Author Topic: Kids  (Read 273317 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #2850 on: June 30, 2021, 08:32:47 AM »
Allegedly each intervention increases chances for complications.

So the best way for healthy mom, healthy baby is no drugs/natural

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you get the right OB, you can go through the labor process without drugs in the hospital and only do a C-section when lives are in danger. Certain OBs can be very accommodating to your birth plan, however the staff will becoming increasing annoyed as it progresses though.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kids
« Reply #2851 on: June 30, 2021, 08:40:27 AM »
Someone else said it but I think a doula is great for bridging the gap between “natural” and safe childbirth. Not saying home births are dangerous, but I mean mom/baby deaths in childbirth were a lot more common before hospitals became the norm.

With a doula you have someone who has the experience to know when to push back on doctors just trying to keep a schedule or being unnecessarily cautious.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: June 30, 2021, 09:15:26 AM »
have any of you ever seen Pieces of a Woman (2020)?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: June 30, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »
We had all home births because it’s what my wife wanted. Had a midwife as well as a doula. Also had plans for complications in place. Midwife had also delivered many breach babies and ones with cord wrapped around neck etc. honestly it’s kinda nice having kiddo at home. From what little I listen it doesn’t seem being induced is a great thing and why many women end up having c sections(body and baby weren’t ready to come out yet) will definitely answer any questions. Oldest was born at the hospital so I do have experience on both ends of the spectrum

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kids
« Reply #2854 on: June 30, 2021, 10:47:00 AM »
I think a lot of doctors (ours included) use c-sections as a crutch because it eliminates a lot of the scary variables. Not particularly good for mom or baby in the long run but not bad either.

I wouldn’t presume to say any one method is better than another, but like yla I’d recommend anyone planning on home birth to have a plan in case of complications.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: June 30, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »
Have any of you ever taken on a DIY home improvement project just because you can't see the sense in paying someone else to do something you can do yourself for free?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: June 30, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »
Have any of you ever taken on a DIY home improvement project just because you can't see the sense in paying someone else to do something you can do yourself for free?

i cooked bacon and eggs for dinner last night because i didn't feel like going to waffle house

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: June 30, 2021, 11:29:25 AM »
nbd, babies were born for thousands (millions?) of years before there were hospitals

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: June 30, 2021, 11:35:29 AM »
Yep.. we actually called the midwife too late for the second one and I delivered him.  :gocho:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: June 30, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
nbd, babies were born for thousands (millions?) of years before there were hospitals

yeah but pretty much all of them died in childbirth

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: June 30, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »
Adopt, don't shop.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: June 30, 2021, 12:57:17 PM »

They also had like a dozen kids cause you counted on losing like 2-4 to disease or other horrible accidents and the rest were basically your 401k.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: June 30, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »

They also had like a dozen kids cause you counted on losing like 2-4 to disease or other horrible accidents and the rest were basically your 401k.

I wouldn't call them your 401k so much as your employees.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: June 30, 2021, 01:19:19 PM »
We had a midwife and a doula in hospital.

There was an OB that was partnered with the midwife but we never even saw or met them.

And we had a nurse roll her eyes when we declined pain meds during labor.

It was very clear that it was a pain in the ass for the nurses

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: June 30, 2021, 06:42:02 PM »
Yep.. we actually called the midwife too late for the second one and I delivered him.  :gocho:

Boss
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: July 01, 2021, 04:49:06 PM »
Like to have a natural childbirth, your best bet is to labor outside of the hospital for as long as possible because when you are checked in you’re basically bed ridden which isn’t good too keep the labor going.

Only at shitty hospitals. Just get a midwife instead of an OBGYN.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: July 01, 2021, 04:51:05 PM »
I should say, my wife DID NOT want c section (scared to death)

So natural was the best shot to avoid c section

Jesus, where the eff do you live? I'm not going to get hospitalized at this place and will ban my kids from moving there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: July 01, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »
Midwifes, OBs, whomever will do exactly the eff what you want them to until there's trouble, then it's all bets off. People in general need to do a better job of advocating for themselves in health care in general and with childbirth specifically. As a parent to be the best thing you can do is research what works best for your family, find a practitioner on the front end who will accommodate your needs then go with that plan.

The big secret here is that the doctors can't intervene without your express permission. Where this matters most is with VBACs. Some hospitals will say that we don't do those, that's false. Literally every hospital in America has to. You should pick a place and an OB that will do them, but if you get caught in a pinch, they have to do exactly what the hell you tell them to.

Source, the doc that did my wife's second attempted VBAC.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: July 05, 2021, 09:43:12 PM »

Jesus, where the eff do you live? I'm not going to get hospitalized at this place and will ban my kids from moving there.
Joco

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: July 06, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »

Joco

I was a bit strong here, but the doctors give way too many c sections, and these scheduled c sections are a blight on society.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: July 06, 2021, 06:47:51 PM »

Joco

I was a bit strong here, but the doctors give way too many c sections, and these scheduled c sections are a blight on society.
Exactly

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: July 06, 2021, 06:59:15 PM »

Joco

Exactly

It’s like an assembly line in there. I give them credit. They got us thru pretty damn efficiently for a v-back a bit over a month ago. Even worth for the c-sections. Doc’s scheduling them months in advance just doesn’t sit well.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: July 06, 2021, 07:01:16 PM »

Joco

Exactly

It’s like an assembly line in there. I give them credit. They got us thru pretty damn efficiently for a v-back a bit over a month ago. Even worth for the c-sections. Doc’s scheduling them months in advance just doesn’t sit well.

Not even if a mother previously had a c section? I believe that's common, but I'm only a cat daddy.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: July 06, 2021, 07:07:48 PM »

Joco

Exactly

Not even if a mother previously had a c section? I believe that's common, but I'm only a cat daddy.

Katpappy sock outed!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: July 06, 2021, 07:10:52 PM »

Joco

Exactly

That makes sense. I might have been thinking more of induced labor to the doc doesn’t have to miss his golf outing on Saturday or whatever.

Hospital births seem to get less personal with time. Prob more efficient now tho
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.