Author Topic: Illinois cans Groce.  (Read 29634 times)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois cans Groce.
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »
Shoulda woulda coulda. Brad is a great con man for all we know. Keep moving around. Don't stay in one place too long or they will catch on. Eventually he will have to stay somewhere long enough to prove his mettle. If that happens, and he kicks major ass, you can all take a victory lap.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »
SdK your Brad crusade is weird, more so given you are not shy about telling us how big of a UK fan you are.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »

We could have had Brad for a small amount of money if Currie would have just hired him instead of oscar  like he should have.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »

We could have had Brad for a small amount of money if Currie would have just hired him instead of oscar  like he should have.
For a year, perhaps

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2017, 10:00:57 PM »
If he had a good enough year we would have paid him more, which is fair.   Just need to warm up the t-shirt machine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
If he had a good enough year we would have paid him more, which is fair.   Just need to warm up the t-shirt machine.

Not before Illini swooped in

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »

For a year, perhaps

It seems clear that it wasn't just about the money at OSU. Yes, Currie and Underwood would have clashed but Currie still would have gotten the Tennessee job. I'd like to think that Brad wouldn't have dipped given the AD candidates.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »
Shoulda woulda coulda. Brad is a great con man for all we know. Keep moving around. Don't stay in one place too long or they will catch on. Eventually he will have to stay somewhere long enough to prove his mettle. If that happens, and he kicks major ass, you can all take a victory lap.
What is your solution? Keep oscar until we can hire someone who is a sure thing?  Which means keep oscar forever.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »

For a year, perhaps

It seems clear that it wasn't just about the money at OSU. Yes, Currie and Underwood would have clashed but Currie still would have gotten the Tennessee job. I'd like to think that Brad wouldn't have dipped given the AD candidates.
He also like tripled his salary

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »

Not before Illini swooped in
I mean, if ksu would have gotten away with paying him 800k last year and then Illinois offered him 3 million this year, I'm sure ksu would have given him a raise.  But what do I know, I'm only using common sense.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2017, 10:11:18 PM »
Although I think Okie state had a better roster and Brad honestly wouldn't have done significantly better at KSU than oscar

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »

For a year, perhaps

He also like tripled his salary

Sure, haven't we've been hearing for a week that we had the money for a $6 million buyout plus making his salary around $2 million?

The K-State angle of this aside, I think this completely kills the notion of OSU being the basketball school it was before they expanded Gallagher-Iba. Their absolutely trash fan base has to also be a contributing factor.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2017, 10:16:31 PM »
Although I think Okie state had a better roster and Brad honestly wouldn't have done significantly better at KSU than oscar

I don't think they had a better roster but they clearly had the best player. I think K-State had better roster balance and it looks like both teams will end up having one draft pick.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »
Everyone knew we could have Brad if we were willing to spend a boatload of money. The real question was whether it would be worth it.

you're gonna spend a boatload of money on any decent coach.  you might get one bargain year on a budget hire, but you're not gonna retain anyone for under market.

Market plus $6 million in our case.  That is a part of the K-State calculus that does not apply to Illinois.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
the lesson people should take from this is that it's stupid to try to underpay coaches.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
SdK your Brad crusade is weird, more so given you are not shy about telling us how big of a UK fan you are.

This.

bears are fast...

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
How do those two have anything to do with each other?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2017, 10:51:45 PM »
What is your solution? Keep oscar until we can hire someone who is a sure thing?  Which means keep oscar forever.

I'll let the post you quoted stand on it's own. It's how I feel and I have no more to add to it.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »

I'll let the post you quoted stand on it's own. It's how I feel and I have no more to add to it.

Your post about Brad being a "con man" is where you lose all credibility. WAY too many people from K-State have known him since before he played at K-State and know he's the furthest thing from being a con man.

He earned his P5 shot with his work at SFA and obviously profited via Illinois due to Holder/OSU's mismanagement of the situation in Stillwater.

bears are fast...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2017, 11:49:59 PM »
How do those two have anything to do with each other?

You are calling Brad unscrupulous because he had the audacity to triple his salary. While I don't agree at all, the biggest criticism of UK is how unscrupulous Cal is. Being a big UK fan I'd think you'd be sensitive to calling a coach unscrupulous just because he's doing what's best for him.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
I was grumpy today watching the lady cats commit so many turnovers. I saw the Brad move and decided to take my anger out in this thread. Poor move on my part.

I'm happy for Brad. He made a smart move for himself and his career. I wish him the best.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2017, 12:19:50 AM »
I was grumpy today watching the lady cats commit so many turnovers. I saw the Brad move and decided to take my anger out in this thread. Poor move on my part.

I'm happy for Brad. He made a smart move for himself and his career. I wish him the best.

I agree. Kudos to Illinois for stepping up.

This would have been an ideal opportunity for Laird Veatch to distinguish himself. He failed in that opportunity. That is what it is.

At this point, were I in the decision-making process, I'd fire the men's bball coach and give the new AD a clean slate. Why should they be saddled with running a known loser?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2017, 12:20:43 AM »
the lesson people should take from this is that it's stupid to try to underpay coaches.

That lesson should've been learned back at pay frank

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:56 AM »
Underwood has to know that the timing looks slimy.  The only thing he gained by announcing the deal the day after his team's tourney loss (i.e., going scorched earth on the OSU AD) was the ability to broadcast a giant middle finger to someone he obviously hated.  Childish and slightly damaging to his own reputation, but hilarious and really aggressive.  If it wasn't already abundantly clear that Brad is the effing boss, it should be now.