Author Topic: Kids  (Read 273053 times)

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #925 on: February 22, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »
When I took an anthropology elective at Kstate, they assigned everyone a foreign student to learn and hang out with for a semester.  I got a kid from Japan that was wearing a fluorescent orange tank top that said Cancun = Party. 

It was a fun semester.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 22, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »

Does she drink wine every meal?

No, but I do.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 22, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
When I took an anthropology elective at Kstate, they assigned everyone a foreign student to learn and hang out with for a semester.  I got a kid from Japan that was wearing a fluorescent orange tank top that said Cancun = Party. 

It was a fun semester.

That kid sounds amazing, name?

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 22, 2015, 03:49:53 PM »

It was a fun semester.

Name of the class?  I can't remember man, unless I try and find my transcript.  It was in 2006-2007 I believe.

It had to be the basic class though cause I just needed a credit as an elective so I'd look around the 100s if they even still do it.

Warning though, the majority of the kids were not like mine and wanted to research and study a lot.  I got lucky.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 22, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »
On to the next question.  Thoughts on < or > than 2.5 kids?

We definitely wanted two.  When both were boys, we decided to see if we could have a girl.  Boom...girl.  With that accomplished it was snip snip time.
@mikec2w

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: February 22, 2015, 04:19:06 PM »
"hey olga- the wife and i are going to harry's for dinner and then will prob swing by maes for a beer. should be back in about three hours. please make sure the kids get to bed on time and do a couple of loads of laundry while you're at it. thanks."

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 22, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »

We definitely wanted two.  When both were boys, we decided to see if we could have a girl.  Boom...girl.  With that accomplished it was snip snip time.

This is what is going to happen but we will end up with 6 boys.  Mrs. Dub wants a girl and there's only been one produced in like 4 generations previous in my fam.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 22, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »

This is what is going to happen but we will end up with 6 boys.  Mrs. Dub wants a girl and there's only been one produced in like 4 generations previous in my fam.

See if you can get a package deal with Stevesie to get a girl.  Boom, problem solved.
@mikec2w

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 22, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »
I think I'm good with just the one. Hoping she isn't one of those super weird only children  :dunno:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 22, 2015, 05:01:30 PM »
I think I'm good with just the one. Hoping she isn't one of those super weird only children  :dunno:

:sadpeek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 22, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »

:sadpeek:

that chick I married is one of "you people"
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 22, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
Not to bum everyone out, but I'm pretty sure my dad didn't plan on getting diagnosed with a terminal illness right before I left for college. 

Deferred gratification is important, but if it isn't balanced by an effort to make life enjoyable along the way then it is pointless.  Even if you live a long life, it won't be happy if you aren't don't make efforts to pursue your own happiness. 

My dad made plans for a retirement that didn't really come, he got to enjoy his years along the way.  I am doing the same.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 22, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »

It was a fun semester.

Name of the class?  I can't remember man, unless I try and find my transcript.  It was in 2006-2007 I believe.

It had to be the basic class though cause I just needed a credit as an elective so I'd look around the 100s if they even still do it.

Warning though, the majority of the kids were not like mine and wanted to research and study a lot.  I got lucky.

Why the heck would I care about the name of the class versus the name of japanese stud kid?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 22, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »

Not to bum everyone out, but I'm pretty sure my dad didn't plan on getting diagnosed with a terminal illness right before I left for college. 

Deferred gratification is important, but if it isn't balanced by an effort to make life enjoyable along the way then it is pointless.  Even if you live a long life, it won't be happy if you aren't don't make efforts to pursue your own happiness. 

My dad made plans for a retirement that didn't really come, he got to enjoy his years along the way.  I am doing the same.

Good post.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 22, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
"hey tran- easy on the starch next time and don't forget to take aiden to soccer practive at 5:30. it's on the fields behind annenberg five and six."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:59:44 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 22, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »
Yeah, my father in law had pretty big plans for his retirement and didn't end up surviving long enough to retire. A sobering reality.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 22, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »

it's a difficult balancing act.  even for people that live relatively long life spans, life is quite short.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:32 PM »

It was a fun semester.

Why the heck would I care about the name of the class versus the name of japanese stud kid?

Thought you were at KSU and wanted to delve into the world of anthropology and partying with foriegn students?

He went by Tsu because no one could get his name right.  He loved Manhattan though, was previously in California for 6 months or something and hated it.  Apparently either his hometown or all of Japan are not fond of Chinese people??  :dunno:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 22, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »

it's a difficult balancing act.  even for people that live relatively long life spans, life is quite short.

Life is an appropriately length for most.  But only if you accept that it is finite and that there is living to do.  My step-grandmother is approaching 100 and is miserable, Shwan died much too young.  I wish my father could've lived longer but living 60 years is no curse, all things considered.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 22, 2015, 06:35:26 PM »
Do what you want.

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy having my kids out of the house by the time I'm 45.

They will be out of the house by the time you're 45, then they'll probably move back in with you when you're 49 years old. They will move out probably shortly before your 56th birthday, I'd guess?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #945 on: February 22, 2015, 06:48:18 PM »
I'm 42.  And I have 5 kids.  The youngest is 3 and the oldest is 16.  I never get to do anything fun (except FF last year)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 22, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
t's&p's francis
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: February 22, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »
me and my gorgeous bride have 7 children (4 boys, 3 girls) ages ranging from 8 months to 11 yrs old.
those kids are the reason i get out of bed every day and put a smile on my face when i lay down at night.
i encourage everyone to take a minute each day and write a letter to your congressman asking for an autograph.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: February 22, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
Life is an appropriate length for most.

i don't think it is.  maybe it looks different at different times in your life - you are a good bit younger than i am.

one thing i strongly advocate is for people to consider life decisions from the viewpoint of how much a year of their lives are worth.  not from the how much could i earn with this time if i devoted it to earning as much as i could framework, but from the view that those number of years is very limited.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 22, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Not to offend anyone, but I think I want to check out around 80.  Have had some fam and friends make late eighties to late nineties and no thank you.

Having kids in my mid to late twenties and two years apart only created a 1-2 yr run where my career and family basically was just sanity survival.  I am very happy I did that then and not now, though.  I am very much an enjoy the journey guy.