before everyone else. The sophomores & juniors would use the week before to fill water balloons. When school got out the afternoon of the seniors last day, the sophomores & juniors started driving around the south end of town throwing water balloons at each other & trying to find the other’s stash of balloons to pop. It went on all night until dawn, when both sides met at the old airport for a balloon fight. Most people’s parents knew about it & didn’t care that we were out all night.

I think it ended 4 or 5 years after I graduated because a kid fell out of a truck bed & crack his skull. I’m pretty sure my siblings that were 8 years behind me didn’t do it. Junior year I was in a truck bed with a kid that wasn’t ready when the driver gunned it off a red light. He started to fall out the back, but was caught & pulled back in. He was wearing a gray hat that had pavement streaks on it when he was pulled back in. Looking back, I’m surprised with what we got away with & the cops didn’t try to shut it down.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 06:22:19 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: March 24, 2022, 10:36:38 AM »
My wife has two trips planned in the next 30 days with the girls. One to Austin this weekend and the other to Palm Springs. Anyways, this means I'll be alone with the little one for 4-5 days during those vacays. This has never been done before on my end. How mumped am I? He's really starting to go through his terrible 2's and it's mommy this and mommy that these days with him. I'm terrified. lol

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: March 24, 2022, 10:41:06 AM »
My wife has two trips planned in the next 30 days with the girls. One to Austin this weekend and the other to Palm Springs. Anyways, this means I'll be alone with the little one for 4-5 days during those vacays. This has never been done before on my end. How mumped am I? He's really starting to go through his terrible 2's and it's mommy this and mommy that these days with him. I'm terrified. lol

It'll be great!  I have found that our toddler acts much better when mom is not around.  If it's nice take him to some outside breweries and let him run around, and you can watch with some brewskis. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: March 24, 2022, 10:44:17 AM »

It'll be great!  I have found that our toddler acts much better when mom is not around.  If it's nice take him to some outside breweries and let him run around, and you can watch with some brewskis.
I've honestly noticed this as well. He's just fine when I pick him up from day care and mommies at a HH and I'm at home alone with him, but as soon as mommy enters the room, different kid. It's crazy.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: March 24, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
Nerf wars were very fun and brought kids together who might not otherwise interact.

Offline jar

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: March 24, 2022, 11:31:33 AM »
In high school we had a similar thing with water balloons. The seniors last day was always a week before everyone else. The sophomores & juniors would use the week before to fill water balloons. When school got out the afternoon of the seniors last day, the sophomores & juniors started driving around the south end of town throwing water balloons at each other & trying to find the other’s stash of balloons to pop. It went on all night until dawn, when both sides met at the old airport for a balloon fight. Most people’s parents knew about it & didn’t care that we were out all night.

I think it ended 4 or 5 years after I graduated because a kid fell out of a truck bed & crack his skull. I’m pretty sure my siblings that were 8 years behind me didn’t do it. Junior year I was in a truck bed with a kid that wasn’t ready when the driver gunned it off a red light. He started to fall out the back, but was caught & pulled back in. He was wearing a gray hat that had pavement streaks on it when he was pulled back in. Looking back, I’m surprised with what we got away with & the cops didn’t try to shut it down.

Reading this I wondered if a lot of places had water balloon fights or if you were talking about Salina. "The old airport" gave it away though.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: March 24, 2022, 12:22:43 PM »
Didn’t know there was another nearing middle-aged Salina person here besides Tobias.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: March 24, 2022, 04:26:27 PM »

I've honestly noticed this as well. He's just fine when I pick him up from day care and mommies at a HH and I'm at home alone with him, but as soon as mommy enters the room, different kid. It's crazy.

This is a normal thing that kids go through. don't sweat it.

As far as your wife being gone, enjoy it. Don't sweat about being a dad, keep them fed and give them activities to do that will stimulate their minds, whether it's at the park, with some crayons or paint, whatever. Kids aren't that complicated.

Pro-Tip: don't let mom facetime w the kid, will likely send them into an hour long spiral of emotions.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: March 24, 2022, 04:46:23 PM »
paint/playdough

and always read to them before bed.  feel free to pak after they are asleep

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: March 24, 2022, 04:47:21 PM »
 :thumbs: Great advice and good call on the FaceTime suggestion. We were doing that when I was traveling for work. Told him I’d be home the next day, but I got delayed due to weather and it was a couple days later when I arrived. He was pissed for a few days at me. Kept asking mom if I was at the door every time we face timed. It was sad.

Offline jar

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: March 24, 2022, 04:54:30 PM »
Didn’t know there was another nearing middle-aged Salina person here besides Tobias.

Proud graduate of the Brent Venables high school for kids who don't like looking out windows.

Just a few weeks ago my daughter was asking about a scar on my hand, so I got to tell her the story of how I valiantly defended a cooler of water balloons from a couple of thieving juniors.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: March 24, 2022, 05:16:38 PM »

Proud graduate of the Brent Venables high school for kids who don't like looking out windows.

Just a few weeks ago my daughter was asking about a scar on my hand, so I got to tell her the story of how I valiantly defended a cooler of water balloons from a couple of thieving juniors.

:ROFL:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: March 25, 2022, 01:34:35 AM »
good lord the vehicular water balloon fights were some savage crap.  the popularity of sunroofs at the time was really a mixed bag.  we were stupid motherfuckers, I don’t have kids but I can think of like a million less risky behaviors I’d rather shrug my shoulders at than this dumb gta3 crap.

ps def don’t remember the skull cracking even though we were close in age hamb, christ

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: March 25, 2022, 09:40:40 AM »
good lord the vehicular water balloon fights were some savage crap.  the popularity of sunroofs at the time was really a mixed bag.  we were stupid motherfuckers, I don’t have kids but I can think of like a million less risky behaviors I’d rather shrug my shoulders at than this dumb gta3 crap.

ps def don’t remember the skull cracking even though we were close in age hamb, christ

Did you guys do it too? I don’t remember.

I kind of remember a kid getting hurt when I was in college. Then a few years later when my siblings got to the age to do it in 2008 I asked my dad about it. He replied “hell no they aren’t doing it, they put a stop to it a few years ago after the so-and-so kid cracked his skull falling out of a truck bed.”

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: March 25, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »
not nearly at the same scale as you guys from what it sounds like, only remember doing it like three times (Sober Sundays).  as often as i see cops watching markley (p much daily), where the eff were they then.  i don't remember a single cop interaction, somehow

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: March 28, 2022, 08:51:32 PM »
A couple road trips ago I listened to The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me while the kids were in the back doing their own things. Now it’s all they want to listen to. Every time we get in the car they ask for it. Last weekend we went to Salina & we listened to the whole thing on the way up & the way back.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: April 08, 2022, 09:26:40 AM »
Anyone with girls have any tricks to brushing their hair? Anyone have an electric heated drying brush? I have no idea how my girls get their hair so knotted & it’s world war 9 in my house for 30 minutes every night.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: April 08, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
Anyone with girls have any tricks to brushing their hair? Anyone have an electric heated drying brush? I have no idea how my girls get their hair so knotted & it’s world war 9 in my house for 30 minutes every night.

get a wet brush

start at the very bottom and work your way towards the scalp

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: April 08, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »
Also, get some leave in conditioner for them.  it tends to make that mess easier to brush out.
@mikec2w

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: April 08, 2022, 10:20:33 AM »
they make a detangler spray it works wonders.